Celtic Bank Credit Card Reviews, Rules & Opinions
Celtic Bank offers a variety of credit cards perfect for those with little or no credit. MoneyGeek evaluated how to apply for the different Celtic Bank cards and assessed their suitability for different potential cardholders.
Celtic Bank is a new entrant in the credit card market. It currently offers cards serviced by other companies, most of which are Deserve. Their cards are diverse and include various student credit cards, such as the Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students that is designed for university students. They also offer the popular Indigo Platinum Mastercard designed for those with little or no credit. The company even offers co-branded cards like the Deserve Grand Reserve.
Featured Credit Cards Offered by Celtic Bank
Regardless of an applicant's credit score, Celtic Bank offers 18 credit cards for personal and business use. They also have several student cards.
Other Cards Issued by Celtic Bank
Beyond the featured cards listed above, Celtic Bank also offers other credit cards. Many of these are designed for college students:
- Deserve Pro: Best for those with good to excellent credit scores who want to earn rewards for travel and restaurant purchases.
- Deserve Digital First: Designed for those who want a digital-only card that connects to mobile wallets.
- Deserve Grand Reserve: Best for wine lovers who don't mind a high annual fee.
- Deserve LendingPoint: Ideal for those who want a no annual fee card with travel and dining rewards.
- Deserve Honor Society EDU: Ideal for students members of the Honor Society who want a no annual fee card to build credit and earn rewards at the same time.
- Deserve Honor Society Pro: Best for alumni looking for an Honor Society card with no annual fee and cash back rewards.
- Deserve NJIT EDU: Best for NJIT students looking for a no annual fee credit card with steady cash back.
- Deserve NJIT Pro: Designed for NJIT alumni who want to improve their credit scores and earn cash back rewards.
- Deserve NSLS EDU: Made for National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS) student members who want a cash back credit card with no annual fee.
- Deserve NSLS PRO: Best for NSLS alumni looking to enhance their credit scores.
- Deserve Earnest: Ideal for students who have current loans or debts and want to earn cash back to use toward loan repayments.
- Deserve The New School EDU: For the students of The New School who want to build a credit history.
- Deserve The New School PRO: For the alumni of The New School who want a simple rewards card.
- Deserve Notre Dame EDU: For students who want to build credit and support the University of Notre Dame’s student scholarship funds.
- Deserve Notre Dame PRO: For the alumni and fans of the University of Notre Dame’s Athletics Department who wish to earn cash back rewards and enjoy other benefits.
The Best Celtic Bank Credit Cards for March 2022
Below is MoneyGeek’s latest list of best Celtic Bank credit cards ranked based on rewards and other features. This can help you find the card that's right for you.
- Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Best student cash back card for limited credit history
- None-PoorCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 1% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 1xRewards Rate on Online Shopping
- 1xRewards Rate on Groceries
- Indigo Platinum Mastercard
A great card with global access to rebuild your credit
- Fair-GoodCredit Needed
- $0–$99*Annual Fee
- 3# of Reporting Bureaus
- Surge Mastercard Credit Card
- Poor-GoodCredit Needed
- $75– $99Annual Fee
- 3# of Reporting Bureaus
Rules for Applying, Acceptance & Welcome Bonuses
Understanding the application process and rules is critical to getting a Celtic Bank credit card. MoneyGeek answers some frequently asked questions that arise while applying for Celtic Bank credit cards.
Other Considerations About Celtic Bank
When comparing Celtic Bank cards, don’t forget to consider factors like customer service, security and additional perks.
Customer Service & Satisfaction
During normal business hours Monday through Saturday, customers can contact Celtic Bank's customer care department via phone. The bank offers several different assistance lines for different purposes.
J.D. Power did not rate this company in its customer satisfaction in its J.D. Power 2021 U.S Credit Card Satisfaction Survey.
Mobile Apps & Online Services
Although Celtic Bank has a mobile app for managing loan accounts and other services, you cannot use it to handle credit cards issued by them.
Security & Credit Monitoring Services
The bank reports to all the three major credit bureaus. Since Celtic Bank cards belong to the Mastercard network, your card will have the security features associated with Mastercard. You can contact the bank to find out more.
Loyalty Programs & Other Issuer Perks
Although Celtic Bank does not have a reward program, Mastercard advantages are available to cardholders because the bank's cards are issued by Mastercard.
If you want to know which Mastercard network benefits you'll receive with your new credit card, you'll need to contact Celtic Bank.
Not all Celtic Bank credit cards can have additional users. However, some cards like the Reflex Mastercard allow adding authorized users for a $30 one-time fee.
Overall Opinion of Celtic Bank & Their Credit Card Offerings
Celtic Bank's credit cards offer easy rewards that might help you save money on regular purchases. Other companies service all of their credit cards. You can easily find a card from what they have to offer regardless of your credit score. Their selection of student credit cards is outstanding. It should be noted that they do not provide a welcome bonus. You may, however, be able to find cards that do not charge an annual or foreign transaction fee for the first year.
Celtic Bank's cards may be appropriate for the following individuals based on their selection of cards and card offerings:
Those trying to improve credit
The majority of Celtic Bank's credit cards are available to those with bad to excellent credit. By paying responsibly, they can improve their credit scores.
Students trying to build credit history
The bank offers a range of student cards for those looking for student discounts and cash back benefits on certain categories.
"Celtic Bank is a good place to start your credit journey or to repair your credit from previous mistakes. With responsible use of your Celtic Bank credit card, your credit score will grow so that you can qualify for cards that offer valuable rewards and benefits from other issuers."
- Lee Huffman, credit card expert at BaldThoughts.com
Still Not Sure About This Issuer? Consider These Options.
Learn More About Credit Cards in General
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.