The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Business owners who prefer cash back over points should consider the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card. This card has no annual fee and a 2% cash back rate on all eligible purchases up to $50,000 per year. Earnings are automatically credited to your account as statement credits. After the $50,000 limit, the card’s cash back rate rolls down to 1%. Given the cap on cash back, this card is best for those who spend moderately.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card at a Glance
Best suited for owners who want a simple reward system, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card offers a 2% cash back rate on all eligible purchases up to $50,000 annually.
- American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
A simple cash back rewards card that helps you avoid hassles
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1–2% Cash Back*Rewards Rate
- 1xRewards Rate on TV, Phone, Internet Services
- 1xRewards Rate on Gas
Pros & Cons Explained
While the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is well-known for its high cash back rate, the card comes with some drawbacks that should be considered before application.
- Competitive Cash Back RateEarn a 2% cash back rate on all eligible purchases up to $50,000 per year, then 1% after hitting the cap. Earnings are automatically given through statement credit and there are no complicated categories or earning rates to keep track of.
- Introductory APR of 0%Not commonly seen in most business cards, you can get a 0% Intro APR for all purchases within 12 months of you acquiring the card, then a variable APR of 18.24% – 26.24% after.
- No Annual FeesPay no annual fees for the life of the card. Paired with the introductory APR of 0%, you can save hundreds to thousands of dollars in the first year.
- Welcome OfferThe American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card offers $250 in statement credit if you spend $3,000 within the first three months of your account opening.
- Cash Back Earning LimitThe 2% rate only applies to eligible purchases up to $50,000 per calendar year, then it switches to a 1% rate. This is inconvenient for big spenders, who may opt for other cards with a larger cap or no cap at all.
- Foreign Transaction FeesPurchases abroad are charged a 2.7% fee, which makes this a mediocre option for business owners who frequently travel internationally.
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is not one of our top-rated cash back cards. Review MoneyGeek’s list of the best cash back rewards cards to see if other options are better for you.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Business owners who aim for practical cash back opportunities will enjoy the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card's easy rewards. MoneyGeek outlines bonuses you can get from this card below.
Cash Back Rate
The 2% cash back rate applies to all purchases in a year up to $50,000. After that, the rate switches to 1%.
If you spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months after getting the card, you can get $250 in statement credit.
Introductory 0% APR
For the first 12 months after acquiring the card, you can enjoy 0% Intro APR on all purchases, then a variable APR of 18.24% – 26.24% after.
Other Features Explained
Beyond the 2% cash back rate, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card offers a host of other features that business owners can benefit from.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Expanded Buying PowerIf you go over your credit limit, the Expanded Buying Power feature can help you continue making purchases with no penalties or fees. The extra amount you’re allowed is based on your creditworthiness.
- Additional Authorized UsersYou can add up to 99 authorized users with no fees attached. This is uncommon in most business cards and not only lets you save, but it also lets you earn more in cash back from employee purchases.
- Easily Track Business SpendingThrough the American Express Business App, you can track what your business spends through the card and compile receipts.
Business owners actually have the flexibility on this card to go above the limit. It is due each month with the minimum monthly payment, but on month’s where spending needs to be a little higher than normal, this can be a good tool.
Understanding the Fine Print
Prior to applying for the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card, make sure to understand the fine print and all the fees involved.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR18.24% – 26.24% Variable
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2% Cash Back*
- Airline Benefits
Cash Back Reward Rate
The cash back rate on the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is 2%, with a maximum eligible purchase limit of $50,000 per calendar year. After hitting this threshold, the rate becomes 1%.
Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
For the first 12 months, you get an introductory 0% APR. After this, there is a variable APR of 18.24% – 26.24%, with the actual rate being based on your creditworthiness.
Balance Transfer Fees
For balance transfers, a fee of $5 or 3% applies, whichever is greater.
