Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Review
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express benefits offer great value if you’re a member of the Navy Federal Credit Union who spends a lot on everyday categories like dining, groceries, gas and transit. You can earn 3x points per dollar spent on these categories and 1x point per dollar for all other purchases.
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card rewards you for spending on everyday categories. If your food, grocery and gas expenses are high, you can quickly rack up reward points at a generous 3x points per dollar for these categories. All other eligible purchases earn you 1x point per dollar.
This card is also relatively low on fees compared to competitors and has no foreign transaction or annual fees. However, you need to have a military background and be a member of the Navy Federal Credit Union to qualify for the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express credit card.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express at a Glance
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card stands out as a low-cost rewards card that has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, no balance transfer fees and no cash advance fees. The generous rewards rate in everyday spending categories means you can get a lot of value from this card without having to pay costly fees.
- Navy Federal More Rewards American Express
A good no annual fee rewards card for people with average credit
- 9.65% - 18.00%APR
- $0Annual Fee
- 1-3 pointsRewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Dining
- 3xRewards Rate on Groceries
Pros & Cons Explained
If you spend a lot on categories like restaurants, groceries and gas, the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card is a solid choice. However, like any other credit card, it has pros and cons that you should consider before signing up.
- Generous rewards on everyday spending categoriesYou can earn unlimited rewards on your everyday spending with this card. At 3x points per dollar spent on gas, supermarkets, restaurants and food delivery, earning rewards on this card is easy. You also earn one point per dollar spent on any other category.
- Low standard APRThe Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card has a relatively low APR of 9.65%–18% compared to other cards in the same category. This makes it ideal if you want to save on fees while earning generous rewards.
- Few feesThis card has no annual fees or foreign transaction fees. You will also not pay any cash advance fees if you withdraw at a Navy Federal outlet or ATM. This means you do not have to worry about fees eating into the reward value of your card.
- Only Navy Federal Credit Union members can applyIf you do not have a military background, you are not eligible to apply for this card.
- No welcome bonus or 0% introductory APRThis card does not have a welcome bonus for new cardholders. It also does not have an introductory APR for new members, which is relatively common in other rewards cards.
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card may be the best rewards card for you if you have a military background. However, if you are not a member of the Navy Federal Credit Union, you can check out MoneyGeek’s recommendations of the best rewards credit cards to see which card suits your needs best.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express is a great rewards card for racking up points on everyday spending. It also offers plenty of redemption options making it convenient and easy to use.
This card has a tiered reward structure with everyday spending categories like restaurant and food delivery, supermarket purchases and gas expenses earning you 3x points per dollar. Every other eligible category earns you one point per dollar spent.
You can earn even more points if you shop online through Navy Federal’s Member Deals platform, where you get a rewards rate of 15 points per dollar.
There are multiple ways to redeem your Navy Federal More Rewards American Express points including:
- Statement credits: Redeem your reward points for statement credits on your account
- Travel: Use your reward points to pay for flights, car rentals or tours and vacation packages
- Gift cards: Redeem your points for gift cards
- Cash back: Have your cash back rewards deposited into your Navy Federal savings account
- Event tickets: Redeem your points for event tickets
- Merchandise: Reward points can also be redeemed for merchandise
Other Features Explained
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express offers members generous rewards on everyday spending categories like groceries and gas. It also comes with the following standard features
- Card FeatureDescription
- Retail protectionThis card comes with retail protection to cover loss or damage within 90 days of purchase
- Extended warrantyWhen you pay with your Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card, you get an extended warranty of up to 12 months for eligible purchases.
- Travel and car rental discountsYou can get up to 30% off on eligible hotels when you book on the Amex Benefits travel site. You can also get a 25% discount for car rentals.
The Navy Federal Credit Union’s Member Deals platform often has promotions that can earn you extra rewards on purchases. Check the platform regularly to see if there are extra rewards and bonus points that you can take advantage of to get the most out of your Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card.
Understanding the Fine Print
One of the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express benefits is that it’s relatively low on fees compared to competitors. However, there are still some key rates and fees you need to be aware of when signing up.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR9.65% - 18.00%
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1-3 points
- Airline Benefits
For both purchases and balance transfers, the standard APR on the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card is 9.65%–18% variable. For cash advances, the APR is 2% higher than your standard APR.
