Discover it® Student chrome Review
The Discover it® Student chrome benefits students that want to build credit and earn cashback rewards. In addition to a 0% intro APR, Discover will match all cash back rewards accrued in the first 12 months. That means that you can earn up to double the rewards in your first year as a Discover it® Student chrome user.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
You can earn up to $1,000 per quarter in 2% cash back rewards for gas and dining purchases. Additionally, you can earn 1% cash back on all other purchases up to any amount – there is no earnings cap for 1% cash back rewards. Discover will also match all rewards accumulated during the first year. For example, if you earn $100 in cash back rewards during your first 12 billing cycles, Discover will give you an additional $100.
Students do not need a credit score to apply for the Discover it Student Chrome, and it doesn’t have an annual fee. Since it reports to all three credit bureaus, it’s a good choice for students who want to build their credit.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Discover it® Student chrome at a Glance
Used responsibly, students can earn rewards and build credit through the Discover it® Student chrome. You can earn up to $1,000 per quarter through its 2% cash back rewards on gas and restaurant purchases and 1% cash back rewards on everything else.
- Discover it® Student chrome
A good student credit card with bonus cash back categories
- Limited–FairRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1%–2% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
- 2xRewards Rate on Gas
Pros & Cons Explained
Before applying for a Discover it® Student chrome credit card, it’s important to understand the basics of a credit card. That way, you can more accurately compare the pros and cons of each card.
MoneyGeek outlined the pros and cons of the Discover it® Student chrome to make the process easier for you.
- Offers cash back rewardsYou will receive 1% to 2% in cash back rewards on all purchases made with your Discover it® Student chrome. You’ll receive 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases up to $1,000 per quarter. This includes cafes, takeout, deliveries and fast food. You can also receive 1% cash back on all other purchases that exceed the quarterly cap or fall to other categories. Rewards can be disbursed in many forms including cash, statement credit, gift card, PayPal credit or a donation to your preferred charity.
- Cash back match for the first yearDiscover will match all the cash back rewards you’ve earned over the course of your first 12 billing cycles. If you earned $100 in rewards at the end of the first 12 billing cycles, you’ll receive another $100. This promo covers all the rewards you’ve earned, and it’s not restricted by purchase minimums.
- No annual feeLike other student cards, Discover it® Student chrome doesn’t have an annual fee.
- No credit score requirementThe Discover it® Student chrome credit score requirement is similar to most other student cards, in that you don’t need a credit score to be eligible for a card. However, you will need to present a proof of income when applying for this card.
- Poor international acceptanceAlthough the Discover it® Student chrome doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees, it suffers from limited acceptance outside the U.S. Because of this, you may find it difficult to use if you’re traveling overseas.
- International students can’t applyDiscover it® Student chrome requires cardholders to have a Social Security Number, similar to other student cards. As such, international students that don’t have an SSN can’t get this card.
- Has a spending limit for the 2% cash backThe 2% cash back rewards rate is generous, but it’s limited to $1,000 per quarter. If you spend more than this and want to earn more in cash back rewards, you may want to consider other card options.
Each month, MoneyGeek evaluates credit cards in our database and compiles a list of the best for popular categories. Although the Discover it® Student chrome didn’t make it on our list, you can check our picks for the best student cards of 2022.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The biggest benefit of the Discover it® Student chrome is the cash back rewards program. You can earn 1% cash back on all purchases, and 2% cash back for up to $1,000 worth of gas and restaurant purchases per quarter. The regular 1% rate covers all categories and doesn’t have a limit.
Moreover, all rewards earned during your first year of using the Discover it® Student chrome will get matched. If you earned $100 in rewards, you’ll get another $100 as a bonus.
You can redeem your rewards through:
You can choose to deposit your rewards to your bank account or use them as a statement credit.
Pay with Rewards
Pay for your Amazon or PayPal purchases using your cash back rewards.
If you have at least $5 in rewards, you can redeem your cash back as a gift card.
You can donate to a charity using the rewards you’ve earned.
Other Features Explained
Beyond its cash back rewards, the Discover it® Student chrome offers other benefits and features, including:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Access to Discover’s mobile appWith Discover’s mobile app, you can track and manage your rewards, message customer service, view your FICO score and more.
- Free Identity Protection alertYou’ll get notified if it's found that your Social Security number is being used on the Dark Web.
- Ability to disable cardYou can use Discover’s mobile app to temporarily freeze your card if you lose it. This blocks purchases, cash advances or balance transfers using your card.
You can use the Discover it® Student chrome to finance an upcoming purchase. It features 0% APR for the first six months, which means you won’t be charged any interest during that period. After six months, your APR will increase to 17.24% – 26.24%, depending on your credit score.
Understanding the Fine Print
Before you decide if the Discover it® Student chrome is a good fit for your needs, it’s a good idea to read its fine print and understand its various fees. Like most student cards, it doesn’t have an annual fee. It offers cash back rewards on all purchases, but keep in mind that failing to settle your statement in full each payment period will result in interest payments.
