The American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card is an ideal choice for frequent Delta flyers looking for a card that offers useful travel perks for a low annual fee. It is also a good option for individuals who want a credit card that will help them earn miles from day-to-day expenses. It offers no international transaction fees and an introductory $0 annual fee for the first year, then $99 for subsequent years.
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Review
Individuals looking for basic flyer perks, such as priority boarding and free first checked bags, may find the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card benefits suitable for their needs. This credit card allows you to earn double miles from your daily expenses at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets. An added benefit is the welcome offer of 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months. If you spend $10,000 in purchases within a calendar year, you get a $100 Delta flight credit.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card at a Glance
Make the most of American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card benefits by practicing good financial habits. You can use it for your everyday purchases at restaurants and supermarkets to earn double miles. This credit card is also good for international travel since it does not have foreign transaction fees.
- American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
A great credit card for individuals looking for basic travel perks and more opportunities to earn miles
- Good–ExcellentCredit Needed
- $99Annual Fee
- 1–2 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
Pros & Cons Explained
While the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card offers many benefits, it also has drawbacks. Before going through the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card application, make sure you understand these pros and cons first.
- No foreign transaction feeThis credit card is great for international use because there are no foreign transaction fees.
- $100 Delta flight creditIf you spend $10,000 in purchases in a calendar year using this credit card, you can get $100 off your next Delta flight.
- Basic Delta perksCardholders can get their first checked bag for free and enjoy priority boarding on every Delta flight.
- Up to 20% savingsMaking in-flight purchases using the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card allows the cardholder to save up to 20% in the form of a statement credit.
- High interest ratesThe APR for purchases of this credit card is high at 15.74%–24.74%. Similarly, the APR for cash advances is also high, at 25.24%. The high interest rates can be a drawback if you do not pay your monthly bills in full.
- High penalty APRThis credit card also has a penalty APR for accounts with one or more late payments and those whose payments were returned. The interest rate is 29.99%.
- Annual feeThe $0 annual fee is only applicable in the first year. After that, you will be paying $99 annually.
- No luxury benefitsThe travel perks for this credit card are limited to the basics. Other miles rewards cards have better premium benefits.
While a great basic miles card, the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card is not among MoneyGeek’s selection for the best credit cards for rewards. If you are looking for a credit card with better travel perks, consider getting competing travel rewards cards.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The different bonuses and rewards that come with the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card make it an appealing option for many individuals. You can enjoy welcome bonuses, opportunities to earn miles and buy tickets by redeeming miles. Familiarize yourself with these features and compare them with other credit cards to ensure you are getting the right card for your needs.
As a welcome offer, new cardholders can earn 70,000 bonus miles if they make $1,000 worth of purchases within the first three months.
Earn and redeem miles
Using the card for day-to-day expenses allows you to earn miles, which can be used for flight ticket payments. Earn 2x miles at restaurants and supermarkets and on direct Delta purchases. For other eligible purchases, you can earn one mile for every dollar.
Introductory annual fee
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold card has an annual fee of $99. However, this is waived in the first year.
Delta flight credit
By spending a total of $10,000 in purchases in one calendar year, you will receive a $100 Delta flight credit that you can use on your next trip.
Other Features Explained
When choosing a credit card, it is important to consider your needs and circumstances. See if the features that they offer are beneficial for you. For instance, the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card has limited travel perks. However, it has security features and customer support services that can be useful to cardholders.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Extended warrantyIf you use the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card for covered purchases, you automatically get a one-year warranty extension added to the original manufacturer’s warranty. This applies to covered purchases in the U.S. with warranties of five years or less.
- Purchase protectionUsing this credit card to pay for covered purchases gives you protection against accidental damage or theft for up to 90 days from the date you purchased the item.
- Dispute resolutionIf you find a fraudulent or incorrect charge on your statement, American Express will help you resolve the issue.
