American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card Review
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card is a great option for travelers looking for a basic credit card with mileage rewards and no annual fee. It is best for travelers who want to earn rewards while keeping costs to a minimum.
The Delta SkyMiles Blue Card is best suited for people looking for a card that allows them to casually earn rewards on Delta purchases and dining expenses. While other Delta cards may have more perks, this card is a more straightforward card without the perks. It also has no annual fees or foreign transaction fees. Use MoneyGeek’s American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card review to compare the pros and cons with other options and ensure you are getting the best card for your needs.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card at a Glance
Generally, the best miles credit card will depend on your needs as a cardholder. If you are only looking for a basic credit card, then the American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card’s benefits may be enough for you. This card allows you to earn miles from restaurant purchases and eligible Delta purchases. It is also ideal for international use as it does not have foreign transaction fees and there is no annual fee.
- American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
A great miles rewards card with no annual fees
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 2 Miles per $1*Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
Pros & Cons Explained
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card offers various benefits to cardholders. However, it is also important to understand its limitations.
- No annual feeThe American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card is the only Delta card that has no annual fee. However, other rewards credit cards may also offer the same benefit.
- No foreign transaction feesCardholders can make purchases in other countries without worrying about expensive foreign transaction fees. This is not a common benefit among credit cards of similar type and level.
- Payment using miles that do not expireCardholders can earn miles through various eligible purchases on the card. These do not expire and can be used as payment for ticket prices.
- Save up to 20%Using the Delta SkyMiles Blue Card for in-flight purchases, such as food, alcoholic beverages, audio headsets and eligible pre-purchased meals, gives the cardholder a 20% discount in the form of a statement credit that will appear around 8–12 weeks after the posting of the transaction.
- Limited travel perksAmerican Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card benefits do not include travel perks similar to those that charge annual fees. For instance, there is no priority boarding or free checked bags. If you are a frequent traveler looking for the best rewards, consider other travel credit cards.
- High APRThere is no intro APR for this card. Additionally, the regular APR is high. Interest rates for purchases are 15.74%–24.74%, while the rate for cash advances is 25.24%.
While this is a good option for a basic card, MoneyGeek’s American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card review shows that it may not be the best option for some of our readers. Check out MoneyGeek's selection of best rewards credit cards for 2022.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Aside from having no annual and foreign transaction fees, Delta SkyMiles Blue Card also offers various opportunities to earn miles and enjoy some rewards.
Up to 20% Savings
With the American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card, you can get up to 20% savings on eligible in-flight purchases in the form of a statement credit.
There are a few different ways to earn miles with American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card, which you can use to pay for tickets. You can get one mile for every dollar spent on everyday purchases and two miles for every dollar of eligible purchases at restaurants and with Delta. You can get up to $50 off on your flight costs for every 5,000 miles redeemed through a delta.com booking.
As a welcome offer, new cardholders can earn up to 10,000 bonus miles if they spend $500 in purchases within the first three months of card membership.
Other Features Explained
To find the best credit card, you have to consider your needs as a user. Understand your options well and compare the features that each card offers. Although American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card benefits are limited, there are security features you may be interested in.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Car Rental Loss and Damage InsuranceIf you use an eligible card to reserve and pay for the rental of a vehicle and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental company, this insurance will cover damages to or theft of the rental vehicle as long as it is in a covered territory. Check the terms and conditions to see if the place you are visiting is covered. For liability coverage, you will need separate insurance.
- Get Emergency Support 24/7American Express’ Global Assist hotline is available to cardholders traveling more than 100 miles from home. You can get emergency assistance or coordination service 24/7. These may include medical or legal referrals, emergency cash wires and assistance for missing luggage. Keep in mind that there may be fees and charges from third-party service providers.
- Protection for Covered PurchasesUsing your card to buy certain purchases will give you coverage against accidental damage or theft up to 90 days from the date the covered purchase was made.
