The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- NHL® Discover it®
A good no-annual-fee cash back credit card for NHL fans
- 1%–5% Cash backRewards Rate
- 17.24% – 28.24% VariableAPR
- $0Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
MoneyGeek reviews credit cards using a well-defined methodology and review process. We collect information from the database of the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau, standardize data points for comparison, estimate average spend profiles and determine long-term value. Additionally, a re-ranking is done regularly.
The NHL® Discover it® credit card is best for hockey fans who want to earn points on purchases. You can customize your card to show your loyalty to your favorite NHL team. The card is also a good option for people who travel outside the United States, as it doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. Depending on your creditworthiness, you can have a medium to high APR.
NHL® Discover it® Overview
NHL® Discover it® Credit card benefits include cash back opportunities. Depending on your purchase, you can earn 1% to 5% cash back. The rewards do not expire. There are also different ways to redeem your cashback in any amount anytime.
- Regular APR: 16.99% – 27.99% variable
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable
- No annual or foreign transaction fees
- Choose from any of 32 NHL team logos as your card’s face
- 0% APR offer on balance transfers and purchases for the first 15 months
- 3% balance transfer fee until Ocotber 10, 2023, and 5% thereafter
- 0% APR applies on balance transfers that post to your account by October 10, 2023
- Earn 5% cash back on bonus categories that you need to activate each quarter
- Bonus cash back up to a predetermined spending limit
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Examples of bonus categories include grocery stores, gas stations, fitness clubs and digital wallets
- No penalty APR
- Free access to your credit score
- $0 fraud liability guarantee
Important Card Details
The features, rates and fees vary depending on the credit card you choose. Make sure you understand all details before applying for an NHL® Discover it®.
Depending on your creditworthiness, you may get a medium to high APR. The regular variable APR for the NHL® Discover it® is 16.99% – 27.99%. However, the issuer offers a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months after opening the account.
Cash Advance APR
The card has a cash advance APR of 29.99%, slightly higher than the card’s regular APR. Every cash advance is also subject to a fee of $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
There is no annual fee for the NHL® Discover it®.
Cash Back Reward Rate
Generally, you can earn unlimited 1% cash back on purchases. But if you buy from select places that fall under the chosen category, you can earn 5% cash back. Note that the categories change quarterly and this only applies to purchases up to a quarterly maximum.
Below are some of the various NHL® Discover it® credit card benefits and features you should consider before applying for the card.
- Balance Transfer: You can use this credit card for balance transfers. The issuer currently offers a 0% intro APR for the first 15 months, however, this offer is only valid until October 10, 2023. The card has a standard purchase APR of 16.99% – 27.99% which will apply after this period.
- Cash Advance: You can get a cash advance using this credit card. However, it comes with a high APR of 29.99%.
- Identity Alerts: You can monitor your Experian credit report and get notifications in your account if an inquiry is recorded. You’ll also be notified if your personal information, including your Social Security number, is found on dark websites.
- $0 Fraud Liability: Cardholders are protected with a $0 fraud liability guarantee which covers unauthorized purchases if your card information is improperly used.
How the NHL® Discover it® Compares To Other Cards
In comparison to other cash back cards, the NHL® Discover it® is a decent option. Like other cash back cards, the NHL® Discover it® requires cardholders to have a good to excellent credit score. The card offers APRs and cash back rewards that are similar to other cash back cards. Unlike other cards, however, the NHL® Discover it® has no international transaction fees.
How the NHL® Discover it® Compares
NHL® Discover it® Credit Card
- Annual fee: $0
- Foreign transaction fee: $0
- Rewards rate: 1%–5%
- Regular APR: **16.99% – 27.99% variable
- Best for: Hockey fans who want to show their loyalty to their favorite team and earn cash back
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Annual fee: $0
- Foreign transaction fee: 3%
- Rewards rate: 1.5%–5%
- Regular APR: 20.24% –28.99% variable
- Best for: Shoppers looking for cash back credit card with no annual fee
Frequently Asked Questions
- Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. "Credit card agreement database." Accessed April 14, 2022.
- Discover. "NHL Discover It Credit Card." Accessed April 14, 2022.
- Discover. "Top Perks of Discover’s Official NHL Credit Card." Accessed April 14, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed April 14, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.