>>MORE: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BALANCE TRANSFERS WITH DISCOVER
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR17.24% – 26.24% variable
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1%–2% Cash Back
- Airline Benefits
After the Discover it® Student chrome’s six-month intro APR (0% for purchases and 10.99% for balance transfers), its regular APR is 17.24% – 26.24%. This rate varies based on your creditworthiness. Note that the APR for cash advances is 229.24%.
Cash Back Rewards Rate
For your first $1,000 per quarter spent on gas and restaurants, the Discover it® Student chrome gives a 2% cash back reward. For purchases exceeding that limit or falling to other categories, the cash back rate is 1%. There’s no limit on how much rewards you can earn, and they never expire. However, Discover will credit your unused cash back rewards once your account is closed or if you haven’t used your account in 18 months.
Balance Transfer Fee
The Discover it® Student chrome’s balance transfer fee is 3% for the first three months, and it becomes 5% afterward.
Cash Advance Fee
Whenever you take out cash from your Discover it® Student chrome, you pay either $10 or 5% of the advanced amount, whichever is greater.
Late Payment Fee
You don’t have to pay a penalty the first time that you miss your due date. However, you can pay up to $41 for any subsequent late payments.
If you’re comparing the Discover it® Student chrome with other student cards, carefully review their APRs and all associated fees. Such information can be easily accessible on the provider’s website. However, if you’re comparing this card with your current credit card, you can use your last billing statement or check your provider’s website or mobile app. You can also find additional information through the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)’s credit card agreement database.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Discover it® Student chrome?
Other Considerations for Discover it® Student chrome
Whether you’ll use the Discover it® Student chrome on its own or as an additional card affects its overall utility as a financial tool. Since it doesn’t have an annual fee, it’s great as an additional card. However, it’s also a reliable card on its own, especially for people who are only just starting to build their credit.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
The Discover it® Student chrome is a good first credit card because you don’t need a credit score to apply, and it doesn’t carry any annual fees. Moreover, you can use it to improve your credit score and gain cash back rewards in the process.
However, if you’re planning to use it as your only card, keep in mind that the 2% cash back rate for gas and restaurant spending has a $1,000 per quarter cap. You can still get 1% cash back rewards on all purchases afterward, but other people might prefer a card that has a higher cash back rate or spending cap. Additionally, the Discover it® Student chrome is not ideal if you frequently go overseas.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Since the Discover it® Student chrome doesn’t have an annual fee, it’s a perfect additional card in your wallet. You can pair it with another cash back card and earn savings on gas and restaurant purchases. And because the card doubles all your earned points during the first year, you can get up to 4% cash back on your spending.
MoneyGeek uses a detailed and streamlined research process when reviewing credit cards. We collect data from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database, standardize data points for easy analysis, estimate average spend profiles, determine a card’s long-term value and conduct routine re-ranking to ensure our analysis and recommendations remain up to date.
How Discover it® Student chrome Compares to Other Cards
The Discover it® Student chrome performs well when compared to other student cards. It has all the features one expects of a card in its category: $0 annual fee, no credit score requirement needed and cash back rewards. However, its bonus 2% rate for gas and dining as well as its cash back match feature make it stand out from the crowd.
Quick Comparison of Discover it Student chrome
Discover it® Student chrome
- Intro APR: 0% for the first six months, then a variable APR of 17.24% – 26.24% thereafter
- APR: 17.24% – 26.24% variable
- Cash back rate: 2% for gas and restaurants (with $1,000 per quarter spending cap); 1% on all other purchases
- Annual fee: $0
- Intro offer: Matches all cash back rewards earned during the first year
- Requirements: Doesn’t need a credit score, but requires cardholders to have a Social Security number
- Best for: Students who are starting to build their credit
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
- APR: 22.99% variable
- Cash back rate: 1% on all purchases
- Annual fee: $0
- Intro offer: Complimentary Amazon Prime Student for a year
- Requirements: Doesn’t need a credit score and Social Security number
- Best for: International students looking for a simple and easy-access credit card
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
MoneyGeek answered some frequently asked questions about the Discover it® Student chrome to help you decide if it’s the right one for you.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you’re having hesitations about the Discover it® Student chrome, consider exploring your options beyond student cards. You can also check other cash back cards and secured cards to see if those are a better fit.
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
American Express Cash Magnet® Card
American Express® Gold Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
World of Hyatt Credit Card
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Mastercard® Black Card™
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
American Express® Business Gold Card
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard® Secured Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Iberia Visa Signature® Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Citi® Double Cash Card
United℠ Business Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
United℠ Explorer Card
United Gateway℠ Card
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Citi Premier® Card
Citi Rewards+® Card
Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
Hilton Honors American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Merrick Bank Double Your Line® Secured Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
Credit One Bank® NASCAR® American Express® Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card for Students
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card
PenFed Pathfinder® Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
Citi Simplicity® Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
Spark 1.5% Cash Select
Chase Slate Edge℠
Learn more about credit cards in general
- CFPB. "Agreements by ‘Discover Bank." Accessed April 13, 2022.
- Discover. "Discover It Student Chrome." Accessed May 13, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed April 13, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.