American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card Review
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card is a good option for people who travel for business and are looking to earn miles through purchases without worrying about foreign transaction fees. This card has an affordable annual fee of $99, which is waived for the first year.
Business customers looking for a good travel rewards card may benefit from the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card. It allows the cardholder to check one bag for free each flight and receive priority boarding privileges. If your business makes a lot of purchases related to U.S.-based shipping and advertising, you can earn additional miles. You can also use this card to dine out with clients as it rewards you with miles for purchases made at restaurants. Additionally, there is no fee for foreign transactions.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card at a Glance
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card’s benefits allow for various opportunities to earn miles through business purchases on shipping, dining, advertising on select media and purchases made directly with Delta. This card is also ideal for international use as it does not have foreign transaction fees.
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
A great miles rewards card with no foreign transaction fee for frequent business travelers
- Good-ExcellentCredit Needed
- $99Annual Fee
- 1–2 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
Pros & Cons Explained
The various American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card benefits make it an appealing option. However, it is also important to know the drawbacks of the card before deciding on getting one.
- No foreign transaction feeThere are no fees for foreign transactions, making it a great card for international travels.
- Delta flight credit of $100Cardholders can get $100 off their next Delta flight if they spend $10,000 in purchases using their Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card in a calendar year.
- Delta perksCardholders can enjoy priority boarding and check their first bag for free on every flight.
- Up to 20% savingsUsing this credit card for in-flight purchases can help you save up to 20%. These will be in the form of a statement of credit.
- High interest ratesAPR for purchases is 15.74%–24.74%. For cash advances, the APR is 25.24%. These rates are high but you can avoid them by paying in full every month.
- High penalty APRThe penalty APR is 29.24%. It applies to accounts with two or more late payments within a 12-month period, those who do not pay the minimum payment by the closing date of the billing period or those whose payments were returned. The penalty APR will apply for at least 12 billing periods.
- No luxury benefitsCompared to other miles rewards cards, the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card benefits are limited. Aside from priority boarding and a free checked bag, there are no other significant travel perks.
This American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card review shows the benefits of the card. However, it may not be the best option for everyone. It is also not among MoneyGeek’s selection of the best credit cards. If you are looking for the best business credit cards or the best travel cards, you may want to consider other options.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card also offers different bonuses and rewards — from welcome bonuses to earning and redeeming miles. Check these out and compare them with other credit cards to make sure you are getting the best card for your needs.
As a welcome offer, cardholders can get 70,000 bonus miles and a $50 statement credit. All you have to do is spend $2,000 in purchases in the first three months.
Earn and redeem miles
Using the card can help you earn miles, which you can use to pay for flights. Earn 2x miles at restaurants, direct Delta purchases, and eligible advertising and shipping purchases. You will earn 1x on other eligible purchases.
Introductory annual fee
The annual fee for a Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card is $99. However, this is waived the first year.
Other Features Explained
Knowing the features of the card and comparing them with others can help you decide whether it is the best credit card for your needs. In addition to its rewards and benefits, the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card offers various security features and customer support services.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Baggage insuranceCardholders can enjoy a baggage insurance plan when they purchase airfare using their Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card. This insurance covers lost, damaged or stolen baggage.
- Car rental loss and damage insuranceThe card also offers car rental loss and damage insurance. It protects you against large expenses if your rental vehicle in a covered territory gets damaged or stolen. To get this coverage, you have to use your card to reserve and pay for the entire rental and decline the collision damage policy at the rental company counter.
- Extended warrantyUsing your Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card on eligible purchases allows you to have up to one additional year of warranty coverage. This applies to covered purchases in the U.S. or other territories. The item’s original warranty should be five years or less.
"The American Express Business App can help you streamline and organize your business expenses on the go. You have the ability to get employee cards and earn rewards from their purchases as well." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Before you proceed with an American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card application, make sure you understand all of its features, rates and fees. Take note of the APR, transaction fees and reward earning rates because these will affect your future credit card use.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$99
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2 Miles per $1
- Airline Benefits
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card has a fairly high variable APR for both purchases and cash advances. The rate for purchases is 15.74%–24.74%, while the rate for cash advances is 25.24%. Additionally, there is a penalty APR of 29.24% for those with two or more late payments within a year, who do not pay the minimum payment on time or whose payment was returned.
The annual fee for this credit card is $99. It is waived for the first year. For cash advances, you will have to pay either $5 or 3% of the amount for every transaction, whichever is greater. Foreign transactions do not have fees. Late payments and returned payments, on the other hand, come with up to $39 penalty fees.
The rates to earn miles vary depending on the transaction. If you use your card at restaurants, on direct Delta purchases or on U.S.-based advertising and shipping, you can earn 2x miles. The rate for other eligible purchases is one mile per dollar spent.
