The Citi Diamond Preferred card is a great option for people who want to finance new purchases while avoiding interest payments. It is also good value for those looking to consolidate debt thanks to an excellent introductory 0% APR offer for the first 18 months of card ownership.
Citi Diamond Preferred Card Review
In this Citi Diamond Preferred Card review, we evaluate the features and benefits of the card. The biggest perk of this card is the introductory 0% APR offer. This basically means that you pay nothing in interest during the first 18 months of having the card. The 0% APR is valid for both new spending and balance transfers, making it a great card if you want to consolidate debt. There is no annual fee. However, there is no rewards program with this card.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Has Rewarding Welcome Offer
- Credit NeededExcellent
Citi Diamond Preferred Card at a Glance
If you are looking for a balance transfer card to consolidate debt or finance new purchases, the Citi Diamond Preferred Card’s benefits are appealing. With no annual fee, the long introductory 0% APR offer makes this card one of the best options for people who carry a balance on their card.
- Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Best balance transfer card for immediate transfers
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- 0% APR on new purchasesAPR Offer
- 12 monthsAPR Offer Duration
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfersBalance Transfer Offer
Pros & Cons Explained
While the Citi Diamond Preferred card is a great value balance transfer card, it is important for you to fully understand its pros and cons before you apply for it.
- Long 0% APR introductory offerWhile other cards also have introductory 0% APR offers, the Citi Diamond Preferred offers a very long 0% APR introductory period of 18 months. This makes it a good choice for debt consolidation and a prime option for interest-averse customers looking to finance new purchases.
- No annual feeWith no annual fee, you do not have to worry about annual spending to keep the card account.
- Citi offersMany perks come bundled with the card. You can borrow money against your card using the Citi Flex loan scheme, access live events and VIP experiences with the Citi Entertainment program and save on regular purchases with Citi Easy Deals.
- No rewardsMany customers prefer credit cards with a reward points program. With the Citi Diamond Preferred, there are no reward points of any kind.
- Late feesWhile some other cards forego late fees, the Citi Diamond Preferred card has late fees that you have to pay if you don’t pay your bills on time.
- Balance transfer feesWhile this is essentially a balance transfer card, you will have to pay a balance transfer fee.
- Foreign transaction feesThere is a fee for foreign transactions, so this card is not ideal for frequent international use.
The MoneyGeek team analyzes data of each credit card monthly and chooses top picks for popular card categories. Check out our top picks for balance transfer cards in 2021.
Other Features Explained
In addition to the low introductory APR and lack of an annual fee, here are some of the other key features of the Citi Diamond Preferred Card:
- Card FeatureDescription
- FICO score accessCard users can access their FICO score through their online card account to stay up to date on their credit score.
- Citi Easy DealsWith this program, you earn points according to 10% of your monthly spends and you can have access to special entertainment and dining experience through Citi Entertainment.
- Citi Identity Theft SolutionsCiti will help keep your identity safe by resolving identity theft issues quickly to help you get your life back on track.
"For optimal use, you can transfer your balance to this card account in the first 120 days of use and ensure that you pay the minimum due amount each month to avoid any impact on your credit score. This gives you a long time where you can finance new purchases or consolidate debt without worrying about interest payments." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Before applying for any credit card, it’s important you understand the fine print so that you are not caught off guard by fees or terms.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Balance Transfer Fee3%
- Balance Transfer APR14.74% –24.74%
- Late Fees$40.00
The card comes with a generous 18 months of 0% APR. Once this period lapses, there is a variable APR of 13.74% to 23.74% based on your credit standing. The same applies for balance transfers.
There is no annual fee for the Citi Diamond Preferred Card.
Foreign Transaction Fees
There is a foreign transaction fee of 3% of each transaction on this card.
Balance Transfer and Cash Advance Fees
For balance transfers, there is a fee of 3% of each transfer with a $5 minimum fee. For cash advances, there is a 5% fee for every transaction with a minimum of $10.
If you compare the Citi Diamond Preferred card with other balance transfer cards, take a look at the balance transfer fees and the length of the introductory 0% APR period for the best deal. If you want to compare with a card you already use, take a look at your billing statement or visit the website or mobile app of the card issuer. You can also find information through the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Citi Diamond Preferred Card?
Other Considerations for Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Whether the Citi Diamond Preferred card is a good fit for you depends on how you plan to use it and whether you plan to use it as your first or only credit card or in addition to other cards you already use.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you are getting this card as your first or only card, make sure that you work out if the benefits outweigh the costs. For example, be aware of the absence of reward points and monitor your spending to see if you can benefit from the Citi offers that come bundled with the card. Budget wisely for the introductory period so that your interest burden does not rise remarkably once the 0% APR offer ends.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If this is an additional card in your wallet, you might want to use it to transfer a high-interest balance from other existing cards to consolidate your debt. In this case, see if the interest savings outweigh the costs resulting from balance transfer fees in your case. Once again, you need to budget wisely and plan for the long-term so that you remain financially comfortable once the 0% APR offer ends.
MoneyGeek has a defined and meticulous review process for credit cards. We collect information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau database, standardize data points for fair comparison, estimate average spend profiles, determine long-term value and frequently re-rank our top cards.
How Citi Diamond Preferred Card Compares to Other Cards
The Citi Diamond Preferred Card is a great choice if you are looking for a balance transfer card with a long 0% APR introductory offer. However, there are other cards that might make more sense for you in terms of other fees and costs.
Quick Comparison of Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
- Introductory 0% APR: 18 months
- Regular APR: 13.74%-23.74%
- Annual Fee: $0
- Balance Transfer Fee: 3% of transfer, $5 minimum
- Best For: Those looking for Citi offers
Wells Fargo Platinum
- Introductory 0% APR: 18 months
- Regular APR: 16.49%–24.49%
- Annual Fee: $0
- Balance Transfer Fee: 3% for first 120 days, 5% thereafter with $5 minimum
- Best For: Those looking for free cell-phone insurance and budgeting tools
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Here are some commonly asked questions about the Citi Diamond Preferred Card that can help you decide whether or not you should apply for it.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you are not sure about the Citi Diamond Preferred Card, you can check out our top picks for balance transfer cards for other options. If you do not want a balance transfer card, take a look at rewards cards or travel cards.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Chase United Club Infinite
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Citi Premier Card
American Express Blue Business Cash Card
U.S. Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase United Business
Capital One Venture
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
American Express Blue Business Plus Credit Card
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Capital One VentureOne Rewards
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
American Express Cash Magnet Card
Chase Freedom Flex
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
Citi Double Cash Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier
American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business
American Express Business Gold Card
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card