If you are looking for a company with a wide range of auto insurance options, solid financial stability and attractive discounts for safe drivers, State Farm car insurance could make an excellent provider. However, customer service reviews from the company are average, so you may need to compare quotes from other providers if you prefer a carrier with exceptional customer satisfaction.
Auto Insurance Review: State Farm
State Farm is the largest provider of auto insurance with thousands of agents spread across 33 states. The size of the company means that they’re more financially stable than many of their competitors. State Farm also offers a broad selection of discounts. Unlike other carriers, State Farm provides funeral expenses as part of its coverage, as well as coverage for specialty vehicles, snowmobiles, off-road vehicles, and motorcycles. However, those who value high-quality customer service and affordable premiums might want to look elsewhere.
How Does State Farm Auto Insurance Rate?
As the car insurance provider with the largest market share across the country, State Farm holds a high rank among its competitors. According to AM Best, State Farm ranks high among providers for financial stability. That quality alone makes it one of the best car insurance companies in the nation.
While State Farm offers an array of discounts for drivers who meet specific thresholds, it also receives a significant number of complaints, which translates to an average customer satisfaction score.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Based on data provided by J.D. Power, State Farm receives a score of 837 out of 1,000 points for customer satisfaction. Considering that the industry average is 835 points, State Farm's reputation in this area is slightly above that of a typical insurer. J.D. Power data was also integrated into these star ratings, giving you a feel for their reputation in some more specific categories.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) tracks the number of complaints issued against insurance providers. Scores are obtained by comparing an insurer’s number of complaints to the default national median of 1. A lower score indicates fewer complaints. State Farm car insurance company has a score of 1.28, meaning that the company receives more complaints than most insurance companies in the country.
AM Best evaluates the financial strength of an insurance company to determine if it is capable of fulfilling its financial commitment to clients. State Farm received an AM Best financial strength rating of A++, which is also the highest among all auto insurance companies surveyed.
State Farm Insurance Features
To meet customer needs adequately, State Farm provides various online support tools and policy account management frameworks for filing claims, paying bills and calculating insurance rates. Besides working with an agent to manage your policy, you can also access all available services online or through the State Farm app.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Price QuotesReceive real-time price quotes through the State Farm website.
- Online Bill PayPay your bills through the State Farm website or mobile app.
- Online ClaimsFiling a claim can be done through an agent, on the State Farm website, or through the mobile app. You can also initiate claims over the phone.
- Mobile AppThe mobile app has several tools and FAQs available to help you manage your insurance policy effectively.
- Financial AdviceInformation and other financial resources are available on the State Farm website in the form of FAQs. These are also available on the mobile app.
State Farm Auto Coverage
State Farm auto insurance provides plenty of standard and optional coverage options, which vary by state and can be customized based on each customer’s needs. They include liability, comprehensive, medical payments, collision and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCollision coverage pays for damages if your car hits another vehicle or object or turns over in an accident.
- Personal Injury ProtectionState Farm may add personal injury to your coverage to protect you in case of an injury. However, you will need to contact your agent to add this feature to your policy.
- UninsuredWhen another person causes an accident and injures you and their insurance is not enough to compensate you for personal and property damages, you can use this coverage to make up the difference.
- LiabilityThe standard liability coverage protects you if you injure someone or damage their property in an accident. This coverage from State Farm provides additional coverage than the state minimum, which may also not be enough to offer the requisite protection in case of an accident.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Aside from standard auto insurance coverage, State Farm provides a broad range of add-on coverage options, including roadside assistance, rental reimbursement and auto glass repair.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementThe State Farm rental reimbursement coverage pays for a rental car when your vehicle is out of service due to a covered incident. It also covers travel expense reimbursements for meals, accommodation and transportation if your claim is over 50 miles away from home.
- Roadside AssistanceIf you purchase additional roadside assistance coverage, you can contact State Farm any time you receive roadside assistance and bill the company. If your policy does not include this coverage, you can still contact the company to receive towing and other roadside assistance services at a discount.
- Auto Glass RepairState Farm provides coverage for windshield and glass repair through a third party company, LYNX
Available Discounts on State Farm Car Insurance Coverage
While getting a car insurance quote from State Farm, you may come across various discounts depending on factors such as your driving record and policy type. These include anti-theft, multi-car, safe driving and vehicle safety discounts.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverMaintaining an accident-free record for three years earns you premiums.
- Defensive DriverA policyholder’s safety course can earn you a discount on State Farm car insurance.
- Driver TrainingDrivers who have completed basic driver training successfully and are under age 21 can receive lower insurance rates.
- Multi VehicleHaving more than one vehicle on your policy can qualify you for a discount.
- Anti TheftDrivers with at least one anti-theft device on their vehicle may be eligible for a discount from State Farm insurance.
Other State Farm Insurance Products
On top of car insurance, State Farm insurance provides several other policies, such as homeowners and renters insurance. Bundling your auto insurance with a different insurance type can save you a significant percentage of your premium.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceProtect your home, personal property and other valuable items from damage with the homeowners insurance coverage.
- Renters InsuranceIf you stay in a rental property, you can get coverage for your personal property such as electronics, furniture and clothing using this coverage.
- Condo InsuranceState Farm condominium unit owners insurance covers personal property losses due to theft, fire, and other weather and non-weather related incidents.
- Landlord InsuranceRental property insurance is for property owners. It covers property that you rent out and helps pay for any injury, property damage and liability claims made against you.
- Rideshare InsuranceState Farm offers competitive Rideshare insurance coverage for drivers who work with a ridesharing company like Uber or Lyft.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With State Farm
If you have a State Farm insurance policy, the easiest way to initiate a claim is through the company website. Once you log in, go to the claims section and provide details about your accident to get started. You can also use the State Farm mobile app, call the company’s claims line, or contact your agent directly. Ensure that you have your policy information ready before initiating a claim.
Contact State Farm Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- J.D. Power. "Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Reaches Record High as Carriers Refine Time-Consuming Processes, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed January 5, 2021.
- Insurance Information Institute. "Top 10 Writers of Private Passenger Auto Insurance By Direct Premiums Written, 2019." Accessed January 5, 2021.