Barclays Bank Credit Card Reviews, Rules & Opinions
Barclays Bank is a British multinational banking and financial services company. MoneyGeek reviewed credit cards from Barclays Bank to determine if they are a good fit for your credit card needs.
Barclays Bank's financial offerings include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards. The company offers various credit card categories, including balance transfer credit cards, purchase offer credit cards, credit building credit cards and reward credit cards. Each of these credit cards offers unique features that are intended to meet the specific needs and requirements of different customers.
Featured Credit Cards Offered by Barclays Bank
Barclays partners with a variety of travel and lifestyle companies, including JetBlue and Wyndham, to provide credit cards that offer cash back, rewards, entertainment perks and business expenses rewards. The annual fee of its cards range from $0 to $499.
Other Cards Issued by Barclays Bank
In addition to the featured cards listed above, Barclays Bank also offers the following credit cards:
- Diamond Resorts World Mastercard: For those who want to spend their vacations at Diamond Resorts.
- AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard: For frequent flyers looking to accumulate miles as well as infrequent flyers who like to plan and save for longer trips.
- AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard: This card is for travelers with the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard who are eligible to upgrade to silver level. It offers premium perks when flying on American Airlines. You cannot apply for this card.
- FRONTIER Airlines World Mastercard: For those who travel within Frontier's network and want more miles, more rewards and more ways to travel with every purchase you make.
- JetBlue Plus Card: For JetBlue frequent travelers or those looking to start using the airline.
- Carnival World Mastercard: For those who frequently travel with Carnival Cruise Lines.
- The AARP Essential Rewards Mastercard from Barclays: For older adults who wish to earn points for everyday purchases such as drug purchases, gas and even medical bills.
- Miles & More World Elite Mastercard: For those who often fly to and within Europe and wish to earn points for flight upgrades as well as get a complimentary round-trip companion ticket with Lufthansa once a year.
- Upromise Mastercard: For students who want to earn rewards directly toward a 529 college savings account.
- Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard: For those who fly Emirates frequently and want Emirates lounge perks.
- The AARP Travel Rewards Mastercard from Barclays: For AARP members who want to earn strong cash back rewards without paying an annual fee.
- Barnes & Noble Mastercard: For book enthusiasts who want to earn cash back when they shop at Barnes & Noble.
- Choice Privileges Visa Signature Card: For frequent Choice Hotels guests.
- Emirates Skywards Rewards World Elite Mastercard: For those who travel solo and want access to the Emirates Business Lounge in Dubai.
- Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Business Mastercard: For those interested in earning Hawaiian Airlines points from their business expenses.
- Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard: For frequent Hawaiian flyers or those accruing miles for a big trip to Hawaii or elsewhere on the airline's route network.
- Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card: For those who frequently travel with Holland America.
- JetBlue Business Card: For business owners who prefer to fly JetBlue on a frequent basis.
- JetBlue Card: For those who fly JetBlue on a regular basis and wish to accrue JetBlue points.
- NFL Extra Points Credit Card: For football fans who want to earn points toward NFL tickets and NFL-branded items as well as exclusive discounts and ticket financing.
- Priceline VIP Rewards Visa Card: For customers who book most of their trip arrangements via the Priceline website.
- Princess Cruises Rewards Visa Card: Best for those who frequently travel with Princess Cruises.
- RCI Elite Rewards Mastercard: For those who use RCI to book their vacations frequently.
- Wyndham Rewards Earner Business Card: For business owners whose work requires frequent travel and like to lodge in hotels during travel.
- Wyndham Rewards Earner Card: For those who enjoy Wyndham hotels and resorts and do not want to pay an annual credit card fee.
- Wyndham Rewards Earner Plus Card: For frequent travelers who prefer to stay at Wyndham hotels.
The Best Barclays Bank Credit Cards for March 2022
MoneyGeek analyzed the top Barclays Bank credit cards based on rewards, welcome bonuses and other factors to help you select the ideal choice for your requirements.
- Mastercard Titanium Card
Best rewards credit card for luxury travel/hotel perks
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- $195Annual Fee
- 1–2 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 1xRewards Rate on Dining
- Mastercard Black Card
A great travel reward card with no foreign transaction fee and many travel benefits.
