Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard Review
Make flying with American Airlines hassle-free with the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. Earn miles in popular spending categories and take advantage of a few frequent traveler perks at a low annual cost.
If you frequently fly with American Airlines and want to enjoy travel perks at a low cost, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard may be the credit card that fits your travel goals. With an annual fee of $95, you can get double the miles on American Airlines purchases, gas stations and restaurants while enjoying travel perks like free checked bags and early boarding.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard at a Glance
Featuring a decent ongoing rewards rate and notable travel perks, American Airline loyalists can benefit from the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. New cardholders can also access a welcome bonus.
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
The best cost-effective credit card for frequent American Airlines travelers
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- $99Annual Fee
- 1–2 Miles per $1*Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
Pros & Cons Explained
While the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard benefits most flyers, there are some drawbacks to keep in mind as well. Make sure you understand the pros and cons before applying.
- Welcome BonusEarn 50,000 bonus miles if you spend $2,500 within the first three months of account opening.
- 2X Miles in Popular CategoriesIf you dine out often or drive frequently, you can get two miles per $1 spent at gas stations or restaurants. You can also get two miles per $1 on American Airlines purchases.
- Travel PerksYou and four others on your reservation can enjoy complimentary preferred boarding and your first checked bag for free on a domestic American Airlines flight. Even better, if you use your Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard to purchase in-flight food and beverages on an American flight, you can get 25% back in statement credit.
- Additional DiscountsGet a $125 American Airlines flight discount if you spend $20,000 or more during your first calendar year and renew your card.
- Annual FeeWhile the annual fee of $95 is relatively low compared to that of other travel cards, it may not be appealing to those who don’t fly frequently. There are other travel rewards cards out there that have no annual fee and a similar rewards rate.
- No Airport Lounge PerksCiti AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard cardholders do not get any access to the Admirals Club lounge. While this is often granted to more expensive airline credit cards, there are still cards at this price point that offer complimentary lounge passes.
- High APRThe Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard has a high variable APR of 15.99% to 24.99%. If you plan to carry a balance, this could result in high interest charges.
When it comes to travel cards, comparing Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard with other options can help you find the right card for you. Take a look at our review of the best travel cards in 2022 to see if a different card suits your travel and financial habits.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
As a mid-tier travel card, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard offers good rewards that, if used properly, can make up for the annual fee.
Spend at least $2,500 within the first three months of account opening and earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles. In terms of value, 50,000 miles is worth $750 and can get you several one-way domestic flights in economy class.
For every $1 spent on American Airlines purchases, gas stations and restaurants, you can earn two American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles. All other purchases that do not fall under these categories get one mile per $1 spent. There is no limit to the number of miles you can earn or the rate at which you can earn it, which means all your purchases in the bonus categories will earn miles at the same rate.
American AAdvantage miles can be used for a variety of things. You can redeem them for upgrades, award flights, hotel stays or Admirals Club membership. They can also be used to book flights with Oneworld airline partners. If you plan to book flights, American Airlines’ award chart for flights lets you see the type of fares they offer and the number of miles required for certain routes.
Other Features Explained
The Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard offers a host of other features that bring up the value of the card.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Balance TransferIf you have an existing balance on another card with a higher variable APR, you can transfer it to your Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard.
- Authorized UsersYou can add a limited number of authorized users at no additional charge.
- Digital WalletsYou can shop confidently at millions of places in apps, online and in stores with your digital wallet.
Shop through American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping portal using your Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard to earn more rewards on purchases that don’t fall under the bonus categories.
Understanding the Fine Print
Before applying for the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, review the fees and ensure they fit with your financial situation.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$99
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2 Miles per $1*
- Airline Benefits
You get an introductory $0 APR for the first year upon account opening, but a fee of $95 will apply for every year after.
The Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard has a relatively high variable APR of 15.99% to 24.99%. Your actual rate will vary based on your creditworthiness, but this can also change based on the market’s prime rate.
You can use the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard to transfer a balance, but keep in mind that a fee of $5 or 3% will apply, whichever is greater. Transferred balances will also have an interest rate of 15.99% to 24.99%.
If you want to take out a cash advance, you will get charged a fee of $10 or 5% of the amount, whichever is greater. Cash advances will also have an APR of 25.24%, and like balance transfers and the regular APR, this can change based on the market’s prime rate.
To compare the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard against other airline or travel cards, take a look at the mile-earning opportunities and the travel perks. You can find a card issuer’s offer on their website or the credit card agreement database that is maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard?
Other Considerations for Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
While the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard offers ample rewards, how well it can benefit you depends on both your financial spending habits and your travel needs.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
The bonus categories of the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard make it easy to use as an everyday card. However, if you don’t dine out a lot or drive often, you may be better off with a card that has bonus categories in areas you spend the most in. The relatively high APR of 15.99% to 24.99% may also not make this the best card to put all your everyday expenses in, especially considering how there is no 0% introductory APR.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you have other cards in your wallet, you can use the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard to cover gas and dining expenses and earn 2x miles. However, keep in mind the annual fee of this card and any other additional cards you may have to ensure you aren’t spending too much on fees each year.
When MoneyGeek reviews credit cards, we follow a detailed process to ensure we provide consumers with the right recommendations. This involves collecting data, standardizing data points, estimating spend profiles and factoring in bonuses before establishing the three-year value of the card. We also conduct monthly re-rankings to ensure our info and recommendations stay up to date.
How Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard Compares to Other Cards
The benefits that the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard offers are solid. It can hold its own against other mid-tier travel cards, but there are still some offers out there that have better rewards.
Quick Comparison of Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- Rewards Rate: Two miles per $1 at gas stations, restaurants and American Airlines; one mile per $1 on everything else
- Annual Fee: $0 intro annual fee for one year, then $95
- Welcome Bonus: 50,000 miles after spending $2,500 in the first three months
- Mini Verdict: Best miles-earning card for American Airlines
American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card
- Rewards Rate: Two miles per $1 at American Airlines and supermarkets; one mile per $1 on everything else
- Annual Fee: None
- Welcome Bonus: 10,000 miles and $50 statement credit after $500 in purchases within the first three months
- Mini Verdict: Best card with no annual fee for American Airlines
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Before applying for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, make sure you know the answers to these frequently asked questions.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you frequently fly and like to do so exclusively with American Airlines, then the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard may be for you. However, if you feel the card has lackluster rewards and want to view other offers, take a look at MoneyGeek’s review of other cards, including cash back cards, gas cards and rewards cards.
Chase Ink Business Cash
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
Citi Simplicity Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature Card
Capital One SavorOne Rewards
Mastercard Titanium Card
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Bank of America Travel Rewards for Students
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Capital One SavorOne Rewards for Students
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Rewards Visa
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Navy Federal Visa cashRewards Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Capital One Spark Miles
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select
American Express Gold Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select - Good Credit
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business
Capital One Venture X
Capital One VentureOne Rewards
Mastercard Black Card
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Card
Citi Double Cash Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Chase Slate Edge
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Card
Chase United Business
American Express Hilton Honors Card
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Rewards
Chase United Club Infinite
Indigo Platinum Mastercard
American Express Plum Card
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Airlines. "Flight award chart." Accessed September 9, 2021.
- American Airlines AAdvantage. "American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping: Shop Online & Earn Miles." Accessed September 9, 2021.
- Citi. "Citi Mobile App." Accessed September 9, 2021.
- Citi. "Citi Tops J.D. Power Study of Customer Satisfaction with Retail Banking Advice." Accessed September 9, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.