The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
If you have varied spending habits and want to accumulate cash back without worrying about rotating categories, the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card is a solid credit card choice. Use this card to consolidate your debt and pay it off within the first year of account opening to take advantage of its promotional 0% APR balance transfer intro offer.
>>MORE: PENFED MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS: HOW TO BECOME A PENFED MEMBER
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card at a Glance
Unlike similar cards on the market, the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card doesn’t have a high cash back earning rate. But its flat-rate cash back on all spending categories makes this card an ideal choice for those with varied spending habits. Combined with its lack of an annual fee, this credit card is a decent option for potential cardholders.
- Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
A good no annual fee balance transfer card with cash back
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1.5% – 2% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 12 monthsBalance Transfer Duration
Pros & Cons Explained
Knowing the pros and cons of the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card helps you decide whether this card is right for you.
- No annual feeCardholders will not pay an annual fee while earning unlimited cash back rewards. This puts (and leaves) more money in your pocket.
- No foreign transaction feesThe absence of foreign transaction fees means this card is great for international travel.
- Bonus offerSpending $1,500 with your card in the first 90 days of opening your account gets you a $100 bonus statement credit.
- Flat-rate cash back rewardsEarn unlimited cash back on all your purchases with no rotating categories, minimums or expiration dates. This is a simplified and steady way to get rewards for your everyday spending.
- 0% APR balance transfer offer0% APR on balance transfers means you can consolidate your debt and pay it down without interest. This promotional offer applies for the first year upon credit card activation.
- High APRThe Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card’s purchase variable APR of 17.99% is high compared to similar cards on the market.
- Credit union membershipYou must be a PenFed credit union member to apply for this card. Also, the highest cash back rate for this card (2%) is only available if you’re a military member or a PenFed Honors Advantage Member.
MoneyGeek experts evaluate credit cards regularly to select our top picks for each card category. Compare this card to others that made our list for the best rewards credit cards.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
If you’re a PenFed Honors Advantage Member, you earn 2% cash back on all purchases with the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card. All other PenFed members earn 1.5% cash back. You can redeem your Power Cash rewards in the following ways:
Apply your cash back rewards directly to your PenFed credit card account as a statement credit.
Deposit into PenFed Account
You can transfer your cash back rewards to either your PenFed checking or share account.
Transfer to Another Financial Institution
Set up monthly deposits of your cash back rewards into other preferred accounts.
Other Features Explained
Other features and benefits of the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card include:
- Card FeatureDescription
- 24/7 fraud protectionPenFed monitors your account for fraudulent activity and contacts you immediately.
- EMV chip technologyThis technology makes it more difficult for fraudsters to duplicate your data or clone your card.
- Secure remote commerceConfidently shop online with multiple layers of payment security on your Visa card.
The Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card application requires a PenFed (formerly known as Pentagon Federal Credit Union) bank account. To qualify for the PenFed Honors Advantage Program, you must have either a PenFed checking account or a military background. Membership increases your cash back rewards earning rate.
Understanding the Fine Print
Understanding the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card’s associated fees and charges in detail can help you determine if it’s right for your budget and needs.
The table below provides an overview of what you can expect from this card. We’ll also explain the most important fees, interest rates and associated charges.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR17.99% Variable
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1.5% – 2% Cash Back
- Airline Benefits
Balance Transfer APR
The Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature Card offers 0% APR on balance transfers. After that date, all unpaid balances and new balance transfers will be subject to a non-variable APR of 17.99%. Users must pay a 3% fee on each balance transfer transaction.
Late payments on this card result in fees based on the remaining balance. A $20 late payment fee applies to balances less than $1,000, $25 for balances between $1,000 and $2,000 and $28 for balances more than $2,000.
Your purchase variable APR is 17.99%, based on your creditworthiness and the market rate.
Always review the APR and all other associated fees when applying for credit cards. You can find a credit card's fine print on your most recent billing statement or the credit card issuer's website or app. The credit card agreement for PenFed, formerly known as the Pentagon Federal Credit Union, can also be found on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's database.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card?
Other Considerations for Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Get the most out of your Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card, whether using it as your first and only credit card or as an additional credit card in your wallet.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan to use this as your only credit card, keep the following in mind:
To be eligible for the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card, you must have an excellent credit score, which could be problematic for first-time credit cardholders.
The Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature offers one of the best cash back rewards rates for a credit card with no annual fee. However, this card is far more limited than others in terms of earning rewards in other categories.
It’s worth becoming a PenFed Honors Advantage Member to earn more in cash back rewards than you can with other cash back credit cards.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Combining this card with others in your wallet could be a smart strategy in the following ways:
If you already have a cash back credit card with a higher rewards rate on certain categories (like business or travel spending), you can supplement purchases in other areas with the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card.
If this card has a lower APR than the ones you currently have, the promotional 0% APR balance transfer offer could be a cost-saving way to consolidate your debt and pay it off.
MoneyGeek gathers credit card data and information, such as fees, benefits and reward structure, to review and compare them with competitors in the same credit card category. Our ranking methodology determines which cards are included in our "Best Cards Lists" every month to help you find the best credit card offers and benefits for your needs.
How Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card Compares to Other Cards
The Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card is a credit union cash back rewards card that offers a flat cash back rate and other PenFed and Visa features for cardmembers’ protection. See how it stacks up against another cash back credit card with similar offers.
Quick Comparison of Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
- Recommended Credit: Good–Excellent
- No Annual Fee
- Variable APR: 17.99%
- Rewards Rate: 2% cash back on all purchases for Honors Advantage Members; 1.5% for non-members
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Intro APR Offer: Promotional 12-month 0% APR on balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.99%; 3% fee applies for each transaction
- $100 bonus statement credit after spending $1,500 within the first 90 days
- Best For: PenFed Honors Advantage Members who want cash back rewards
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Credit Score: Good–Excellent
- No Annual Fee
- Variable APR: 19.24% – 29.24% variable
- Rewards Rate: 1.5% cash back on all purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Intro APR Offer: 15-month 0% APR, then a variable APR of 19.24% – 29.24% after that
- $200 early spend bonus after spending $500 within the first 90 days
- Best For: Cash back rewards for everyday spending
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
MoneyGeek answers your questions about the Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card and other PenFed credit cards to help you decide if this card is right for you.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
Undecided about whether this card is right for you? You might consider other cash back credit cards that offer higher cash back rates on your purchases. You can also find options with more substantial welcome bonuses, or ones that don’t require a credit union membership to qualify.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
United℠ Explorer Card
USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Secured Card
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Milestone Mastercard® - $700 Credit Limit
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Mastercard® Black Card™
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
OakStone Gold Secured Mastercard®
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Learn more about credit cards in general
- PenFed. "Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card." Accessed February 25, 2022.
- PenFed. "Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card Summary of Terms." Accessed February 25, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.