Discover it Chrome Credit Card Review
If you want cash back rewards on gas and restaurant purchases, the Discover it Chrome credit card is a straightforward card for those purchases. And MoneyGeek’s review of the Discover it Chrome credit card found its introductory 0% APR offer makes it a good financing option for large purchases.
The Discover it Chrome credit card provides 2% cash back on gas and dining spending, with a $1,000 per quarter spending limit for receiving the 2% cash back reward. All purchases beyond the cap and for other categories get the regular 1% cash back rate.
Additionally, Discover matches the cash back you earn during the first year. For example, if you earn $100 in rewards, you get another $100 as a bonus. You also enjoy a 0% APR for purchases and balance transfers for 15 months from the opening date of the card.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Discover it Chrome Credit Card at a Glance
With the Discover it Chrome credit card, you earn 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases. The 2% rate applies to those purchases up to a combined $1,000 per quarter. All other purchases get the 1% standard cash back rate. And the Discover it Chrome card’s cash back match feature doubles the card’s rewards potential during the first year.
- Discover It Chrome Credit Card
A good no-annual-fee credit card with extra cash back at restaurants and gas stations
- Good-ExcellentCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 1%-2% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Dining
- 2xRewards Rate on Gas
Pros & Cons Explained
Before deciding if the Discover it Chrome card is a good cash back card for your needs, look over the pros and cons in MoneyGeek’s review. See if its benefits make up for its drawbacks or if you’re better off with a different card that gives you extra cash back for gas and restaurant spending.
- Simple cash back rewardsAll purchases made using the Discover it Chrome card get a 1% cash back reward, with no spending cap. But, the cash back rate is 2% for the first $1,000 per quarter in gas and dining purchases. The rewards do not expire, and they are easily redeemable at any amount.
- Cash back match for the first yearDiscover matches the cash back you earn on your first 12 billing cycles — automatically. For example, if you earn $200 in rewards, you get an additional $200. That also applies to redeemed rewards, and there’s no limit on the rewards you can earn.
- No annual feeThe Discover it Chrome card doesn’t charge an annual fee.
- Intro APR offerYou get to enjoy 0% APR on all purchases and balance transfers with the Discover it Chrome credit card for 15 months from account opening. For balance transfers to qualify, they need to post by a specific date. For example, the promo as of May 1, 2022, required a posting date no later than July 10, 2022. Once the introductory period ends, your APR is 12.24%–23.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Other cards offer higher reward rates for gas and restaurantsSimilar cards offer bigger cash back rewards on gas and dining purchases. Plus, you could find a card that gives 2% back on all categories.
- Bonus categories have a spending capYou only get 2% cash back for a combined spending of $1,000 per quarter on gas and restaurants. After that, you only get the regular 1% cash back rate.
- Not good for international travelYou don’t have to pay foreign transaction fees with the Discover it Chrome card. However, Discover isn’t widely accepted outside the United States.
- Requires good or excellent creditTo qualify for the Discover it Chrome credit card, you need a good or excellent credit score.
Every month, MoneyGeek ranks credit cards in our database and chooses the best for popular categories, such as cash back. While the Discover it Chrome card isn’t on our best-of list, you can see our picks for the best cash back rewards cards of 2022.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The biggest benefit of the Discover it Chrome credit card, according to our review, is the 2% cash back rewards rate for gas and restaurant purchases. Despite its quarterly spending cap of $1,000, it’s simple to earn rewards and redeem them right away.
While the Discover it Chrome card’s overall cash back rate of 1% is less compared to other cards, it’s still good since Discover matches the reward amount you earn during your card’s first year. Below is how to redeem cash back with the Discover it Chrome credit card.
Deposit your cash back amount into your bank account or apply it as a statement credit.
Pay with rewards
Use your cash back to pay an Amazon or PayPal purchase.
Convert your cash back to a gift card (you need a minimum of $5 to do this).
You can donate to a charity the cash back reward amount you earn.
Other Features Explained
Aside from its cash back rewards, the Discover it Chrome card offers benefits and features that add to its overall value:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Access to Discover’s mobile appWith Discover’s mobile app, you can redeem your cash back, contact customer support, view your FICO score and make payments.
- Free identity protection alertYou get a free notification if your Social Security number is uncovered on the Dark Web.
- Ability to freeze your cardYou can use Discover’s mobile app or website to temporarily disable your card, blocking purchases, cash advances and balance transfers.
With its introductory 15-month 0% APR on purchases, you can use the Discover it Chrome card for an upcoming major purchase. That way, you can make payments on it for up to 15 months and avoid interest, even though you’re financing the amount. But remember, interest kicks in after 15 months, so schedule a payment plan that guarantees pay off before then if possible.
