The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
With this card, you earn seven points per dollar spent at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, five points per dollar spent at U.S. supermarkets, restaurants and gas stations and three points per dollar on other purchases.
This card also offers you a welcome bonus of 70,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points plus a Free Night Reward after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card in the first three months of Card Membership. The offer expires 7/19/2023.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Hilton Honors American Express Card at a Glance
The Hilton Honors American Express Card rewards you with complimentary Hilton Honors Silver Status, allowing you to enjoy benefits like free internet access, two complimentary water bottles per stay and more.
For spending $20,000 in a calendar year, you will earn Hilton Honors Gold Status through the end of the following calendar year.
- Hilton Honors American Express Card
A good travel rewards card for people who are casual guests at Hilton hotels and resorts
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 3–7 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 7xRewards Rate at Hotels
- 5xRewards Rate on Dining
Pros & Cons Explained
It’s important to understand the Hilton Honors American Express Card benefits and drawbacks so you can make a better decision about this card.
- No annual feeThis card charges a $0 annual fee, making it a strong option among other travel-focused cards with hefty annual fees and mediocre rewards programs.
- No foreign transaction feeWith no fee on international transactions, this card is ideal for use while traveling abroad.
- Welcome offerThe welcome bonus of this card lets you earn 70,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points plus a Free Night Reward after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card in the first three months of Card Membership. The offer expires on 7/19/2023.
- High APRThe variable APR of this card is 20.74% – 29.74%, higher than the average APR. Carrying a balance forward every month with a high APR is not recommended.
- Requires good creditThe Hilton Honors American Express Card credit score requirement is good to excellent. People with bad credit scores cannot get approval for this card.
- Fewer rewards than other Hilton Honors cardsWhile this card has a solid rewards structure for casual travelers, other Hilton Honors cards are available with better rewards rates.
MoneyGeek has not featured this card in The Best Travel Credit Cards of 2022. We update this list monthly. You can go through it to see if any other card is a good fit for your needs.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The bonus and rewards program of the Hilton Honors American Express Card will help you understand the value offered by this card.
Points reward rate
With this card, you earn seven points per dollar spent on eligible purchases at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, five points per dollar spent at U.S. supermarkets, restaurants and gas stations and three points per dollar on other purchases.
After spending $1,000 with this card in the first three months, you’ll earn 70,000 bonus points and a Free Night. The offer expires on 07/19/2023.
Automatic Silver Status
You get complimentary Hilton Honors Silver Status after getting this card, allowing you to enjoy many more benefits.
Gold status upgrade
You can upgrade the Hilton Honors Silver Status to Gold by spending $20,000 on eligible purchases in a calendar year.
Other Features Explained
The Hilton Honors American Express Card also offers many other features that may help you decide if this is the right card for you among other cards of the same category.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Global Assist HotlineIn case of any emergency while traveling, you can get in touch with the 24/7 helpline that can give you legal advice, medical advice or any other assistance.
- Additional cardsYou can get additional cards issued for others, such as your spouse or child.
- Fraud protectionIf your card is used in any fraudulent transactions, you’ll have no liability.
With this card, get exclusive access to card-member-only events like sporting events, concerts, family events and much more.
Understanding the Fine Print
There are few different kinds of fees charged by the American Express Hilton Honors Card. Understanding the various fees and charges will help you determine the cost of this card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR20.74% – 29.74% Variable
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate3–7 Points per $1*
- Airline Benefits
With a high variable APR of 20.74% – 29.74%, this card is not a suitable option if you like to carry your balance forward every month. If you don’t pay your balance in full, you’ll accrue significant interest.
Cash Advance Fee
On taking out a cash advance with this card, you either pay $10 or 5% of the total amount, whichever is greater.
You can find out this information on your credit card issuer’s website, mobile app, billing statement or the Credit Card Agreement Database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Hilton Honors American Express Card?
Other Considerations for Hilton Honors American Express Card
While making the final decision about this card, keep your history with credit cards in mind as it may affect how you use this card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
You’ll maximize your rewards by using this card for travel purchases and everyday purchases as it offers a high reward rate at U.S. supermarkets, grocery stores, and gas stations. You’ll reach the spending requirement for the welcome bonus sooner by making purchases in these categories.
However, only spend what you can pay off in full before the due date since its high APR can cause you to accrue high interest charges on your balance.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Since this card has no annual fee, it is affordable to keep this card in addition to other cards in your wallet. You may use this card for travel purchases and for everyday purchases since it offers a high reward rate for both types of purchases. With no foreign transaction fee, this card is also ideal for international usage.
We follow a six-step process to review credit cards and our methodology involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data points, analyzing potential cardholder profiles, considering annual and introductory bonuses, establishing the card values and reviewing data monthly to reprocess rankings.
How Hilton Honors American Express Card Compares to Other Cards
The Hilton Honors American Express Card compares well to other cards in the same category as it offers a high rewards rate and many other bonuses with a $0 annual fee.
Quick Comparison of Hilton Honors American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Purchase APR: 20.74% – 29.74% variable
- Annual fee: $0
- International transactions fee: 0%
- Points reward rate: 7 points per dollar spent on hotel purchases
- Best For: Occasional travelers who often stay at Hilton hotels and want a card with no annual fee
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
- Purchase APR: 20.74% – 29.74% variable
- Annual fee: $95
- International transactions fee: 0%
- Points reward rate: 12 points per dollar spent on hotel purchases
- Best For: Frequent travelers who want to pile up Hilton rewards points quickly
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
The following frequently asked questions provide a lot of other details about the Hilton Honors American Express Card.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
Although this card is a good choice if you’re a frequent Hilton traveler looking for a card with a great rewards program and no annual fee, you can look at other cards of the same category if you’re not sure about getting this card.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Hilton Honors Card." Accessed September 9, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.