The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
A good travel card with a great rewards program for frequent Delta flyers.
- 1–3 Miles per $1*Rewards Rate
- 20.99% – 29.99% VariableAPR
- $550Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
We follow a six-step process to review credit cards, and our methodology involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data points, potential cardholder profiles, considering annual and introductory bonuses, establishing the card values and reviewing data monthly to reprocess rankings.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
With this card, you earn three miles on every dollar spent making purchases through Delta. This includes seat upgrades, lounge passes, food, drinks and more. For every other purchase, you earn one mile per dollar. You also get complimentary access to Delta Sky Miles Club lounge and the Centurion lounge, where you can relax before boarding a Delta flight and enjoy amenities like WiFi, showers, food and drinks, power stations and much more.
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card Overview
Looking over the bonuses and rewards structure of this card will help you decide if it offers more value than other cards of the same category.
- Pay no fee on international transactions
- Get access to Delta Sky Club lounge and Centurion lounge
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months.
- Get up to 20% savings on in-flight purchases back as a statement credit
- Enter Delta Sky Club® at no cost and bring up to two guests or immediate family at a rate of $50 per person per visit. Effective 2/1/25, Reserve Card Members will receive 15 Visits per year to the Delta Sky Club; to earn an unlimited number of Visits each year starting on 2/1/25, the total eligible purchases on the Card must equal $75,000 or more between 1/1/24 and 12/31/24, and each calendar year thereafter.
- Earn three miles on every dollar spent on Delta purchases
- Earn one mile on every dollar spent on other purchases
- Get an annual companion pass which can be redeemed for a free round-trip domestic Delta flight
- Get baggage insurance coverage up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage
- Earn $100 credit for the Global Entry application fee or an $85 credit for the TSA PreCheck application fee With Status Boost®, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card through 12/31/23, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different from the miles you earn towards flights. Effective 1/1/24, this benefit will no longer be available, and there will be a new way to earn toward Medallion Status with the Card. Learn more at delta.com/skymilesprogramchanges.
- Eligible Card Members get 15% off when using miles to book Award Travel on Delta flights through delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Discount not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
- Receive a domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or domestic Main Cabin round trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
Important Card Details
Knowing the fees and charges of the American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card can help you use this card more effectively as well as allow you to determine if the fees make sense for your financial needs.
This card charges a variable APR of 20.99% – 29.99%, higher than the average APR. You have to pay your balance in full every month to avoid accruing interest charges on your balance.
With a high annual fee of $550, this card may be an expensive option compared to other cards of the same category. However, paying this annual fee may be worth it if you utilize the rewards program fully.
Cash Advance Fee
When taking out a cash advance with this card, you either pay $10 or 5% of the total amount, whichever is greater, as a cash advance fee.
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card offers some additional features that may be beneficial for you.
- Travel insurance: This card provides you with travel insurance that covers trip delays, cancellations, baggage damage or theft and car rental or loss so you can enjoy your trip in peace.
- Priority boarding: When flying Delta flights, you can get the main cabin one priority boarding for you and up to eight companions traveling on the same reservation.
- Concierge service: You can call the number on the back of your card for the complimentary concierge service, which can help you choose restaurants for dining or select the perfect gift for a loved one and much more.
- Free first checked bag: You can check a bag for free for you and up to eight of your companions, saving up to $30 per bag.
How the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card Compares To Other Cards
While the American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve is a great travel rewards card and it offers a good rewards program for frequent Delta flyers, it has a high annual fee compared to other cards of the same category. Analyzing this card as well as one of its competitors can help you determine if it’s the right card for you.
How the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card Compares
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Purchase APR: 20.99% – 29.99% variable
- Annual fee: $550
- International transactions fee: $0
- Miles reward rate: Three miles per dollar spent on Delta purchases, one mile per dollar spent on other purchases.
- Best For: Frequent Delta flyers looking for a card with a great rewards program.
United Explorer Card
- Purchase APR: 21.74% – 28.74% variable
- Annual fee: $95
- International transactions fee: $0
- Miles reward rate: Two miles per dollar spent on airline purchases, one mile per dollar spent on other purchases.
- Best For: Frequent users of United airlines looking for a card with low annual fee and a good rewards program
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.