The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
If you frequently fly with American Airlines and want to enjoy travel perks at a low cost, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® may be the credit card that fits your travel goals. With an annual fee of $99, you can get double the miles on American Airlines purchases, gas stations and restaurants while enjoying travel perks like free checked bags and early boarding.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® at a Glance
Featuring a decent ongoing rewards rate and notable travel perks, American Airline loyalists can benefit from the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®. New cardholders can also access a welcome bonus.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
The best cost-effective credit card for frequent American Airlines travelers
- ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $99Annual Fee
- 1–2 Miles per $1*Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
Pros & Cons Explained
While the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® benefits most flyers, there are some drawbacks to keep in mind as well. Make sure you understand the pros and cons before applying.
- Welcome BonusEarn 50,000 bonus miles if you spend $2,500 within the first three months of account opening.
- 2X Miles in Popular CategoriesIf you dine out often or drive frequently, you can get two miles per $1 spent at gas stations or restaurants. You can also get two miles per $1 on American Airlines purchases.
- Travel PerksYou and four others on your reservation can enjoy complimentary preferred boarding and your first checked bag for free on a domestic American Airlines flight. Even better, if you use your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® to purchase in-flight food and beverages on an American flight, you can get 25% back in statement credit.
- Additional DiscountsGet a $125 American Airlines flight discount if you spend $20,000 or more during your first calendar year and renew your card.
- Annual FeeWhile the annual fee of $99 is relatively low compared to that of other travel cards, it may not be appealing to those who don’t fly frequently. There are other travel rewards cards out there that have no annual fee and a similar rewards rate.
- No Airport Lounge PerksCiti® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® cardholders do not get any access to the Admirals Club lounge. While this is often granted to more expensive airline credit cards, there are still cards at this price point that offer complimentary lounge passes.
- High APRThe Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® has a high variable APR of 20.49% – 29.49%. If you plan to carry a balance, this could result in high interest charges.
When it comes to travel cards, comparing Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® with other options can help you find the right card for you. Take a look at our review of the best travel cards in 2022 to see if a different card suits your travel and financial habits.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
As a mid-tier travel card, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® offers good rewards that, if used properly, can make up for the annual fee.
Spend at least $2,500 within the first three months of account opening and earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles. In terms of value, 50,000 miles is worth $750 and can get you several one-way domestic flights in economy class.
For every $1 spent on American Airlines purchases, gas stations and restaurants, you can earn two American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles. All other purchases that do not fall under these categories get one mile per $1 spent. There is no limit to the number of miles you can earn or the rate at which you can earn it, which means all your purchases in the bonus categories will earn miles at the same rate.
American AAdvantage miles can be used for a variety of things. You can redeem them for upgrades, award flights, hotel stays or Admirals Club membership. They can also be used to book flights with Oneworld airline partners. If you plan to book flights, American Airlines’ award chart for flights lets you see the type of fares they offer and the number of miles required for certain routes.
Other Features Explained
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® offers a host of other features that bring up the value of the card.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Balance TransferIf you have an existing balance on another card with a higher variable APR, you can transfer it to your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®.
- Authorized UsersYou can add a limited number of authorized users at no additional charge.
- Digital WalletsYou can shop confidently at millions of places in apps, online and in stores with your digital wallet.
Shop through American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping portal using your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® to earn more rewards on purchases that don’t fall under the bonus categories.
Understanding the Fine Print
Before applying for the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, review the fees and ensure they fit with your financial situation.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR20.49% – 29.49% Variable
- Annual Fee$99
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2 Miles per $1*
- Airline Benefits
You get an introductory $0 APR for the first year upon account opening, but a fee of $99 will apply for every year after.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® has a relatively high variable APR of 20.49% – 29.49%. Your actual rate will vary based on your creditworthiness, but this can also change based on the market’s prime rate.
You can use the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® to transfer a balance, but keep in mind that a fee of $5 or 5% will apply, whichever is greater. Transferred balances will also have an interest rate of 20.49% – 29.49%.
If you want to take out a cash advance, you will get charged a fee of $10 or 5% of the amount, whichever is greater. Cash advances will also have an APR of 29.74%, and like balance transfers and the regular APR, this can change based on the market’s prime rate.
To compare the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® against other airline or travel cards, take a look at the mile-earning opportunities and the travel perks. You can find a card issuer’s offer on their website or the credit card agreement database that is maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®?
Other Considerations for Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
While the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® offers ample rewards, how well it can benefit you depends on both your financial spending habits and your travel needs.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
The bonus categories of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® make it easy to use as an everyday card. However, if you don’t dine out a lot or drive often, you may be better off with a card that has bonus categories in areas you spend the most in. The relatively high APR of 20.49% – 29.49% may also not make this the best card to put all your everyday expenses in, especially considering how there is no 0% introductory APR.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you have other cards in your wallet, you can use the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® to cover gas and dining expenses and earn 2x miles. However, keep in mind the annual fee of this card and any other additional cards you may have to ensure you aren’t spending too much on fees each year.
When MoneyGeek reviews credit cards, we follow a detailed process to ensure we provide consumers with the right recommendations. This involves collecting data, standardizing data points, estimating spend profiles and factoring in bonuses before establishing the three-year value of the card. We also conduct monthly re-rankings to ensure our info and recommendations stay up to date.
How Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® Compares to Other Cards
The benefits that the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® offers are solid. It can hold its own against other mid-tier travel cards, but there are still some offers out there that have better rewards.
Quick Comparison of Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- Rewards Rate: Two miles per $1 at gas stations, restaurants and American Airlines; one mile per $1 on everything else
- Annual Fee: $0 intro annual fee for one year, then $99
- Welcome Bonus: 50,000 miles after spending $2,500 in the first three months
- Mini Verdict: Best miles-earning card for American Airlines
American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
- Rewards Rate: Two miles per $1 at American Airlines and supermarkets; one mile per $1 on everything else
- Annual Fee: None
- Welcome Bonus: 10,000 miles and $50 statement credit after $500 in purchases within the first three months
- Mini Verdict: Best card with no annual fee for American Airlines
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Before applying for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®, make sure you know the answers to these frequently asked questions.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you frequently fly and like to do so exclusively with American Airlines, then the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® may be for you. However, if you feel the card has lackluster rewards and want to view other offers, take a look at MoneyGeek’s review of other cards, including cash back cards, gas cards and rewards cards.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
United℠ Explorer Card
USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Secured Card
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Milestone Mastercard® - $700 Credit Limit
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Mastercard® Black Card™
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
OakStone Gold Secured Mastercard®
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Chase Slate Edge℠
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
United Gateway℠ Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Citi® Double Cash Card
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
World of Hyatt Credit Card
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Spark 1.5% Cash Select
World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard® Secured Credit Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
PenFed Pathfinder® Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
U.S. Bank Triple Cash Rewards Visa® Business Card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
West Elm Key Rewards Credit Card
Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
United℠ Business Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
Destiny Mastercard® - $700 Credit Limit
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Airlines. "Flight award chart." Accessed September 9, 2021.
- American Airlines AAdvantage. "American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping: Shop Online & Earn Miles." Accessed September 9, 2021.
- Citi. "Citi Mobile App." Accessed September 9, 2021.
- Citi. "Citi Tops J.D. Power Study of Customer Satisfaction with Retail Banking Advice." Accessed September 9, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.