"To get an idea of how many miles you will need to make a redemption with the miles you’ve earned, start searching Delta’s frequent flier program, Skymiles. A bonus goes a long way toward earning a free trip!" - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Aside from the features, bonuses and offers, it is important to understand the fees, interest rates and reward earning rates. This way, you can determine whether it is a good addition to your wallet and will be helpful in managing your finances.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$99
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2 Miles per $1
- Airline Benefits
The annual percentage rate (APR) for purchases made through the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card is 15.74%–24.74%. The APR for cash advances, on the other hand, is 25.24%. Additionally, the APR for penalties for those with one or more late payments and those whose payments are returned by the bank is 29.99%. These rates are high, so you may want to make sure you can pay your bills in full every month. The APR varies with the market depending on the Prime Rate.
There is a $99 annual fee for this card. However, it is waived in the first year. There are no fees for foreign transactions. If you plan on using this card for balance transfers, keep in mind that there is a transaction fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. For cash advances, the transaction fee is either $10 or 5%. Penalty fees for late and returned payments are up to $40.
Earning miles is easily achieved through day-to-day purchases. If you use the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card, you can earn 2x miles at restaurants and supermarkets and on direct Delta purchases. Other eligible purchases let you earn 1x mile per dollar.
The different features, fees and offers can be found on the card issuer’s website. If you already have a credit card, you can check your latest billing statement, mobile app or online account. You can also find specific information about different credit cards using the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
There are many factors to consider when choosing a credit card. One of these is how you will use it in the future. There are different drawbacks and advantages of using the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card as your first and only card compared to using it as an additional credit card.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you are thinking of using the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card as your first or only card, consider the purchases you will be making. You can use it at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets to earn double miles. However, it has a high APR. You can make this card work well for you if you can pay your bills in full monthly. Another option is to not use it for big purchases if you can’t pay it off regularly. If you travel, you can use this for international purchases without worrying about foreign transaction fees. You can also save money as it offers a free checked bag for each flight.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you have other credit cards, review the rewards and fees and see if there are some expenses you can shift to this credit card. For instance, the miles you can earn at restaurants, supermarkets and other eligible purchases may help you save on flights in the long run. If you need a card with no transaction fee for international purchases, you can also benefit from this credit card. Since this card has an annual fee, consider the pros it offers. Make sure the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card benefits outweigh the cons. For instance, if you plan on using it for many purchases totaling $10,000 in a year, you can get a $100 Delta flight credit. This can be a great way to earn back the annual fee.
MoneyGeek’s methodology and review process includes the collection of information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database and the credit card companies to ensure accuracy of data. In evaluating each company, standardized points based on fees, bonuses and rewards are used. The process is done regularly to reflect the changes in credit card details and offers.
How American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Compares to Other Cards
Generally, the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card can compete with other cards in its category. It offers many opportunities to earn miles, along with basic travel perks, an affordable annual fee and no foreign transaction fee. However, it is important to shop around and compare features to ensure you are getting the best credit card based on your finances and needs.
Quick Comparison of American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
- Annual Fee: $0 in the first year and $99 in subsequent years
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Regular APR on Purchases: 15.74%–24.74%
- Welcome Bonus: Earn 75,000 bonus miles by spending $2,000 in purchases within the first three months
- Best For: Delta travelers looking for basic travel perks and more opportunities to earn miles
United Gateway Card
- Annual Fee: $0
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Regular APR on Purchases: 16.49%–23.49%
- Welcome Bonus: Up to 30,000 bonus miles (15,000 after spending $1,000 within the first three months and 15,000 after spending $3,000 within the first six months)
- Best For: United travelers looking for a no-annual-fee rewards card
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Understanding all features of a credit card is crucial in making a decision. Below are some of the frequently asked questions about the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card to help you decide if it is right for you.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
Frequent travelers who think basic flight perks are enough and are more concerned about earning miles may find the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card a great option. However, other users may have other priorities when choosing the best credit card. Other types of credit cards, such as cash back cards, offer more rewards for consistent use. If you plan on using the credit card for your business, then a business credit card is more suitable for you.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Chase United Club Infinite
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "American Express Delta Gold Credit Card." Accessed September 2, 2021.
- American Express. "American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card Terms, Conditions & Disclosures." Accessed September 2, 2021.
- Chase United Gateway. "Pricing & Terms." Accessed September 2, 2021.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. "Credit Card Agreement Database." Accessed September 2, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed September 2, 2021.
- United Gateway. "United Gateway Card." Accessed September 2, 2021.