People who often stay at Hilton hotels and resorts and want a card with no annual fee and a reasonable rewards rate on hotel purchases will benefit the most from the American Express Hilton Honors Card.
American Express Hilton Honors Card Review
With this card, you earn seven points per dollar spent at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, five points per dollar spent at U.S. supermarkets, restaurants and gas stations and three points per dollar on other purchases.
This card also offers you a welcome bonus of 100,000 bonus points for spending $1,000 within the first three months. You can also earn an additional 50,000 bonus points if you spend $5,000 within the first six months.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Hilton Honors Card at a Glance
The American Express Hilton Honors Card rewards you with complimentary Hilton Honors Silver Status, allowing you to enjoy benefits like free internet access, two complimentary water bottles per stay and more.
For spending $20,000 in a calendar year, you will earn Hilton Honors Gold Status through the end of the following calendar year.
- American Express Hilton Honors Card
A good travel rewards card for people who are casual guests at Hilton hotels and resorts
- Good–ExcellentCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 3–7 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 7xRewards Rate at Hotels
- 5xRewards Rate on Dining
Pros & Cons Explained
It’s important to understand the American Express Hilton Honors Card benefits and drawbacks so you can make a better decision about this card.
- No annual feeThis card charges a $0 annual fee, making it a strong option among other travel-focused cards with hefty annual fees and mediocre rewards programs.
- No foreign transaction feeWith no fee on international transactions, this card is ideal for use while traveling abroad.
- Welcome offerThe welcome bonus of this card lets you earn 100,000 points for spending $1,000 within the first three months. If you spend $5,000 within the first six months, you’ll earn an additional 50,000 points.
- High APRThe variable APR of this card is 15.74%–24.74%, higher than the average APR. Carrying a balance forward every month with a high APR is not recommended.
- Requires good creditThe American Express Hilton Honors Card credit score requirement is good to excellent. People with bad credit scores cannot get approval for this card.
- Fewer rewards than other Hilton Honors cardsWhile this card has a solid rewards structure for casual travelers, other Hilton Honors cards are available with better rewards rates.
MoneyGeek has not featured this card in The Best Travel Credit Cards of 2021. We update this list monthly. You can go through it to see if any other card is a good fit for your needs.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The bonus and rewards program of the American Express Hilton Honors Card will help you understand the value offered by this card.
Points reward rate
With this card, you earn seven points per dollar spent on eligible purchases at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, five points per dollar spent at U.S. supermarkets, restaurants and gas stations and three points per dollar on other purchases.
After spending $1,000 with this card in the first three months, you’ll earn 100,000 bonus points. Once you spend $5,000 within the first six months, you’ll earn an additional 50,000 bonus points. These points can be redeemed to book stays at Hilton hotels and resorts.
Automatic Silver Status
You get complimentary Hilton Honors Silver Status after getting this card, allowing you to enjoy many more benefits.
Gold status upgrade
You can upgrade the Hilton Honors Silver Status to Gold by spending $20,000 on eligible purchases in a calendar year.
Other Features Explained
The American Express Hilton Honors Card also offers many other features that may help you decide if this is the right card for you among other cards of the same category.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Global Assist HotlineIn case of any emergency while traveling, you can get in touch with the 24/7 helpline that can give you legal advice, medical advice or any other assistance.
- Additional cardsYou can get additional cards issued for others, such as your spouse or child.
- Fraud protectionIf your card is used in any fraudulent transactions, you’ll have no liability.
With this card, get exclusive access to card-member-only events like sporting events, concerts, family events and much more.
Understanding the Fine Print
There are few different kinds of fees charged by the American Express Hilton Honors Card. Understanding the various fees and charges will help you determine the cost of this card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate3–7 Points per $1*
- Airline Benefits
With a high variable APR of 15.74%–24.74%, this card is not a suitable option if you like to carry your balance forward every month. If you don’t pay your balance in full, you’ll accrue significant interest.
Cash Advance Fee
On taking out a cash advance with this card, you either pay $10 or 5% of the total amount, whichever is greater.
You can find out this information on your credit card issuer’s website, mobile app, billing statement or the Credit Card Agreement Database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Hilton Honors Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Hilton Honors Card
While making the final decision about this card, keep your history with credit cards in mind as it may affect how you use this card.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
You’ll maximize your rewards by using this card for travel purchases and everyday purchases as it offers a high reward rate at U.S. supermarkets, grocery stores, and gas stations. You’ll reach the spending requirement for the welcome bonus sooner by making purchases in these categories.
However, only spend what you can pay off in full before the due date since its high APR can cause you to accrue high interest charges on your balance.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Since this card has no annual fee, it is affordable to keep this card in addition to other cards in your wallet. You may use this card for travel purchases and for everyday purchases since it offers a high reward rate for both types of purchases. With no foreign transaction fee, this card is also ideal for international usage.
We follow a six-step process to review credit cards and our methodology involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data points, analyzing potential cardholder profiles, considering annual and introductory bonuses, establishing the card values and reviewing data monthly to reprocess rankings.
How American Express Hilton Honors Card Compares to Other Cards
The American Express Hilton Honors Card compares well to other cards in the same category as it offers a high rewards rate and many other bonuses with a $0 annual fee.
Quick Comparison of American Express Hilton Honors Card
American Express Hilton Honors Card
- Purchase APR: 15.74%–24.74%
- Annual fee: $0
- International transactions fee: 0%
- Points reward rate: 7 points per dollar spent on hotel purchases
- Best For: Occasional travelers who often stay at Hilton hotels and want a card with no annual fee
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
- Purchase APR: 15.74%–24.74%
- Annual fee: $95
- International transactions fee: 0%
- Points reward rate: 12 points per dollar spent on hotel purchases
- Best For: Frequent travelers who want to pile up Hilton rewards points quickly
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
The following frequently asked questions provide a lot of other details about the American Express Hilton Honors Card.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
Although this card is a good choice if you’re a frequent Hilton traveler looking for a card with a great rewards program and no annual fee, you can look at other cards of the same category if you’re not sure about getting this card.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Chase United Club Infinite
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Citi Premier Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Hilton Honors Card." Accessed September 9, 2021.