The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card is a great fit for business customers who are Marriott enthusiasts and travel frequently. The annual fee of $125 is easily offset by a free night’s stay every year. You can quickly rack up Marriott points that help you reach elite status while also being useful for other travel-related activities like booking air tickets. Customers can even enjoy high redemption value on reward points.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card at a Glance
For business users who travel frequently and are loyal to the Marriott Bonvoy brand, the Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card might be a good choice. It can help fast-track your Marriott elite status and brings several unique features and rewards.
- Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Excellent card for maximizing the rewards you earn while traveling
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $125Annual Fee
- 2–6 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 6xRewards Rate at Hotels
- 4xRewards Rate on TV, Phone, Internet Services
Pros & Cons Explained
While the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card can be a particularly good choice for certain people, it is important to learn about its pros and cons before taking the plunge.
- Generous rewards and returnsMarriott Bonvoy has more than 7,000 properties all over the world, and you earn six points for every $1 you spend at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties. In addition, you earn four points for purchases made at U.S. gas stations, U.S. restaurants and other qualifying services. Even for non-qualifying services, you earn two points.
- Marriott-specific featuresThe card offers a free night stay every year on the anniversary date of your card. If you spend more than $60,000 in one calendar year with your card, you qualify for an additional night stay for free. The Marriott points you earn can also be exchanged for airline points.
- Silver Elite statusWith this card, you automatically get Silver Elite status in the rewards program for Marriott Bonvoy which otherwise requires a minimum of 10 qualifying nights per year. With this status, you can enjoy perks like 10% bonus on points for hotel stays, member’s room rates and premium on-property wireless internet.
- Generous welcome offerIf you make $3,000 worth of eligible purchases on your card in the first three months, you can earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Lower value for non-Marriott redemptionsWhile the card can offer great value in regards to Marriott Bonvoy hotel stays, you will get significantly less value from your points if you redeem them for other purposes. The ratios for airline points transfers are also significantly lower.
- Annual feeThe card comes with a $125 annual fee. It is difficult for customers other than Marriott enthusiasts to justify this fee considering the rewards structure.
- Marriott-specific downsidesThe card only comes with the Silver Elite level, which is the lowest tier in the Marriott Bonvoy Elite program. You also have to spend at least $60,000 in a calendar year to qualify for the second free night perk.
The MoneyGeek team analyzes popular cards and chooses the best cards every month across multiple categories. The Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card is featured in our Best Small Business Credit Cards list of top offerings. You can compare it with the other featured cards.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
With the Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card, you enjoy many benefits with a high rewards rate for business purchases and travel costs, including six points per dollar spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. You also get automatic Silver Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program, a possible 75,000 bonus points as a welcome offer and one night stay for free every year. The reward points never expire and there are no blackout days.
Since it is a small business card, it is not included in your personal credit report. Apart from the perks of the Silver Elite status, you can redeem your points at Marriott Bonvoy properties or transfer them to more than 40 different airlines.
Other Features Explained
The Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card offers several other benefits and features, such as:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Employee cardsYou can issue supplementary cards for your employees and set individual limits while earning points on their purchases and receiving real-time purchase alerts.
- QuickBooks integrationYour business card transactions are automatically enrolled and categorized in QuickBooks.
- Extended warrantyFor eligible purchases, any manufacturer’s warranty that is less than five years will be extended by an additional year.
"You can combine points from business and personal Marriott credit cards for a great redemption." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR20.74% – 29.74% Variable
- Annual Fee$125
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate2–6 Points per $1*
- Airline Benefits
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card comes with a high variable APR of 20.74% – 29.74%, with a variable 29.99% APR for cash advances and a high 29.99% variable penalty APR if you make late payments. The APR is based on the creditworthiness of the customer and is decided at the time of the opening of the account.
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card comes with a fairly high annual fee of $125.
When you compare this credit card with alternatives, pay close attention to the APR and all relevant fees. When comparing with a card you already hold, just go through your last card statement or check the website or mobile app of your card provider. You can also find the information you need from the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card?
Other Considerations for Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Whenever you are getting a new credit card, there are certain considerations that need to be taken into account.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If this will be your first or only credit card, the first thing to consider is the relatively high APR. This can result in higher interest payments unless you pay your card off before each billing cycle. Also, this card can make more sense if you are looking specifically for business use and are loyal to the Marriott Bonvoy brand. This is also a good choice for international travel as there are no overseas transaction fees.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you travel frequently for business and stay at Marriott Bonvoy properties, it can make sense to add this card to your wallet as an additional card, especially for the Marriott-specific perks and the high rate of earning reward points. You can also take advantage of the automatic Silver Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program and all the perks that come with it. However, you also need to think about the relatively high APR and the high annual fee.
MoneyGeek follows a well-defined, transparent and streamlined methodology while reviewing credit cards. We collect data from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau database, use standardized data points for easy analysis, estimate average spend profiles, determine the long-term value and re-rank frequently.
How Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card Compares to Other Cards
This card is a great choice for travel-focused business users with an existing loyalty towards Marriott Bonvoy due to its high rate of rewards and brand tie-in features. However, you can compare it against other small business credit cards keeping your specific criteria in mind.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
Quick Comparison of Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
- Annual Fee: $125
- APR: 20.74% – 29.74% variable
- International Transaction Fee: $0
- Rewards: 2X-6X on eligible purchases
- Mine Verdict: Best suited for business users loyal to Marriott
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Annual Fee: $0
- APR: 18.24% – 26.24% variable
- International Transaction Fee: $0
- Rewards: 2X on first $50,000
- Mini Verdict: Best suited for business users who do not want brand tie-ins
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card that can help you decide.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you are not sure about whether this card will work for you, you can check out other cards that come without brand tie-ins. If you are looking for a personal card, consider cards that offer substantial reward schemes. For business use, you can check out other business-focused or travel-focused cards.
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Marriott Bonvoy Business Card." Accessed August 19, 2021.
- Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. "Credit card agreement database." Accessed August 19, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.