Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select Review
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select benefits include a straightforward rewards system of 1.5X miles on every purchase, 0% intro APR and a generous welcome bonus. You can also earn 5X miles per dollar spent on hotel and travel bookings done through Capital One Travel.
If you’re looking for a no-annual-fee business travel card with a simple rewards system, the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select is a good option. The generous 5X miles rewards for hotel and car rentals booked through Capital One Travel, make this card ideal if you travel frequently. You can also take advantage of the 20,000-mile early spend bonus by spending $3,000 in the first three months. However, this travel card has limited airline partners which may limit your redemption options.
MoneyGeek’s Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select review highlights everything you need to know about this business travel card to help you make the right choice for your business.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select at a Glance
You can earn unlimited rewards on all purchases with the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select card at a flat rate of 1.5 miles per dollar spent. You will also get a generous early spend bonus of 20,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months. This card is also ideal for frequent travelers because there are accelerated rewards on hotel and travel bookings and no transaction fees.
- Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
A great no-annual-fee travel rewards card for small business owners with excellent credit
- Good – ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1.5 – 5 milesRewards Rate
- 3.25Miles Rate per $ (Avg Value)
Pros & Cons Explained
If you’re considering getting Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select as your business travel card, it’s important to be aware of the card’s pros and cons.
- Unlimited rewards on every purchaseThe Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select offers you 1.5X miles on every purchase, so you can easily accumulate reward points if you put large purchases on the card. There is also no cap on rewards, so you have unlimited opportunities to earn travel miles on your card.
- No annual feeAnnual fees can eat into your rewards, but the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select has no annual fee, so it is ideal if you need a low-cost business travel card.
- No foreign transaction feesIf you travel frequently, you will not have to pay any charges for using your card outside the country, so this card is a good option for frequent travelers.
- 0% introductory APR for purchasesAll your purchases on the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select for the first nine months will qualify for 0% APR so you can take advantage of this offer to save on interest charges.
- Limited airline partnersCapital One Spark Miles for Business Select allows you to transfer your rewards to its airline partners but you will have a limited number of airline partners that you can choose from.
- No Introductory APR for balance transfersAll balance transfers attract a variable APR of 14.24%, 20.24% or 24.24% depending on your creditworthiness.
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select is not on MoneyGeek’s list of the best business credit cards. You can look at our recommendations to find out which cards offer the most value for small businesses looking for rewards on purchases and travel expenses.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select benefits include unlimited rewards on all purchases at 1.5 miles per dollar and a generous 5 miles per dollar on eligible hotel and travel bookings. Other key rewards and bonuses include the following:
If you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening, you will earn 20,000 bonus miles on your Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select.
This card earns rewards at a flat rate of 1.5 miles per dollar for all purchases. You will also earn accelerated rewards on car rentals and hotels booked through Capital One Travel at 5 miles per dollar.
Capital offers flexible redemption options, including using your rewards to use your reward miles to book travel directly through Capital One Travel. You can also book travel through any eligible merchant and get a statement credit against the purchase. Rewards can also be transferred to select airlines or redeemed for cash back or gift cards at 5 cents per mile and 8 cents per mile, respectively.
Other Features Explained
Before making your Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select application, it is also important to be aware of the additional features offered by this card.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Standard featuresThe Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select benefits include rental-car insurance and roadside assistance, extended warranty protection and purchase protection for up to 90 days, and free employee cards and customized spending limits that give you control over employee spending.
- Security FeaturesYou can manage access to your account using the Capital One mobile app, including locking your card or employee cards. You will also get security alerts on call, email or text in case of suspicious activity on your card.
- Customer ExperienceCardholders have access to 24-hour customer service by phone. You can also conveniently manage your account online or via the Capital One mobile app. Capital One tied for first in the J.D. Power 2021 Small Business Credit Card Customer Satisfaction Study, so they have a reputation for good customer service.
If you need to finance a big business purchase, you can take advantage of the nine months 0% introductory APR on the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select to pay off the purchase without incurring costly interest charges.
Understanding the Fine Print
Apart from standard APR charges, it is also important to understand all other rates and fees before completing your Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select application.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR16.99% – 26.99%
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1.5 – 5 miles
- Airline Benefits
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select has a 0% introductory APR for the first nine months. After that, your APR will be 14.24%, 20.24% or 24.24%, based on your creditworthiness and the prevailing prime rate.
This card does not have any annual fees.
APR for cash advances
Cash advances attract a 27.24% APR which may vary depending on the prime rate.
Balance transfer APR
Balance transfers attract a 14.24%, 20.24% or 24.24% APR depending on your creditworthiness and the current prime rate. There is no introductory APR offer for balance transfers.
Cash advance fees
Cash advances are charged $10, or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
Penalty APR and fees
Late payments and returned payments attract a penalty fee of up to $39. The penalty APR for late and returned payments is 29.65%.
Foreign transaction fees
This card has no transaction fees for any transactions made outside the U.S. You can use the card globally at no extra charge.
You can get useful information about the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select benefits and features by checking the issuer's website. Your latest billing statement will also carry the latest information on rates and fees for your card. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau also maintains a credit card agreement database containing important information that you may find useful when comparing and reviewing credit cards.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select?
Other Considerations for Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select
Depending on whether the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select your primary or secondary business credit card, you will get the most value from it if you understand its features and benefits.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan to make the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select your primary business card it is important to be aware that this card offers a flat-rate rewards program, so if you spend more in some categories than others, you may miss out on the rewards you would get with a tiered rewards program.
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select credit score requirement is 800 or higher, so you need to have an excellent credit score to qualify for this card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select is an addition to other credit cards in your wallet, you may want to transfer your purchases to this card and take advantage of the 0% introductory APR for the first nine months to save on interest charges.
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select also has generous rewards on hotel and travel bookings at 5 miles per dollars. It is worth comparing with your travel cards to see if you will get more value by using the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select for your travel expenses.
MoneyGeek’s methodology and comprehensive review process help us to determine the best credit cards for different profiles based on card fees, interest rates, rewards, benefits and more. We use a comprehensive six-step process that involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data point weights, establishing the cards' value and ranks for different categories and reviewing data monthly and rankings among other key rating factors.
How Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select Compares to Other Cards
For small business owners the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select offers unlimited rewards on purchases and a generous welcome bonus. If you spend a lot on hotel and travel bookings you will get great value from your Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select card since you can earn 5 miles per dollar if you book hotels and car rentals through Capital One Journey. However, there are other business cards that offer more generous rewards. The Ink Business Preferred may be a better option for higher rewards for common business expenses if you don’t mind the $95 annual fee.
Quick Comparison of Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select
Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select
- Annual fee: $0
- Purchase APR: 14.24%, 20.24% or 24.24% (Variable)
- Foreign transaction fee: $0
- Rewards rate: 1.5X miles per dollar on all purchases. 5X miles per dollar for hotel and travel bookings through Capital One Journey
- Best for: Small businesses looking for a simple flat-rate rewards card with no annual fees
Ink Business Preferred
- Annual fee: $95
- Purchase APR: 15.99%–20.99% (Variable)
- Foreign transaction fee: $0
- Rewards rate: 3X points per dollar for travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases, and 1X reward points for all other purchases
- Best for: Business travelers who want a higher rewards rate for specific spending categories
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
You can learn more about the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select application process, features and benefits in the answers to commonly asked questions below.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
For a straightforward rewards program and flexible redemption options, the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select is a good option for small businesses. It also attracts no annual fees or foreign transaction fees so it’s ideal for those looking for a low-cost business travel card. However, there are other business cards with better rewards rates that you may want to consider before opting for the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select. You can look up MoneyGeek’s recommendations for the best business credit cards for more options.
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus - Good Credit
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Amazon Business Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
American Express® Gold Card
Citi® Double Cash Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
American Express Cash Magnet® Card
West Elm Key Rewards Credit Card
Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Mastercard® Black Card™
OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
Citi Simplicity® Card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Iberia Visa Signature® Card
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Capital One. "Spark 1.5X Miles Select." Accessed April 12, 2022.
- Capital One. "Application Terms." Accessed April 12, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "2021 U.S. Small Bussiness Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed May 1, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.