Credit cards have different features and offers. Make sure you understand these before choosing a card. This way, you can have the assurance that you are getting the best deal possible based on your needs as a cardholder. To learn more about fees, interest rates and other features, check out the card issuer’s website. If you already have a credit card to compare, read your latest billing statement or explore the online and mobile app accounts. Additionally, you can also use the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
To figure out whether an American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card is right for you, consider how you plan on using it in the future. Will it be your only credit card? Or are you going to use it as an additional credit card?
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan on getting a Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card as your first or only credit card, consider the purchases you will be paying for. To maximize its benefits, use it for eligible purchases that let you earn miles. However, you should also consider the high APR. If you do not pay your monthly bills in full, you may end up with bigger expenses. If you think you can pay in full every month, this card may work well for your business travels as it does not have foreign transaction fees. You also get to enjoy priority boarding and save some money because of the free checked bag for every flight.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
As an additional credit card in your wallet, the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card is best for earning miles through various purchases. For instance, if your business makes purchases from shipping and advertising service providers, you may want to shift that spending to this card. Make sure you understand the rewards and fees of your other most-used cards to ensure you properly split your purchases among your cards.
For this American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card review, MoneyGeek used a methodology and review process involving the collection of information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database and the credit card companies themselves. Standardized points based on fees, bonuses and rewards were used to evaluate the company. MoneyGeek repeats this process regularly as credit card details and offers change.
How American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card Compares to Other Cards
If you are looking for a basic miles card for your business travels, then this credit card may be beneficial for you. There are various ways to earn miles, which you can use to buy flights. There are no foreign transaction fees, which makes it ideal for international travel. However, it has a higher APR and fewer travel perks compared to some other similar credit cards.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
- American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card vs American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
- American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card vs American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
- American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card vs Chase United Business
Quick Comparison of American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
- Annual Fee: $0 in the first year and $99 after
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Regular APR on Purchases: 15.74%–24.74%
- Welcome Bonus Offer: 50,000 bonus miles and $50 statement credit for $2,000 worth of purchases within the first three months
- Best for: Frequent business travelers looking for a card ideal for earning miles without foreign transaction fees
Chase Ink Business Preferred
- Annual Fee: $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Regular APR on Purchases: 15.99%–20.99%
- Welcome Bonus Offer: 100,000 bonus points for $15,000 worth of purchases in the first three months
- Best for: Business travelers looking for a card with sign-up bonuses and no foreign transaction fees
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card to help you better understand its features. Use these pieces of information to decide whether it is an ideal option for you or not.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
While some business travelers may find the American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card an ideal choice, it may not be the best option for everyone. Consider how you plan on using your credit card and compare the fees and features of multiple cards. If you think a miles business card is not right for you, consider getting a rewards card or a cash back card.
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card
World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
Wells Fargo Business Platinum Credit Card
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Amazon Business Card
Citi Custom Cash Card
American Express Blue Business Plus Credit Card
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
American Express Business Platinum Card
American Express Business Gold Card
American Express Cash Magnet Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
American Express Hilton Honors Card
American Express Gold Card
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Card
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
American Express Plum Card
American Express The Platinum Card
U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
U.S. Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature
U.S. Bank Triple Cash Rewards Visa Business Card
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card
Citi Secured Mastercard
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Citi Double Cash Card
Citi Premier Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Simplicity Card
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Chase Freedom Student
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier
PenFed Pathfinder Rewards Visa Signature
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
Capital One VentureOne Rewards
Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards
Bank of America Premium Rewards Card
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature
Capital One Venture X
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Mastercard Titanium Card
Disney Premier Visa Card
Capital One Spark Miles Select
Credit One Bank Platinum Rewards Visa
Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard
Alliant Credit Union Cashback Visa Signature Credit Card
Alliant Credit Union Visa Platinum Card
Capital One Spark Miles
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Bank of America BankAmericard
Capital One Spark Cash Select - Good Credit
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Disney Visa Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Mastercard Black Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Capital One Platinum Secured Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Rewards
Indigo Platinum Mastercard
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express
NASCAR® American Express® Card from Credit One Bank
Indigo Unsecured Mastercard
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Bank of America BankAmericard for Students
Bank of America Travel Rewards for Students
Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards
Chime Credit Builder Secured Visa Credit Card
Bank of America Cash Rewards for Students
Mastercard Gold Card
Navy Federal Visa cashRewards Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card." Accessed September 1, 2021.
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card Application Terms and Conditions." Accessed September 1, 2021.
- Chase. "Ink Business Preferred Credit Card." Accessed September 1, 2021.
- Chase. "Ink Business Preferred Credit Card Pricing and Terms." Accessed September 1, 2021.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. "Credit Card Agreement Database." Accessed September 1, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed September 1, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.