Citi ThankYou Rewards Transfer Partners
You may transfer your ThankYou points to various airline, hotel and retail Citi transfer partners. Transfer rates depend on the card you have and the transfer partner.
Not all Citi rewards cards come with ThankYou points. If you have a card that does, you may transfer your points to various Citi transfer partners, including JetBlue TrueBlue, Choice Privileges, Emirates Skywards, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and Shop Your Way.
The main reason people transfer their ThankYou points to Citi transfer partners is to get better value for their points than they would otherwise. This is especially the case if you have the Citi Prestige Card or the Citi Premier® Card.
Carrying out a points transfer to any of Citi's ThankYou transfer partners is pretty straightforward. You simply need to log in to the ThankYou Rewards platform, select your partner, link your account and decide how many points to transfer.
On This Page:
You may transfer your ThankYou points to most Citi airline and hotel partners at a 1:1 ratio.
The Citi card you have may have a bearing on the points transfer rate through some transfer partners.
In some cases, you may get more value for your points through the ThankYou Travel Center.
Which Citi Cards Earn ThankYou Rewards?
Citi Cards With Transfer Partnerships
Depending on the Citi card you have, you may or may not earn rewards. Further, the rewards you earn might come in the form of cash back, ThankYou points or points/miles linked to a particular brand. Cards that come with ThankYou points allow you to carry out point transfers to Citi transfer partners. Cards with ThankYou points currently on offer include:
- Citi Rewards+® Card. This no-annual-fee card lets you earn 5X ThankYou points per dollar on up to combined spending of $6,000 toward air travel and hotel purchases during the first 12 months. You earn 2X points per dollar up to a combined total of $6,000 in purchases at supermarkets and gas stations per year. All other purchases earn 1X points per dollar. If you spend $1,500 on purchases in the first three months, you get 20,000 bonus points. This card automatically rounds up to the nearest 10 points each time you make a purchase. For example, even a $3 purchase earns 10 points.
- Citi Premier® Card. This card comes with a $95 annual fee. It offers up to 3X points per dollar at restaurants, gas stations and supermarkets as well as on flights and hotels. You get 60,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months. Cardholders also stand to enjoy a $100 annual hotel savings benefit.
- Citi Custom Cash℠ Card. The Citi Custom Cash℠ Card comes with no annual fees. The cash back you earn comes in the form of ThankYou points. You earn 5% cash back on up to $500 you spend on your highest eligible spend category each billing cycle and 1% thereafter. You get $200 cash back by spending $750 on purchases within the first three months.
- Citi Double Cash Credit Card. This no-annual-fee card from Citi lets you earn cash back in the form of ThankYou points. You stand to earn 2% cash back on all purchases — 1% when you make a transaction and 1% when you make your payment.
Who Is Citibank Partnered With?
You may carry out a Citi ThankYou points transfer to any of Citi’s transfer partners, be it an airline, a group of hotels or a retail establishment.
Citi’s Airline Partners
There are several Citi airline transfer partners to choose from, and you may also benefit by booking flights with other airlines that are part of different airline alliances.
Top Airline Partners
- Citi’s Airline PartnersExplanation of Benefits
1,000 ThankYou points fetch 1,000 Flying Blue miles. You may use your Flying Blue miles for flights, upgrades, car rentals and hotel bookings.
You get 1,000 Skywards miles for 1,000 ThankYou points. You may use your Skywards miles to book flights with Emirates, flydubai or any Emirates Skywards partner airline. You may also redeem your miles for hotel stays, excursions and shopping.
Depending on the Citi card you have, you may get 800 or 1,000 TrueBlue points for 1,000 ThankYou points. You may use your TrueBlue points for flights on JetBlue or Hawaiian Airlines, as well as vacation packages.
1,000 ThankYou points translate to 1,000 Virgin points. You may use your Virgin points for flights and upgrades. You also get access to member offers and sale fares.
Other Airline Partners
- Avianca LifeMiles. With a 1:1 points transfer ratio, you may use your LifeMiles for airline tickets, car rentals, hotel stays and more. You can also use your LifeMiles to book flights with Star Alliance members.
- Asia Miles. With transfers at a 1:1 ratio, you may use your Asia Miles with 27 airline partners, including Cathay Pacific Airways and Cathay Dragon. You may also redeem them for hotel stays, gift cards, dining packages, concert tickets and more.
- Club Premier. Your Citi ThankYou points transfer to Club Premier comes at a 1:1 ratio. You may redeem your Premier points for flights with Aeromexico and SkyTeam airlines, hotel stays and experiences.
- Etihad Guest. 1,000 ThankYou points convert to 1,000 Guest miles. You may use Etihad Guest to book flights within the U.S. through American Airlines, ANA or Royal Air Maroc. You may choose to redeem your points through the Rewards Shop. Experiencing Etihad's famed Business and First Class might also be within your reach.
