Business customers who travel frequently and stay at Marriott hotels can benefit from the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card. The card comes with a generous welcome offer and a fast-track route to Marriott elite status.
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card Review
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card is a great fit for business customers who are Marriott enthusiasts and travel frequently. The annual fee of $125 is easily offset by a free night’s stay every year. You can quickly rack up Marriott points that help you reach elite status while also being useful for other travel-related activities like booking air tickets. Customers can even enjoy high redemption value on reward points.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card at a Glance
For business users who travel frequently and are loyal to the Marriott Bonvoy brand, the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card might be a good choice. It can help fast-track your Marriott elite status and brings several unique features and rewards.
- American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Excellent card for maximizing the rewards you earn while traveling
- Good–ExcellentCredit Needed
- $125Annual Fee
- 2–6 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 6xRewards Rate at Hotels
- 4xRewards Rate on TV, Phone, Internet Services
Pros & Cons Explained
While the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card can be a particularly good choice for certain people, it is important to learn about its pros and cons before taking the plunge.
- Generous rewards and returnsMarriott Bonvoy has more than 7,000 properties all over the world, and you earn six points for every $1 you spend at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties. In addition, you earn four points for purchases made at U.S. gas stations, U.S. restaurants and other qualifying services. Even for non-qualifying services, you earn two points.
- Marriott-specific featuresThe card offers a free night stay every year on the anniversary date of your card. If you spend more than $60,000 in one calendar year with your card, you qualify for an additional night stay for free. The Marriott points you earn can also be exchanged for airline points.
- Silver Elite statusWith this card, you automatically get Silver Elite status in the rewards program for Marriott Bonvoy which otherwise requires a minimum of 10 qualifying nights per year. With this status, you can enjoy perks like 10% bonus on points for hotel stays, member’s room rates and premium on-property wireless internet.
- Generous welcome offerIf you make $3,000 worth of eligible purchases on your card in the first three months, you can earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points, along with up to $150 in statement credits.
- Lower value for non-Marriott redemptionsWhile the card can offer great value in regards to Marriott Bonvoy hotel stays, you will get significantly less value from your points if you redeem them for other purposes. The ratios for airline points transfers are also significantly lower.
- Annual feeThe card comes with a $125 annual fee. It is difficult for customers other than Marriott enthusiasts to justify this fee considering the rewards structure.
- Marriott-specific downsidesThe card only comes with the Silver Elite level, which is the lowest tier in the Marriott Bonvoy Elite program. You also have to spend at least $60,000 in a calendar year to qualify for the second free night perk.
The MoneyGeek team analyzes popular cards and chooses the best cards every month across multiple categories. The American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card is featured in our Best Small Business Credit Cards list of top offerings. You can compare it with the other featured cards.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
With the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card, you enjoy many benefits with a high rewards rate for business purchases and travel costs, including six points per dollar spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. You also get automatic Silver Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program, a possible 75,000 bonus points as a welcome offer and one night stay for free every year. The reward points never expire and there are no blackout days.
Since it is a small business card, it is not included in your personal credit report. Apart from the perks of the Silver Elite status, you can redeem your points at Marriott Bonvoy properties or transfer them to more than 40 different airlines.
Other Features Explained
The American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card offers several other benefits and features, such as:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Employee cardsYou can issue supplementary cards for your employees and set individual limits while earning points on their purchases and receiving real-time purchase alerts.
- QuickBooks integrationYour business card transactions are automatically enrolled and categorized in QuickBooks.
- Extended warrantyFor eligible purchases, any manufacturer’s warranty that is less than five years will be extended by an additional year.
"You can combine points from business and personal Marriott credit cards for a great redemption." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$125
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate2–6 Points per $1*
- Airline Benefits
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card comes with a high variable APR of 15.74% to 24.74%, with a variable 25.24% APR for cash advances and a high 29.24% variable penalty APR if you make late payments. The APR is based on the creditworthiness of the customer and is decided at the time of the opening of the account.
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card comes with a fairly high annual fee of $125.
When you compare this credit card with alternatives, pay close attention to the APR and all relevant fees. When comparing with a card you already hold, just go through your last card statement or check the website or mobile app of your card provider. You can also find the information you need from the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Whenever you are getting a new credit card, there are certain considerations that need to be taken into account.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If this will be your first or only credit card, the first thing to consider is the relatively high APR. This can result in higher interest payments unless you pay your card off before each billing cycle. Also, this card can make more sense if you are looking specifically for business use and are loyal to the Marriott Bonvoy brand. This is also a good choice for international travel as there are no overseas transaction fees.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you travel frequently for business and stay at Marriott Bonvoy properties, it can make sense to add this card to your wallet as an additional card, especially for the Marriott-specific perks and the high rate of earning reward points. You can also take advantage of the automatic Silver Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program and all the perks that come with it. However, you also need to think about the relatively high APR and the high annual fee.
MoneyGeek follows a well-defined, transparent and streamlined methodology while reviewing credit cards. We collect data from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau database, use standardized data points for easy analysis, estimate average spend profiles, determine the long-term value and re-rank frequently.
How American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card Compares to Other Cards
This card is a great choice for travel-focused business users with an existing loyalty towards Marriott Bonvoy due to its high rate of rewards and brand tie-in features. However, you can compare it against other small business credit cards keeping your specific criteria in mind.
Quick Comparison of American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
- Annual Fee: $125
- APR: 15.74% - 24.74% variable
- International Transaction Fee: $0
- Rewards: 2X-6X on eligible purchases
- Mine Verdict: Best suited for business users loyal to Marriott
American Express Blue Business Plus Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $0 -** APR:** 13.24%-19.24%
- International Transaction Fee: $0
- Rewards: 2X on first $50,000
- Mini Verdict: Best suited for business users who do not want brand tie-ins
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Here are some frequently asked questions about the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card that can help you decide.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you are not sure about whether this card will work for you, you can check out other cards that come without brand tie-ins. If you are looking for a personal card, consider cards that offer substantial reward schemes. For business use, you can check out other business-focused or travel-focused cards.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Chase United Club Infinite
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Citi Premier Card
American Express Blue Business Cash Card
U.S. Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature