AARP Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service (2022)
AARP Auto, which offers insurance through its parent company, The Hartford, scored 55 out of 100 on MoneyGeek’s scoring methodology, making it a below-average auto insurer. While it received an excellent rating in financial stability, the insurer was lackluster in satisfaction, affordability, complaints and discounts. AARP Auto’s policies are expensive when compared to other insurance companies; however, it does offer unique add-ons and discounts.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your auto insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
AARP Auto has a decent customer service reputation, with MoneyGeek rating both its customer satisfaction and customer complaints as average. It does not score well on affordability or discounts. AARP Auto offers car insurance policies that are expensive compared to other insurance firms.
To learn more about AARP Auto and other insurers, MoneyGeek has resources on the cheapest and best car insurance companies that you can visit. You can also use our tool to compare AARP Auto’s performance with the competition.
How Does AARP Rank for Customer Service?
Insurance companies like AARP Auto Insurance/The Hartford are rated by outlets such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Each company focuses on different parts of the insurance business, including customer satisfaction, different experiences by agents or consumers and financial strength. AARP Auto Insurance ranks as average in most categories but higher in financial strength than competitors do. When choosing an insurance company, you should weigh their ratings and compare the auto quotes you receive to determine what factors are most important to you before you make a decision.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Customer satisfaction is not just dealing with service-related questions or billing issues. For many consumers, how a company handles its claims experience is one of the most important factors when deciding who to trust.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The customer complaint ratio is calculated by the NAIC using a national median of 1.00 to compare all car insurance companies. AARP Auto Insurance has a rating of 1.93, which is almost twice the national average. This means they get almost twice as many customer complaints compared to other auto insurance competitors. They also have slightly less than a two-star review on Consumer Affairs, mainly due to billing issues or rate adjustments.
AARP Auto Insurance Quotes: How Much Does it Cost?
MoneyGeek calculated the affordability scores of AARP Auto based on J.D. Power’s survey data. Our analysis determined that AARP Auto is expensive compared to other insurance companies.
Get a personalized quote from AARP Auto to see how much a policy will cost for you. Bear in mind that unless you’re only shopping for the cheapest car insurance available, price shouldn’t be the only factor influencing your decision. Examine other aspects such as customer satisfaction and complaint ratios before deciding which policy suits your needs best.
Is AARP Car Insurance Expensive or Cheap? Why?
An auto insurance policy from AARP Auto is expensive when compared with the offers from other companies. Certain insurers have higher rates due to how they calculate factors such as a driver’s age, driving history and location.
Discounts Offered by AARP That Can Help You Save
You can lower the cost of your AARP Auto policy by using discounts from its parent company, The Hartford. It offers some of the most common car insurance discounts in the market, including bundling, pay-in-full, defensive driving and airbag discounts. However, The Hartford doesn’t have discounts for insuring multiple cars, being a good student, safe driver, having an anti-theft system or going paperless.
AARP Auto policyholders can take advantage of discounts that other insurance companies don’t commonly offer. Among these unique discounts are those for anti-lock brakes and having a hybrid or electric vehicle under the alternative energy discount.
Compare AARP Directly With Other Car Insurance Companies
MoneyGeek has the resources that can help you compare AARP Auto to other insurers in your state. Our comparison tool will help you determine how AARP Auto performs in terms of customer services, cost and standout coverages. Our tool will also direct you to other resources that can provide additional help in comparing insurance providers.
Does AARP Offer Broad or Unique Coverage?
The Hartford, the parent company of AARP Auto, offers standard coverages such as liability insurance, comprehensive and collision insurance. It also provides AARP Auto customers the option to purchase some of the most common add-on coverages. You can get roadside assistance, rental car and travel reimbursement, accident forgiveness, gap insurance and deductible modification coverages through The Hartford. The only common add-ons it doesn’t offer are new car and better car replacement coverages.
In terms of unique add-on coverages, The Hartford offers full glass coverage. Rarely offered by other insurers, full glass coverage can help pay for your car’s headlights, mirrors and window repairs with no deductible.
What Online Auto Insurance Tools Does AARP Offer?
Seniors can expect exclusive features that set AARP Auto Insurance apart from their competitors. Coverages like lifetime renewability, auto rate protection and new car replacement are just some of the features policyholders can purchase. Customers who choose AARP Auto Insurance can save even more by bundling their auto and homeowner’s insurance policies together.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsThis feature will help you determine how much coverage you need based on your own personal household.
- Online Price QuotesUse the online quoting tool to get a car insurance quote anytime.
- Online ClaimsFile claims online, whether you’re a policyholder or not, and find repair and glass shops in your area.
- Mobile AppFor Apple and Android devices — use the app the same way you can use the online customer service center.
Other AARP Insurance Products
For many people, bundling makes sense and saves money. This isn’t true for everyone, so it’s always a good idea to get quotes from different companies who offer both one or the other and both auto and homeowners to review and compare. This way, you’ll know if you’re getting the best deal while still having all the coverage you need. AARP Auto Insurance offers different types of coverage to be a one-stop-shop for all your insurance needs.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceThis coverage is for those who own their home and need to protect the building, contents and liability.
- Renters InsuranceCondo owners need coverage for their contents as well as improvements and betterments to their property.
- Umbrella InsuranceAs the name suggests, umbrella insurance covers your liability over and above your auto and homeowner’s insurance.
- Condo InsuranceCondo owners need coverage for their contents as well as improvements and betterments to their property.
- Flood InsuranceFor flood damage.
The greater a company’s financial strength, the more likely they are able to meet their obligations, like paying customer claims. AM Best's Financial Strength Rating may not be a guarantee or warranty of a company's longevity, but it can provide peace of mind that if you have to make a claim against the auto insurance company, they’ll be able to pay. AARP Auto Insurance received an A+ Superior rating for several years in a row.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With AARP
Customers and non-policyholders can file a claim online with AARP Auto Insurance. If you’d rather call, the claims phone number is listed below. Be ready to provide some information when you file the claim: your name, policy number, vehicle(s) involved, personal information of all other people involved and details about the accident. The claim representative will record the information and provide you with a claim number. You will be assigned a claims adjustor who will walk you through the rest of the claims process.
Contact AARP Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
- The Hartford. "Our History." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Hartford Casualty Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- Consumer Affairs. "AARP Auto Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Independent Insurance Agent Satisfaction Study." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "Insurance Digital Experience Study - Service (2019)." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study (2019)." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "Insurance Shopping Study (2019)." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- AM Best Rating Services. "Hartford Casualty Insurance Company." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- AARP. "Auto Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Car Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Car Insurance Calculator." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Claims." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Customer Service Center." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Coverage." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Discounts." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Homeowners Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Renters Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Condo Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Umbrella Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Flood Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "All Vehicles." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Business Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Employee Benefits." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Contact Us." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "State Car Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "AARP Auto Insurance Program From The Hartford Reviews." Accessed March 21, 2020.