- Eva Air Infinity MileageLands. Transfers to Infinity MileageLands take place at a 1:1 ratio. Given that EVA Air is a Star Alliance member, there are multiple airline options. Using MileageLands for intra-region round-trips might be worth your while.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer. 1,000 ThankYou points fetch 1,000 Qantas points. You may use your points to book flights with Qantas and its partner airlines, as well as for upgrades and hotel stays. Using your Qantas points to book flights usually involves paying high fuel surcharges.
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club. Your transfers take place at a 1:1 ratio. You may use your Qmiles to book flights with Qatar Airways or airlines that are part of the oneworld alliance. Privilege Club members get access to various benefits.
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer. A ThankYou points transfer to the KrisFlyer program takes place at a 1:1 ratio. You may use your KrisFlyer miles to book flights and for upgrades with Singapore Airlines and various Star Alliance member airlines.
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus. You get 1,000 Royal Orchid Plus miles for 1,000 ThankYou points. As a Star Alliance member, it gives you multiple domestic, regional, and intercontinental options from which to choose. You may redeem your miles for flight tickets, excess baggage charges, hotel stays, lounge access and various lifestyle rewards.
- Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles. Transfers take place at a 1:1 ratio. You may redeem your miles for flight tickets and upgrades through Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance member airlines. You may also use them to shop at Shop&Miles or through its program partners.
Citi’s Hotel Partners
If you wish to use ThankYou points to pay for hotel stays, transferring them to a Citi hotel partner might work in your favor.
Top Hotel Partners
- Citi’s Hotel PartnersExplanation of Benefits
Depending on your Citi card, you may get 1,500 or 2,000 Choice Privileges points for every 1,000 ThankYou points transferred. You may redeem your Choice Privileges points for hotel stays, cruises, gift cards and more. While most Choice properties cater to budget travelers, there are some notable exceptions outside of the U.S.
Depending on the Citi card you have, 1,000 ThankYou points convert to 800 or 1,000 Wyndham Rewards points. Once transferred, you may use your points for hotel stays, experiences, merchandise and more.
Citi’s Retail Partners
Using your ThankYou points to pay for retail purchases is possible by transferring them to a Citi retail partner. As of now, there's only one.
Top Retail Partners
- Citi’s Retail PartnersExplanation of Benefits
Shop Your Way (Sears)
One ThankYou point converts to 10 Shop Your Way points. You may use them to pay for in-store and online purchases at Sears and Kmart.
While you can combine ThankYou Points earned from different Citi credit cards, the expiration date remains attached to the original card. If you close the card in which they were earned, those points must be used quickly. Otherwise, they will be lost. — Lee Huffman, credit card expert at BaldThoughts.com
What Is the Benefit of Transferring Points With Citi Travel Partners?
As long as your card comes with ThankYou points, you may transfer them to any Citi transfer partner. Transfers to most partners take place at a 1:1 ratio. If you have a Citi Prestige Card or a Citi Premier® Card, you receive more value for your points when you transfer them to JetBlue TrueBlue, Wyndham Rewards or Choice Privileges.
If you plan to use your ThankYou points to pay for flight tickets or hotel stays, you may want to compare their worth through the ThankYou Travel Center and the travel partner in question before carrying out your points transfer. This is because you may get a better deal through the former if you're booking economy flights as well as in some other scenarios.
The value of your points may vary based on the Citi transfer partner you choose and a few other variables, such as travel dates and routes.
Consider this scenario: You may transfer your ThankYou points to the Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles frequent flyer program and then use your miles to book flights with its Star Alliance partners. You'll need just 7,500 Miles&Smiles miles to book any domestic flight within the U.S. through United, whereas you could end up paying 20,000 United miles or more if you use the United MileagePlus program.
Similarly, transferring your ThankYou points to Avianca LifeMiles might lead to good deals when booking flights through Star Alliance members. It also helps that the LifeMiles program does not charge carrier surcharges.
How to Use Citi ThankYou Rewards With Transfer Partners
The ThankYou points transfer partner you choose notwithstanding, the process you need to follow to carry out a points transfer remains the same.
Log in to your online Thank You Rewards account.
Go to More Ways to Redeem and select Points Transfer.
Locate the desired transfer partner and select Transfer Now.
If you have not entered your loyalty program number, do so at this stage.
Enter the number of points you wish to transfer in increments of 1,000.
Go through the Terms and Conditions and select Continue.
Confirm the transfer and wait for it to process.
Bear in mind that the transfer of ThankYou points is nonreversible.
Check the worth of your ThankYou points through the ThankYou Travel Center and your desired transfer partner if you wish to use them to book flight tickets or hotel stays because the former might offer better value in some instances.
FAQs About Citi Transfer Partners
Take a look at answers to other commonly asked questions about Citi points transfer partners to determine if you might benefit by transferring your ThankYou points.
Now that you've identified Citi ThankYou transfer partners and learned how to transfer your points, take time to determine if doing so would result in better value. If you wish to get a new Citi credit card that offers ThankYou points, compare your options across parameters such as annual fees, reward rates, welcome offers and added benefits.
Compare & Review Credit Cards
Learn More About Credit Cards
About the Author
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.