There are lots of benefits and features that AARP members can take advantage of — but they come at an additional cost. Ultimately, it’s best to get a quote to compare with competitors to see if AARP is the right fit for you.
Auto Insurance Review: AARP
AARP Auto Insurance targets seniors, 50 years and older and provides more perks to AARP members than to non-members. While the company offers unique coverages tailored to the senior population, the rates are typically higher than other car insurance companies. For those on a budget, you might find that AARP Auto Insurance may not be the best fit for your auto insurance needs.
How Does AARP Auto Insurance Rate?
Insurance companies like AARP Auto Insurance/The Hartford are rated by outlets such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Each company focuses on different parts of the insurance business, including customer satisfaction, different experiences by agents or consumers and financial strength. AARP Auto Insurance ranks as average in most categories but higher in financial strength than competitors do. When choosing an insurance company, you should weigh their ratings and compare the auto quotes you receive to determine what factors are most important to you before you make a decision.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Customer satisfaction is not just dealing with service-related questions or billing issues. For many consumers, how a company handles its claims experience is one of the most important factors when deciding who to trust.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The customer complaint ratio is calculated by the NAIC using a national median of 1 to compare all car insurance companies. AARP Auto Insurance has a rating of 1.93, which is almost twice the national average. This means they get almost twice as many customer complaints compared to other auto insurance competitors. They also have slightly less than a 2-star review on Consumer Affairs, mainly due to billing issues or rate adjustments.
The greater a company’s financial strength, the more likely they are able to meet their obligations, like paying customer claims. AM Best's Financial Strength Rating may not be a guarantee or warranty of a company's longevity, but it can provide peace of mind that if you have to make a claim against the auto insurance company, they’ll be able to pay. AARP Auto Insurance received an A+ Superior rating for several years in a row.
AARP Insurance Features
Seniors can expect exclusive features that set AARP Auto Insurance apart from their competitors. Coverages like lifetime renewability, auto rate protection and new car replacement are just some of the features policyholders can purchase. Customers who choose AARP Auto Insurance can save even more by bundling their auto and homeowner’s insurance policies together.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsThis feature will help you determine how much coverage you need based on your own personal household.
- Online Price QuotesUse the online quoting tool to get a car insurance quote anytime.
- Online ClaimsFile claims online, whether you’re a policyholder or not, and find repair and glass shops in your area.
- Mobile AppFor Apple and Android devices — use the app the same way you can use the online customer service center.
AARP Auto Coverage
Like other auto insurance companies, AARP Auto Insurance offers standard car coverages you’ve come to expect: liability, uninsured motorist, comprehensive, and collision. Learn more about these important coverages that protect both you and your vehicle after an accident.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionIf your at-fault in an accident and your car is damaged, this coverage will pay (less your deductible) to fix your car or pay the book value if it’s totaled after a covered accident.
- Personal Injury ProtectionNot offered in every state. This no-fault injury coverage helps to pay the same benefits as medical payments but also includes lost wages if you have to miss work due to being injured in a car accident.
- UninsuredThis coverage protects you if you are injured or if there is damage done to your vehicle and the other person doesn’t have insurance or enough coverage.
- LiabilityThis coverage protects the other person if you are at-fault in an accident and cause injuries or property damage.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
AARP Auto Insurance offers optional coverages to help meet its customers’ needs. This includes full glass coverage, towing, and rental car reimbursement. To cater to the elderly demographic, they also offer the AARP Auto Insurance Advantage Program, which has six bundled features and the Advantage Plus program which includes those features plus five additional benefits.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementIf your car is in the shop due to a covered accident, you’ll be able to get a rental car to get around until your car is fixed.
- Roadside AssistanceIf your vehicle breaks down or needs to be towed after an accident, call in for a tow.
- Accident ForgivenessKeeping a clean claims history has its advantages with this feature. If you haven’t had an accident in five years, you’re eligible for this benefit, which means your first at-fault accident is forgiven and you won’t receive a surcharge.
- Auto Glass RepairIf you have a glass claim, this coverage will pay the costs in full.
- New CarPurchased a brand-new car only to have it totaled in the first 15-months or before you’ve reached 15,000 miles? This feature will replace the car with a year newer model, without depreciation.
Available Discounts on AARP Car Insurance Coverage
Discounts are always able to be bundled together so auto insurance customers can get the maximum benefit on their car insurance policies. Check out the table below for all the available discounts for AARP Auto Insurance.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Defensive DriverReceive a certificate from a defensive driving course and get a discount for three years.
- Driver TrainingTaking approved training courses can help drivers of all ages on the policy save money on the premium costs.
- Good StudentHigh school, vocational and college students ages 16 to 25 can get this discount with a “B” GPA or above.
- Anti TheftKeeping your car safe means saving money, so features like car alarms, anti-theft devices, and location trackers can reduce your premium.
- Multi PolicyIf you have a home, condo, or rent, you can save 5% on your auto insurance and up to 20% on the home policy by insuring them both with The Hartford.
Other AARP Insurance Products
For many people, bundling makes sense and saves money. This isn’t true for everyone, so it’s always a good idea to get quotes from different companies who offer both one or the other and both auto and homeowners to review and compare. This way, you’ll know if you’re getting the best deal while still having all the coverage you need. AARP Auto Insurance offers different types of coverage to be a one-stop-shop for all your insurance needs.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceThis coverage is for those who own their home and need to protect the building, contents and liability.
- Renters InsuranceCondo owners need coverage for their contents as well as improvements and betterments to their property.
- Umbrella InsuranceAs the name suggests, umbrella insurance covers your liability over and above your auto and homeowner’s insurance.
- Condo InsuranceCondo owners need coverage for their contents as well as improvements and betterments to their property.
- Flood InsuranceFor flood damage.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With AARP
Customers and non-policyholders can file a claim online with AARP Auto Insurance. If you’d rather call, the claims phone number is listed below. Be ready to provide some information when you file the claim: your name, policy number, vehicle(s) involved, personal information of all other people involved and details about the accident. The claim representative will record the information and provide you with a claim number. You will be assigned a claims adjustor who will walk you through the rest of the claims process.
Contact AARP Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
- The Hartford. "Our History." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Hartford Casualty Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- Consumer Affairs. "AARP Auto Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Independent Insurance Agent Satisfaction Study." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "Insurance Digital Experience Study - Service (2019)." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study (2019)." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "Insurance Shopping Study (2019)." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- AM Best Rating Services. "Hartford Casualty Insurance Company." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- AARP. "Auto Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Car Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Car Insurance Calculator." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Claims." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Customer Service Center." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Coverage." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Discounts." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Homeowners Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Renters Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Condo Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Umbrella Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Flood Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "All Vehicles." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Business Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Employee Benefits." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "Contact Us." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "State Car Insurance." Accessed March 21, 2020.
- The Hartford. "AARP Auto Insurance Program From The Hartford Reviews." Accessed March 21, 2020.