The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
In this Chase Slate Edge℠ review, MoneyGeek analyzes the card’s features and benefits. Its main appeal is its 0% intro APR on new purchases and balance transfers for 18 months from when you open your account. This means you pay zero interest when making a large purchase or consolidating your debt. In addition, this credit card doesn’t charge an annual fee. However, it doesn’t offer any rewards. MoneyGeek covers the details of the Chase Slate Edge℠ credit card to help you decide if it’s a good fit for you.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Has Rewarding Welcome Offer
- Recommended CreditFair–Excellent
Chase Slate Edge℠ at a Glance
In addition to its introductory 0% APR offer, Chase Slate Edge℠ has two benefits: a yearly APR reduction and an automatic higher credit limit review when you pay on time and spend $500 in your first six months. These benefits can be useful if you’re looking to improve your credit scores.
>>MORE: BALANCE TRANSFERS WITH CHASE — HERE'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Chase Slate Edge℠
A good no annual fee card with a 0% intro APR offer
- Fair–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 19.99% – 28.74% VariableAPR
- 18 monthsBalance Transfer Duration
- 18 monthsAPR Offer Duration
Pros & Cons Explained
While Chase Slate Edge℠’s benefits are appealing, it’s important to consider its drawbacks before signing up for this card.
- Long 0% intro APR offerYou don’t have to pay any interest for 18 months with a Chase Slate Edge℠, making it a good choice for customers looking to finance a new purchase or pay off existing credit card debt.
- No annual feeThere are no annual fees with this card, which means you’re saving an average of at least $110 each year.
- Annual APR reduction with good usageIf you pay on time and spend at least $1,000 on your card by your next account anniversary, you’ll be eligible for a 2% APR reduction each year until it reaches the Prime Rate plus 9.74%.
- Automatic credit line increase with responsible usageYour account will be automatically reviewed for a higher credit limit when you pay on time and spend $500 in your first six months. This can help lower your credit utilization rate and improve your credit score.
- Foreign transfer feeIf you use this card outside the country, you’ll be charged 3% of the amount of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
- Balance transfer feeThe card has a 3% balance transfer fee for the first 60 days of your account, then $5 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater.
- No rewards programThe Chase Slate Edge℠ credit card does not have a rewards program.
Every month, MoneyGeek analyzes data of each credit card and selects the top picks for popular card categories. Check out which cards made it to our list of best balance transfer credit cards in 2022.
Other Features Explained
Aside from its excellent 0% APR offer and incentives for good credit card habits, Chase Slate Edge℠ has other key features worth noting.
>>MORE: CHASE ULTIMATE REWARDS: PROGRAM GUIDE
- Card FeatureDescription
- Zero liability protectionYou won’t be responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card if it is lost or stolen.
- Purchase protectionChase will protect your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Fraud alertsYou will be notified by phone, text or email if Chase detects unusual activity with your account.
The first $500 you spend not only counts towards your credit line increase but also towards the $1,000 you need to be evaluated for an APR reduction.
Understanding the Fine Print
Before pursuing your Chase Slate Edge℠ application, it’s vital to understand the fine print so you won’t be caught off guard by the fees that come with the card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR19.99% – 28.74% Variable
- Annual Fee$0
- Balance Transfer Fee$5 or 3% in the first 60 days. After that, either $5 or 5%, whichever is greater.
- Balance Transfer APR19.99% – 28.74% Variable
- Late FeesUp to $40
After 18 months of 0% APR, the regular APR for purchases and balance transfers is 19.99% – 28.74% based on your creditworthiness.
The Chase Slate Edge℠ credit card doesn’t charge an annual fee.
Balance Transfer Fee
When you transfer your balances to this card within 60 days after account opening, you’ll pay 3% of the amount transferred or $5. After that period, the balance transfer fee will be $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Cash Advance Fee
Cash advances with the Chase Slate Edge℠ credit card have a fee of $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater.
Foreign Transaction Fee
Chase Slate Edge℠ charges a foreign transaction fee of 3% for each transaction.
If you compare Chase Slate Edge℠ with other balance transfer cards, make sure to check the balance transfer fee and the length of the introductory 0% APR period to determine the best option.
If you want to see how it stacks up against a card you already have, go through your latest billing statement or visit the card issuer’s website. Additionally, you can get more information from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Chase Slate Edge℠?
Other Considerations for Chase Slate Edge℠
Before filling out your Chase Slate Edge℠ application, think about how you plan on using the card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan to have the Chase Slate Edge℠ as your first or only credit card, you’ll be relieved to know you don’t have to pay an annual fee. The card also lets you make a large purchase or pay down debt without interest for 18 months.
However, once that period is over and you carry a balance, the card’s relatively high APR could lead to significant expenses. On the other hand, if you have good credit card habits and spend enough, you’ll automatically be eligible for a credit increase and an APR reduction.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you plan on having the Chase Slate Edge℠ as an additional card, you can benefit by transferring balances from your other cards to this one to consolidate your debt. Just remember to budget wisely so your interest burden won’t significantly increase after the 18-month period ends.
MoneyGeek reviews and ranks credit cards using a well-defined and streamlined methodology. Our process involves gathering information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database, standardizing data points, estimating average spend profiles and determining the three-year value of cards. We also carry out regular re-ranking as credit card details and offers change.
How Chase Slate Edge℠ Compares to Other Cards
Chase Slate Edge℠’s benefits make it a good choice for those looking for a balance transfer credit card. However, it’s important to see how it stacks up against other cards in the same category so you can determine if it’s the right fit for you.
Quick Comparison of Chase Slate Edge℠
Chase Slate Edge℠
- Introductory 0% APR: 18 months, then a variable APR of 19.99% – 28.74%
- Regular APR: 19.99% – 28.74% variable
- Annual Fee: $0
- Foreign Transfer Fee: 3%
- Best For: Those who want to improve their credit score
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
- Introductory 0% APR: 21 months, then a variable APR of 17.99% – 28.74%
- Regular APR: 17.99% – 28.74% variable
- Annual Fee: $0
- Foreign Transfer Fee: 3%
- Best For: Those who want to take advantage of Citi offers
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
If you think the Chase Slate Edge℠ is the best balance transfer card for you, you can learn more about it by understanding the answers to some of these frequently asked questions.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you’re unsure that the Chase Slate Edge℠ is the right card for you, consider taking a look at other balance transfer cards for more options. If you don’t want a balance transfer card, you may benefit from a rewards card or a cash back card.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
United℠ Explorer Card
USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Secured Card
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Milestone Mastercard® - $700 Credit Limit
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Mastercard® Black Card™
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
OakStone Gold Secured Mastercard®
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Chase Slate Edge℠
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
United Gateway℠ Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Citi® Double Cash Card
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
World of Hyatt Credit Card
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Spark 1.5% Cash Select
World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Chase. "Slate Edge credit card." Accessed February 27, 2022.
- Chase. "Pricing Information." Accessed February 27, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed February 27, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.