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- $495Annual Fee
- 1.5% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 1.5xRewards Rate on Dining
- Mastercard Gold Card
A great card for people who’re looking at premium benefits
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- $995Annual Fee
- 2% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
Rules for Applying, Acceptance & Welcome Bonuses
Understanding the rules that impact your probability of eligibility for welcome bonuses is critical when applying for Barclays credit cards. It also increases your chances of approval. MoneyGeek answers some frequently asked questions to help you get approved.
Other Considerations About Barclays Bank
When searching for the best credit card, keep the following points in mind to help you make a decision.
Customer Service & Satisfaction
Customer service and the customer satisfaction rate is an important factor to consider when shopping for a credit card provider. Barclays Bank provides a 24/7 call support service to their customers.
According to J.D Power 2021 U.S. online credit card satisfaction study, Barclays Bank scored 827 out of 1,000.
Mobile Apps & Online Services
Cardholders can make payments, review statements and transfer funds between accounts via Barclays' online banking services, while the mobile app allows them to check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.
Barclays Bank scored an 862 out of 1,000 rating in the J.D Power 2021 U.S. credit card mobile app satisfaction study.
User ratings on both Google Play and Apple App Store are high at 4.6 and 4.8, respectively.
Security & Credit Monitoring Services
To safeguard the customer's personal information and account details, SSL technology is used in tandem with firewalls and other technologies to encrypt data. Barclays also included monitoring devices to prevent unauthorized usage. It features an automatic logout option in the mobile app after prolonged inactivity.
Barclays Bank will automatically disable your access to Online Banking if three incorrect log-in attempts are made. This is to stop fraudsters from making repeated attempts to get into your accounts.
Loyalty Programs & Other Issuer Perks
When you shop at a participating retailer such as Iceland and Wasabi using a loyalty card, you will receive points. Your loyalty cards may be linked to the Barclays app so that you don't have to carry them everywhere.
By using your Barclays payment card or contactless mobile to make a purchase at a participating merchant, you will immediately accrue loyalty points and benefits. Using your app, you'll always be able to keep track of your rewards and use them at participating merchants.
You can add a new cardholder to your account using Barclaycard online service. Log in or sign up for Barclaycard online service. Once signed in, go to 'Account Services' in the top menu and choose 'View & Add Cardholders.' The second cardholder must be a close family member who lives at your address and is subject to the terms and conditions of your Barclay credit card.
Overall Opinion of Barclays Bank & Their Credit Card Offerings
Barclays offers a wide range of credit cards to suit your needs. From cash back rewards to points to travel rewards, they have a program for you. Barclays also has a few different reward systems that make their credit cards attractive. Like other companies, their rewards are not limited to just one specific card. Most customers who desire an online bank account with attractive interest rates and no monthly fees should find Barclays Bank appealing. It could be a good match for you if you:
Want to earn rewards from your credit cards
Most of the credit cards issued by Barclays Bank offer users points that can be redeemed. For instance, AAdvantage Aviator credit card users earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles.
Do not want to visit a branch
As an online financial service provider, Barclays’ easiest account creation method or access to your accounts is through the bank's website or mobile application. Barclays' co-branded partners may provide paper applications or links to online applications for prospective customers to access.
"Barclays partners with many popular travel and lifestyle brands that include valuable perks and the ability to earn attractive rewards for your spending. For example, its partnership with American Airlines allows travelers to earn miles on your purchases and receive benefits from both Barclays and Citibank when you have AAdvantage cards from each issuer."
- Lee Huffman, credit card expert at BaldThoughts.com
Still Not Sure About This Issuer? Consider These Options.
Even though Barclays Bank offers a wide range of credit cards, you may be unclear whether the provider is ideal for you. If you have a bad credit score, you may want to look into alternative providers.
Learn More About Credit Cards in General
- Barclays Bank. "24-Hours Protection." Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Barclays Bank. "Contact Us." Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Barclays Bank. "Find a Product That Fits Your Life." Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Barclays Bank. "Find the Card That Fits Your Life." Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Barclays Bank. "How do I add or remove a cardholder from my Barclaycard account?." Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Barclays Bank. "How does Barclays purchase protection work?." Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Barclays Bank. "Loyalty Cards." Accessed January 11, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.