"It’s not common to see a card with no annual fee also not charge foreign transaction fees. If you’re traveling abroad and do not have another rewards card, this one is a great option." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
If you are thinking of going through the American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card application, make sure you understand all features, rates and fees. Consider the APR, transaction fees and rewards rates.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate2 Miles per $1*
- Airline Benefits
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card has a fairly high variable APR of 15.74%–24.74% for purchases. For cash advances, the variable APR is 25.24%. APR for late payments or those returned by the bank is 29.99%.
There are no annual fees or foreign transaction fees. However, cardholders have to pay either $5 or 3% for every balance transfer, whichever amount is higher. For every cash advance transaction, cardholders have to pay the greater between $10 or 5% of the amount.
The rates to earn miles vary depending on the transaction. If you use your card at restaurants, you can earn 2x miles. Similarly, purchases made directly with Delta allow you to earn 2x miles. For other eligible purchases, the rate is 1x miles.
Shop around and compare fees, rates and features to find the best credit card suitable for your needs. Learn more about each card by checking specific information. If you already have a card to compare, check your latest billing statement and online or mobile app account. The terms and conditions for credit cards can also be found on the company’s website or the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
Before you decide whether you should get an American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card or not, figure out how you will be using it. Are you going to use it as your only card or as an additional credit card? Your needs and considerations will vary depending on your usage.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you are thinking of using the Delta SkyMiles Blue Card as your first or only credit card, consider the high APR when using it to pay for purchases. While it offers many opportunities to earn miles, the high APR can increase your expenses if you do not pay your balance in full every month. However, this card can work well if you pay in full monthly as it does not have annual or foreign transaction fees.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
This card is a good additional card in your wallet if you are looking for one with no annual or transaction fees. You can use it to make purchases and earn miles, which you can use to pay for tickets. To maximize the benefits, check the rewards, features and fees of your other credit cards. Check if there are certain spending categories that you can shift to this card. Due to the high APR of the Delta SkyMiles Blue Card, it may be best to only use it for eligible purchases that you can pay in full when the billing period ends.
MoneyGeek used a well-defined methodology to complete this American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card review. For data accuracy, information was collected from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database and the credit card companies themselves. MoneyGeek uses standardized data points to evaluate credit cards. These include fees, bonuses, rewards and estimated average spending profiles. The process is conducted regularly to reflect how credit card details and offers change.
How American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card Compares to Other Cards
If you are looking for a basic card for your travels, then this card can be a good option. It has a Pay with Miles feature and has no annual or foreign transaction fees. However, it has a high APR and does not have the travel perks that other similar cards offer.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
Quick Comparison of American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
- Annual Fee: $0
- APR for Purchases: 15.74%–24.74% variable
- Foreign Transaction Fee: $0
- New Cardmember Offer: 10,000 bonus miles if you spend $500 within the first 3 months
- Best for: Individuals looking for a basic rewards card to earn miles with no annual or foreign transaction fees
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Card
Annual Fee: $0 APR for Purchases: 0% intro APR for 12 months, then 15.49%–25.49% variable Foreign Transaction Fee: $0 New Cardmember Offer: 20,000 bonus miles if you spend $500 within the first 3 months Best for: Frequent travelers looking for a rewards card with a generous intro APR
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Learn more about the American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card with the help of these answers to some frequently asked questions.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
To ensure that the credit card you get is suitable for your needs, consider how you plan on using it. Shop around and compare features and fees from multiple credit cards. If you are not interested in a travel miles rewards card, consider a balance transfer card or business credit card.
Chase Ink Business Cash
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
Citi Simplicity Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature Card
Capital One SavorOne Rewards
Mastercard Titanium Card
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Bank of America Travel Rewards for Students
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Capital One SavorOne Rewards for Students
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Rewards Visa
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Navy Federal Visa cashRewards Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Capital One Spark Miles
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select
American Express Gold Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select - Good Credit
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business
Capital One Venture X
Capital One VentureOne Rewards
Mastercard Black Card
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Card
Citi Double Cash Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Chase Slate Edge
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Card
Chase United Business
American Express Hilton Honors Card
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Rewards
Chase United Club Infinite
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card Application Terms and Conditions." Accessed August 31, 2021.
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Blue Credit Card." Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Capital One. "Capital One VentureOne Rewards Card." Accessed August 31, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed August 31, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.