The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
A good no-annual-fee balance transfer card with added protections
- ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 11.90% – 28.90% VariableAPR
- 15 monthsBalance Transfer Duration
MoneyGeek’s methodology and review process helps us determine the best credit cards for different profiles based on card fees, interest rates, rewards, benefits and more. We follow a comprehensive six-step process that involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data point weights, establishing the cards' values and ranks for different categories, and reviewing data and rankings, among other key rating factors.
If you have a military background and need a card with low fees, the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card is one of the best options available. With no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees and low APR rates, this credit card is ideal if you want a low-rate card. The 0% intro APR for 15 months offer can also help you pay off purchases without incurring any interest charges. However, this is not a card that earns rewards.
MoneyGeek broke down all the card’s features and pros and cons in our USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card review.
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card Overview
- No annual or foreign transaction fees
- 0% APR offer on balance transfers and convenience checks for the first 15 months,then a variable APR of 11.90% – 28.90% variable after that
- 0% APR offer applies to transfers and checks that post to your account in the first 90 days
- 3% balance transfer fee
- No penalty APR
- Applicants with excellent credit may qualify for low standard APRs
- Complimentary auto rental coverage, travel accident insurance, trip cancellation and interruption coverage, and baggage delay and reimbursement
- Zero liability provides a safeguard against unauthorized transactions
- Extended warranty
- Access to a concierge service
Important Card Details
Apart from interest charges, other rates and fees may apply to your USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card. Understanding these charges will help you avoid additional penalties, interest and fees that increase your credit card debt.
This card has a 0% introductory APR for 15 months, then a regular variable APR of 11.90% – 28.90%variable. You may qualify for even lower APR rates, if you have an excellent credit score.
You will not pay any annual fees for the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card.
Cash advance fee
The cash advance fee for the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card is 3% of the amount, but fees are waived if you transfer funds electronically to a USAA deposit account.
Balance transfer fee
The balance transfer fee for this card is 3% of the amount of each balance transfer.
Foreign transaction fees
You can use the card globally at no extra charge.
The penalty fee for late or returned payments is $25 for the first time and $35 for subsequent late or returned payments.
The USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card is a low-interest credit card that doesn’t offer rewards but has some of the lowest rates in the market. It also comes with the following main features:
- Standard features: USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card benefits include rental car insurance, travel accident insurance, concierge services for reservations, event tickets and shopping, trip cancellation and interruption coverage, baggage delay and reimbursement, and extended warranty protection on U.S. manufacturers' warranties.
- Security Features: This card comes with zero liability for unauthorized transactions. You can also access your account online or via the mobile app to report a stolen or lost card. Cardholders can set up alerts on their account and get notified in case of suspicious activity.
- Customer Experience: The USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card comes with round-the-clock access to customer support via phone, live chat or mobile app. You can also conveniently manage your account and make payments online. USAA has an excellent customer service record and received the highest score among all issuers in J.D. Power’s 2021 Credit Card Satisfaction Survey.
How the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card Compares To Other Cards
One of the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card benefits is its low standard APR. Compared to others, this credit card offers one of the lowest APRs available, starting at 11.90%. This card is also relatively low on fees, with no annual or foreign transaction fees or penalty APR. However, if you have a military background and you want a low cost card that also offers rewards in different spending categories, you may be better off with the USAA Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card.
How the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card Compares
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum
- Annual fee: None
- Purchase APR: **11.90% – 28.90% variable
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- Rewards rate: No rewards
- Best for: People who want a low-rate credit card and do not need a rewards card
USAA® Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card
- Annual fee: None
- Purchase APR: 14.90%–30.90% (Variable)
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- Rewards rate: 2 points per dollar for gas and dining, 1 point per dollar on all other eligible purchases
- Best for: People who want a low-cost credit card that also offers rewards in different spending categories
Frequently Asked Questions
- Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. "Credit Card Agreement Database." Accessed April 13, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Survey." Accessed April 13, 2022.
- USAA. "USAA Rate Advantage Visa® Platinum Credit Card." Accessed May 1, 2022.
- USAA. "USAA Rate Advantage Visa® Platinum Credit Card Rates and Fees." Accessed May 1, 2022.
- USAA. "USAA Rewards™ VisaSee note® Signature Credit Card." Accessed May 1, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.