The Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard is a compelling choice if you travel frequently on American Airlines. The free checked bag perk, preferred boarding, 25% inflight savings and generous mileage discounts more than make up for the $99 annual fee.
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard Review
The Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard’s benefits are ideal for any business with frequent travel expenses. One of the key perks of this card is the generous rewards on telecom expenses, cable and satellite purchases as well as car rentals and gas stations. This card also comes with several conveniences that a frequent flyer will appreciate, including preferred boarding and 25% off on in-flight food and beverage purchases.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard at a Glance
The Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard is one of few travel cards that allow you to access American Airlines reduced mileage redemptions. You can get a 7,500-mile discount when you book a flight to select destinations using your AAdvantage miles.
- Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
One of the top business travel cards for frequent American Airlines travelers
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 1–2 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate on Groceries
Pros & Cons Explained
If you are wondering whether the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard is the travel card for you, here are some of its key pros and cons to consider.
- Excellent travel perksIf you want a travel card that gets you access to preferred boarding as well as a free checked bag for you and up to four companions, the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard is ideal. This card also gets you 25% savings on in-flight food and Wi-Fi on American Airlines flights.
- No foreign transaction feeInternational travelers can save a lot on transaction fees by using a card like the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard since it has no foreign transaction fees.
- Generous welcome bonusIf you spend $4,000 in the first four months, you will earn 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles. You will also avoid paying the annual fee for the first 12 months, meaning you can get the maximum value out of your card during this period.
- $99 annual feeThe Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard costs $99 per year. This is somewhat costly compared to other cards in the same category.
- No airport lounge accessFor a travel card with an annual fee, you would expect to have airport lounge access. However, the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard does not have this perk.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
It’s important to understand the benefits and rewards before signing up for any credit card. This way you can analyze your spending habits and determine if you’ll be able to maximize the card’s perks.
This credit card comes with a welcome bonus of 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles if you spend at least $4,000 in the first four months.
The Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard earns you two miles per dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, telecom and satellite purchases, cable, car rentals and gas stations. You will also earn one mile per dollar on all other eligible purchases. This means that for people who spend a lot on business travel, this card is a great way to earn AAdvantage bonus miles.
You can redeem your Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard rewards for air travel, flight upgrades, car rentals, hotel stays, donations and Admirals Club membership. However, you will get the most value when you redeem your rewards for flights on American Airlines or any of its Oneworld partners.
If you regularly fly American Airlines being a Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard cardholder comes with several perks. For example, you and up to four traveling companions can check one bag free when traveling on domestic flights with American Airlines. As a CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum member, you get access to preferred boarding. Additionally, you will get 25% off on your American Airlines flight purchases, including beverages and food as well as Wi-Fi.
Maximizing Your Rewards
To get the most out of your Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard, use it for all your American Airlines purchases and your phone and internet expenses. This will earn you two miles per every dollar spent. If you are a business owner you can get authorized user cards at no additional charge for your members of staff to take advantage of the rewards on business expenses. All of your employees' spending on their CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard will earn AAdvantage miles that will be credited to your main account.
Other Features Explained
Some of the standard features of the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard include:
- Card FeatureDescription
- American Airlines companion certificateIf you spend $30,000 or more on qualifying purchases with this card, you will earn the American Airlines Companion Certificate. This allows you to book a round-trip economy flight for a companion for $99, plus taxes and fees.
- Personal business assistantAs a cardholder, you have access to a personal assistant for conveniences such as researching vendors or ordering a gift for a client.
- MasterAssistThis feature will help you get travel information such as visa or immunization requirements. You can also use this feature in case you lose your travel documents such as your passport or visa.
If you use American Airlines frequently, the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard has some of the best American Airlines perks you can get. With this card, you will qualify for American Airlines reduced mileage redemptions which earn you a 7,500-mile discount when you book your flight with AAdvantage miles.
Understanding the Fine Print
Before signing up for a Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard, here are some of the fees that you should be aware of.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2 Miles per $1
- Airline Benefits
This card comes with a $99 per year annual fee. For the first 12 months, this fee will be waived, so you will start paying the annual fee from the second year.
APR on Purchases
The APR on purchases for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard is 15.99% to 24.99% based on your creditworthiness. The APR will vary based on the prime rate in the market. This card does not have an introductory APR offer.
When you make a late payment or make a payment that is returned, a penalty APR of 29.99% will be applied to your account. Paying your bill by the due date, which is 23 days from the close of the billing cycle, will help you avoid these penalty fees. The penalty fee for late or returned payment is $39 for either.