Understanding the Fine Print
You can earn up to $20 a quarter or $80 a year in cash back rewards on only gas and restaurant purchases with the Discover it Chrome credit card. You get more with the 1% cash back on all other purchases. But, keep in mind the various fees that come with the Discover it Chrome card and how they may affect you.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR11.99% - 22.99%
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1%-2% Cash Back
- Airline Benefits
All your purchases and balance transfers get a 0% APR during your card’s first 15 months. After that, the card’s regular APR depends on your creditworthiness, ranging from 12.24% to 23.24%. For your balance transfers to get the intro APR, they must post by a specified date.
Cash Back Rewards Rate
For your first $1,000 per quarter of gas and dining purchases, you get 2% cash back. After hitting the cap, as with all other purchases, you get 1% in a cash back reward.
Balance Transfer Fee
Your balance transfers that post before the promo end date (as of May 1, 2022, July 10, 2022) have a 3% transfer fee. After that, it is 5% of the amount.
Late Payment Fee
You won’t be penalized the first time that you pay late. However, any subsequent late payments have a fee of up to $40.
If you’re comparing the Discover it Chrome credit card with other cash back cards, carefully study its cash back rates and spending caps. If you already have a cash back card, you can find its information on your billing statement or the provider’s website. To know more, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) credit card agreement database .
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Discover it Chrome Credit Card?
Other Considerations for Discover it Chrome Credit Card
MoneyGeek’s Discover it Chrome credit card review found it’s a good card for cash back rewards on gas and dining purchases. However, whether you use it as your only card or as an additional card in your wallet can help you decide if you should apply.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
The Discover it Chrome card provides 1% cash back on all your purchases. The big perk is 2% for your first $1,000 on gas and dining; then those expenses earn 1% like everything else. If you intend to use it as the only credit card in your wallet, think carefully if the spending cap is enough for your needs. You might want to consider another card that offers a higher bonus percentage or regular cash back rate or larger spending cap.
If you plan to spend time abroad, the Discover it Chrome card won’t be the best card in your wallet. While it doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees, it’s also not widely accepted outside the United States. Also, you may find it difficult to secure approval if you want to get the Discover it Chrome card as your first credit card since it requires good to excellent credit to qualify.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Since the Discover it Chrome credit card doesn’t have an annual fee, MoneyGeek recommends it as a secondary card. You can pair it with other rewards cards to take advantage of its 2% rate on gas and dining up to the $1,000 quarter limit. Then, you can use your other card for those and other categories or after you reach the limit to get a higher cash back rate.
MoneyGeek follows a rigorous methodology when reviewing credit cards. We independently collect data from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau database. We also standardize data points, use an average spend profile, factor in introductory and annual bonuses and many others. With constantly changing offers, our team regularly revisits our guides to ensure they are still accurate and relevant.
How Discover it Chrome Credit Card Compares to Other Cards
When we compare the Discover it Chrome credit card’s cash back rate of 2% for gas and restaurants and 1% for other purchases to other cards, it’s low. However, that doesn’t mean it’s bad — there are just better cards in the cash back rewards credit card market that also feature a $0 annual fee.
Quick Comparison of the Discover it Chrome Credit Card
Discover it Chrome Credit Card
- Cash back rate: 2% on gas and restaurants for up to $1,000 in combined purchases per quarter; 1% on everything else
- Annual fee: $0
- Bonus offer: Matches all the cash back rewards earned during the first year
- Intro offer: 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- Best for: People looking for cash back rewards on gas and dining
Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa Credit Card
- Cash back rate: 1.5% on all purchases
- Annual fee: $0
- Bonus offer: Get a $150 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in purchases in the first three months
- Intro offer: 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- Best for: People looking for a simple cash back card
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
As part of MoneyGeek’s Discover it Chrome credit card review, we included answers to frequently asked questions about this cash back rewards card that gives 2% for gas and restaurants. We hope they help you decide if it’s the right card for you.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
Bank of America Premium Rewards Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Mastercard Titanium Card
Disney Premier Visa Card
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Rewards Visa
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Capital One Spark Miles
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select - Good Credit
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business
Disney Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Card
Chase United Business
American Express Hilton Honors Card
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Rewards
Chase United Club Infinite
Indigo Platinum Mastercard
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum Card
American Express Plum Card
Chase United Explorer
NASCAR® American Express® Card from Credit One Bank
Bank of America BankAmericard
Indigo Unsecured Mastercard
U.S. Bank Triple Cash Rewards Visa Business Card
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Chase World of Hyatt
Bank of America BankAmericard for Students
World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
Bank of America Travel Rewards for Students
Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards
Chase Slate Edge
Chime Credit Builder Secured Visa Credit Card
Bank of America Cash Rewards for Students
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Mastercard Gold Card
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card
Discover it Student Cash Back Credit Card
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
Learn more about credit cards in general
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.