A penalty APR of 29.99% applies if you do any of these three things: make two consecutive late payments within a 12-month period, make a payment that gets returned or fail to contribute the minimum payment by the due date. This penalty APR applies for 12 billing periods in a row.
Foreign Transaction Fees
For every purchase abroad, you get charged a 2.7% transaction fee. This means that for every $1,000 you spend using the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card abroad, you pay an extra $27.
To understand how the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card stacks up against other cards, you can find similar information on your monthly credit card statement or your card provider’s business website. You can also find more of the fine print in the credit card agreement database, which is maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
While the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is attractive for its straightforwardness and simplicity, there are a number of things to consider based on your current financial situation.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan to make the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card the only business card you own, keep in mind the limit to the cash back rate. Small business owners who spend less than $50,000 annually will have no problem as they can keep the 2% rate, but those who spend more may want to look elsewhere. Additionally, business owners who don’t have a strong credit score may find it difficult to qualify for this card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you plan to get the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card and make it an additional credit card in your wallet, make sure to use it to its full capacity. Take advantage of the lack of fees on additional users and make this a business card you give to your employees, letting them earn cash back.
You can also make use of this for everyday varied purchases to ensure easy redemption of cash back, and use an unlimited rewards card for specific purchases. Alternatively, if you plan to make a big purchase, make use of its introductory 0% APR to pay for it over time, interest-free.
MoneyGeek examines credit cards thoroughly through a six-step process to find the best one for each consumer. We start by collecting credit card information and standardizing it against other cards using data points. Then we factor in any bonuses involved and establish the credit card’s data value and ranking. Finally, we review and update this information monthly and re-rank accordingly.
How American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card Compares to Other Cards
In the cash back category, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card holds its own as a simple and straightforward option for business owners. However, you might find that other cards will suit you better based on your business’ needs. This especially applies if you spend a lot on an annual basis or spend more in a specific category. Evaluate your business spending habits to properly determine what card will give you the most benefits.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
Quick Comparison of American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
- Cash Back Rate: 2% on eligible purchases up to $50,000, then 1%
- Variable APR: 18.24% – 26.24%
- Annual Fee: None
- Welcome Bonus: $250 after spending $3,000 within the first three months
- Mini Verdict: Best for business owners who want a no-frills cash back card
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
- Cash Back Rate: 5% on first $25,000 in essential business categories, 2% on first $25,000 in restaurants and gas stations, then 1%
- Variable APR: 18.24% – 26.24%
- Annual Fee: None
- Welcome Bonus: $750 after spending $6,000 within the first three months
- Mini Verdict: Best for business owners who spend a lot in specific categories
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card has a lot of ins and outs that may take time to understand. MoneyGeek answered a few frequently asked questions about the card to help you make decisions sooner.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card benefits business owners who want a simple cash back card with an easy redemption scheme. If you believe your business may need a different card, make sure to take a look at other cards MoneyGeek examined within the cash back, rewards and travel categories.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
United℠ Explorer Card
USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Secured Card
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Milestone Mastercard® - $700 Credit Limit
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Mastercard® Black Card™
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
OakStone Gold Secured Mastercard®
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Chase Slate Edge℠
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
United Gateway℠ Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Citi® Double Cash Card
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
World of Hyatt Credit Card
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Spark 1.5% Cash Select
World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard® Secured Credit Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
PenFed Pathfinder® Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
U.S. Bank Triple Cash Rewards Visa® Business Card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
West Elm Key Rewards Credit Card
Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
United℠ Business Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
Destiny Mastercard® - $700 Credit Limit
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING RATES, FEES, AND OTHER COST INFORMATION." Accessed August 31, 2021.
- American Express. "Check to see if you Pre-Qualify for Offers." Accessed August 31, 2021.
- American Express. "American Express Ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction in the J.D. Power U.S. Online & Mobile App Credit Card Satisfaction Studies." Accessed August 31, 2021.
- American Express. "Open Up Your Possibilities with the Amex® App." Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. "Credit card agreement database." Accessed August 31, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.