Annual fees and other fees
This card has no annual fees or foreign transaction fees. You will also not pay any cash advance fees when you use a Navy Federal branch or ATM.
For late or returned payments, cardholders will pay a fee of up to $20.
Cash back rewards rate
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card rewards structure is 3x points per dollar spent on restaurants and food delivery, gas and transit expenses and supermarket purchases. All other eligible purchases earn one point per dollar spent.
To learn more about the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express application process, fees and other features, you can check the card issuer's website or use sites like MoneyGeek. If you want to compare this card with other cards in your wallet, you can get the latest fees and features of your existing cards from your latest billing statement. You can also get useful information from the credit card agreement database.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Navy Federal More Rewards American Express?
Other Considerations for Navy Federal More Rewards American Express
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card is a solid choice for most people who qualify since its tiered reward system favors everyday spending. But does its usefulness vary depending on the other cards in your wallet?
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If this is your primary rewards card, you should keep the following in mind:
Groceries, gas, transit and dining purchases get the most rewards on this card. If you do not spend heavily in these categories, other cards will likely suit your needs better.
This Navy Federal card is co-branded with American Express, so you will get the most of the available perks, offers and discounts if you plan to frequently use American Express services, such as travel and hotel booking.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Card can make a good supplemental card in your wallet. You can make the most of it as a secondary card by keeping the following considerations in mind.
Low standard APR
This card has a relatively low ongoing APR compared to competitors, so you can use it for your larger purchases to save on interest fees and charges. That said, it’s really never advisable to carry over a balance from month to month on any credit card.
High rewards on everyday spending
This is a good card to use for everyday spending since you can earn unlimited rewards for dining, groceries and gas. You can put other purchases on your other cards if they have a better rewards rate for other purchases.
MoneyGeek uses a comprehensive methodology and review process to rate credit cards. We collect credit card information and standardize data point weights and potential cardholders' spending profiles. Our process also factors in the cards' value and ranks them in different categories. MoneyGeek also obtains data from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database, determines their long-term value and carries out regular re-ranking.
How Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Compares to Other Cards
If you are a Navy Federal Credit Union member, the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card is hard to beat in terms of rewards, fees and perks. However, if you prefer a card with more flexibility and a 0% introductory APR, options like the Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card may be a better fit for you.
Quick Comparison of Navy Federal More Rewards American Express
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Card
- Annual Fee: None
- Standard APR: 9.65%–18.00%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Rewards Rate: 3% cash back for restaurant, food delivery, gas and groceries. 1% for all other eligible purchases.
- Welcome Bonus: None
- Mini Verdict: Best if you are in the military and want to earn generous rewards on everyday spending with few fees.
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards Card
- Annual Fee: None
- Standard APR: 14.99%–24.99%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Rewards Rate: 1.5% flat-rate cash back for all categories
- Welcome Bonus: Earn $200 bonus cash back if you spend $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening. 18-month introductory 0% APR period.
- Mini Verdict: Best if you want a simple flat-rate rewards card with a 0% APR for balance transfers.
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
You can find more information about the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express application process and features in the frequently asked questions below.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you are a member of the Navy Federal Credit Union, the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express benefits offer solid value for everyday spending. The low ongoing APR and fees also mean that you can earn generous rewards without incurring lots of additional expenses. However, since this card does not have an introductory APR or a welcome bonus, you may find other rewards credit cards with these perks or opt for a flat-rate rewards card to get more cash back across all spending categories.
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
Bank of America Premium Rewards Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Mastercard Titanium Card
Disney Premier Visa Card
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Rewards Visa
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Capital One Spark Miles
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select - Good Credit
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business
Disney Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Card
Chase United Business
American Express Hilton Honors Card
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Rewards
Chase United Club Infinite
Indigo Platinum Mastercard
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum Card
American Express Plum Card
Chase United Explorer
NASCAR® American Express® Card from Credit One Bank
Learn more about credit cards in general
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.