Foreign Transaction Fees
One of the key Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard benefits is that it has no foreign transaction fees and will not attract additional charges when used outside the United States.
Miles Rewards Rate
With the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard, you will earn two miles per dollar on eligible American Airlines, telecommunication, cable and satellite providers, car rentals and gas station purchases. All other eligible purchases earn you one mile per dollar. Every mile you earn is worth 2.06 cents.
Credit card offers and terms are subject to change from time to time, so it is important to verify and confirm details for any particular card. If you would like to verify information about the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard benefits and other features, you can use the information provided on MoneyGeek, the credit card issuer’s website, your billing statement, your mobile app or online account or the Credit Card Agreement Database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard?
Other Considerations for Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
The Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard is a solid choice for those who want to earn miles for future flights while enjoying perks such as preferred boarding and free checked bags. However, depending on whether this is your primary or secondary travel card, there are simple ways to make the most out of it.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If this is your only card, it is important to note that it is a co-branded card. This means that you will get the most use out of it if you fly regularly on American Airlines. Most of the perks of the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard are tied to American Airlines, so if you use a different Airline more, you may not get as much value from it.
This card earns you the highest rewards on business expenses such as telecommunication, satellite, cable, car rental and similar expenses. If you do not spend a lot in these categories, you may not accumulate reward miles quickly.
Additionally, you need a good or excellent credit score of 670 to 850 to qualify for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard is your second or complimentary card, you can make the most out of it by using it for business-related expenses since you will earn generous rewards in this spending category. For other purchases such as groceries or dining, you can use a cash back card with a higher reward rate.
Additionally, when traveling internationally, you can use the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard since it has no foreign transaction fees.
Our methodology and review process helps us determine the best credit cards for different consumer profiles based on card fees, interest rates, rewards, benefits and more. MoneyGeek uses a six-step process that involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data point weights, establishing the card’s value and ranks for different categories, reviewing data monthly and reprocess rankings, among other key rating factors.
How Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard Compares to Other Cards
Compared to similar cards in the same category, the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard benefits are well worth the annual fee, especially for those who are regular users of American Airlines. This card also offers a competitive rewards rate, especially on business-related expenses and American Airlines purchases. However, it is still worth comparing this card with other options to ensure you get the right card for your wallet.
Quick Comparison of Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
- Annual fee: $99
- Purchase APR: 15.99% to 24.99% variable
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- Rewards rate: Two miles per dollar for American Airlines purchases, telecom, cable, satellite, car rental and internet.
- Mini Verdict: Best for frequent business travelers who use American Airlines.
Ink Business Preferred
- Annual fee: $95
- Purchase APR: 15.99% to 20.99% variable
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- Rewards rate: Three points per dollar for travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services and on advertising purchases, one reward point for all other purchases
- Mini Verdict: Best for business travelers who are not loyal to a specific airline.
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
If you would like to find out more about the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard, these answers to commonly asked questions can help.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
For businesses or people who frequently use American Airlines for local and international travel, the perks and benefits of the Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard are well worth the annual fee. However, if you are not loyal to American airlines and want a different type of card, you could also evaluate gas cards, cash back cards or general rewards cards.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Chase United Club Infinite
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Citi Premier Card
American Express Blue Business Cash Card
U.S. Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase United Business
Capital One Venture
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
American Express Blue Business Plus Credit Card
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Capital One VentureOne Rewards
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
American Express Cash Magnet Card
Chase Freedom Flex
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
Citi Double Cash Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier
American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business
American Express Business Gold Card
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
American Express Gold Card
American Express Business Platinum Card
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Destiny Unsecured Mastercard
Capital One QuicksilverOne Rewards
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Credit One Bank Platinum Rewards Visa
Capital One Secured Mastercard
Capital One SavorOne Rewards
Citi Secured Mastercard
Chase Freedom Student
Chase World of Hyatt
American Express Hilton Honors Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Airlines. "CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard." Accessed September 10, 2021.
- Citi. "Citi Tops J.D. Power Study of Customer Satisfaction with Retail Banking Advice." Accessed September 8, 2021.
- Citi. "CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard." Accessed September 10, 2021.
- Chase. "Ink Business Preferred Credit Card." Accessed September 10, 2021.
- Forbes Advisor. "CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard 2021 Review." Accessed September 10, 2021.