Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students Review
Students looking for a credit card with no annual fee or international transaction fees can benefit significantly from the Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students. It also offers 1% cash back rewards on every purchase.
The Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students is primarily meant for students with a limited credit history. Usually, people with bad credit scores would have to put down a security deposit or have a co-signer to get approved for a credit card. However, this isn't the case with this unsecured card.
Since you don’t need a Social Security number to apply for this card, it is an excellent option for international students in the U.S.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students at a Glance
With the Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students, you earn a 1% cash back reward on every type of purchase. You can also get Amazon Prime Student free for one year after you’ve spent $500 in the first three billing cycles.
By referring this card to a friend, you can both earn a bonus of $30 once the friend signs up and uses the card.
- Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Best student cash back card for limited credit history
- None-PoorRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 1xRewards Rate on Online Shopping
- 1xRewards Rate on Groceries
Pros & Cons Explained
The pros and cons of Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students will help you decide if this card is the right option for you.
- No foreign transaction feeThis card has no foreign transaction fees, making it an outstanding option while traveling internationally.
- No security depositCredit cards for people with limited credit history usually require a security deposit to get approved; however, that is not the case with this card.
- No SSN requirementInternational students in the U.S. don’t have a Social Security number. The lack of an SSN requirement makes this a solid choice for foreign students studying abroad in America.
- High APRThe variable regular APR of this card is 18.74%, which is pretty high compared to some competing cards. With this APR, you’ll accrue a lot of interest on your balance if you don’t pay it off every month.
- Low cash back reward rateWith this card, you get a 1% cash back reward on all purchases. Many other cards offer a much better cash back reward rate.
MoneyGeek features the Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students in the Best Student Credit Cards of 2022. You can compare the features of other cards on the list to see if you can get a card with better rewards programs.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Understanding the bonus and rewards structures of this card will help make your decision-making process easier.
Free Amazon Prime Student
After spending $500 in three billing cycles, you’ll get an Amazon Prime Student membership (worth $59) free for a whole year.
Rental car insurance
With this card, you’ll be covered if your rental car is lost or stolen. However, it only covers property damage liability, not bodily injury liability.
Cell phone protection
By paying your cell phone bill with this card, you’ll have free coverage for cell phone fraud and theft
Other Features Explained
The Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students also offers some other features for their customers.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Zero fraud liabilityIn case your card is lost or stolen, you won’t be liable for any unauthorized transactions that take place.
- Mastercard ID Theft ProtectionWith this feature, your card will be monitored for any suspicious activity and you’ll be immediately notified if any fraudulent activity occurs.
- Easy pre-qualificationYou can pre-qualify for this card without affecting your credit score.
This is a great credit card to help build your credit while you’re a student. You can automate payments (which can be set to the minimum payment) to be sure you’re always on time. You’ll increase your credit score in no time.
Understanding the Fine Print
You’ll have a clear picture in your mind about the various fees associated with the Deserve EDU Mastercard for students after reading the fine print of this card. With a relatively high APR and low cash back rate, this card doesn’t excel in these areas like some competing cards.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1% Cash Back
- Airline Benefits
This card charges a high variable regular APR of 18.74%, a much higher rate than you’ll find with some other cards. This means that to avoid a lot of interest on your balance, you should pay it off in full every month.
Cash back Rewards Rate
With this card, you’ll get a flat cash back reward of 1% on every type of purchase. It’s certainly better than nothing, but many other cards offer higher rates and/or bonus categories that help you accrue rewards faster.
You can find the above information on your card issuer’s website, mobile app, your latest billing statement or the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students?
Other Considerations for Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Depending on your history with credit cards, you should keep the following things in mind to use your card in a better way.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
The variable regular APR of this card is 18.74%, which is pretty high compared to the average variable APR. With this card, you should be making your monthly payments before the due date and pay the balance in full. Otherwise, you’ll incur a large amount of interest on your balance.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If this will be one of several cards in your wallet, you’ll likely lean on it for international purchases thanks to its lack of transaction fees. The $0 annual fee is another aspect that makes this card a good option for someone who has other credit cards. However, you may prefer using your other cards for everyday purchases if those cards offer a better reward rate.
MoneyGeek’s methodology for this review involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data points, analyzing potential cardholder profiles, considering annual and introductory bonuses, establishing the card values and reviewing data monthly to reprocess rankings.
How Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students Compares to Other Cards
The Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students compares well with other cards in the same category because very few cards meant for students have a $0 annual fee and no fee for international transactions.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
- Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students vs Chase Freedom® Student credit card
- Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students vs Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
- Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students vs Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards
- Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students vs Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students
Quick Comparison of Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
- Purchase APR: 18.74%
- Annual fee: $0
- International transactions fee: None
- Cash back rate: 1%
- Best for: international students without an SSN and frequent travelers
Chase Freedom® Student credit card
- Purchase APR: 14.99%
- Annual fee: $0
- International transactions fee: 3%
- Cash back rate: 1%
- Best for: Students with no credit history looking for an easy cash back rewards program
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
The following frequently asked questions can clear any confusions you might have about the Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
You can look over other options in the same category if you’re still not sure about getting the Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students.
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus - Good Credit
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Amazon Business Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
American Express® Gold Card
Citi® Double Cash Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
American Express Cash Magnet® Card
West Elm Key Rewards Credit Card
Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Mastercard® Black Card™
OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
Citi Simplicity® Card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Iberia Visa Signature® Card
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit
Discover it® Student Cash Back Credit Card
Chime Credit Builder Secured Visa® Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Deserve. "Credit Cards." Accessed August 30, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.