The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Mastercard® Black Card™
A great travel reward card with no foreign transaction fee and many travel benefits.
- 1.5% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 19.99% VariableAPR
- $495Annual Fee
- ExcellentRecommended Credit
MoneyGeek’s methodology for this review involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data points, analyzing potential cardholder profiles, considering annual and introductory bonuses, establishing the card values and reviewing data monthly to reprocess rankings.
With this card, you earn one point per dollar spent on every purchase. These points do not expire as long as the account remains open. You can redeem these points at a rate of 1.5 cents for every point as cash back or for airline tickets at 2 cents for every point.
Mastercard® Black Card™ Overview
The Mastercard® Black Card™ offers a premium list of rewards and bonuses for its customers. These rewards are tailored to the needs of frequent travelers.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees
- Get up to $250,000 travel accident insurance
- Transfer balance from another card at 0% intro APR
- Get $100 in airline credit
- Get other travel benefits worth $500
- Get up to $100 per day in baggage delay insurance
- Get up to $5,000 in trip cancellation insurance
Important Card Details
The fine print of the Mastercard® Black Card™ will help you understand the various fees and charges associated with the card like its regular APR, annual fee, points rewards rate, balance transfer APR and foreign transaction fee.
This card has a reasonable variable regular APR of 19.99%. You should pay off your balance in full every month to avoid accumulating a high amount of interest on your balance.
With a striking $495 yearly fee, this card can prove to be quite expensive if you are not a frequent traveler. Although there are many travel benefits offered, the annual fee is still high.
Points Reward Rate
You get one point for every dollar you spend with this card. To maximize your rewards, you should use it for travel expenses as much as possible.
Balance Transfer APR
You can transfer the balance from another card within 45 days of opening the account, and you’ll qualify for an intro balance transfer APR of 0%, then a variable APR of 19.99% thereafter.
Foreign Transaction Fee
This card is mainly focused on travelers; that’s why it doesn’t have foreign transaction fees.
With the Mastercard® Black Card™, you also get access to more travel benefits.
- 24/7 concierge service: To help you save time while traveling, you have access to a 24/7 luxury concierge service through phone, live chat and email.
- Baggage delay insurance: If your baggage gets delayed for any reason, you can get up to $100 per day as compensation.
- Trip cancellation insurance: In case of canceled flights due to covered reasons, you’ll have insurance up to $5,000 worth of coverage.
How the Mastercard® Black Card™ Compares To Other Cards
As compared to other cards in the same category, Mastercard® Black Card™ has a very high annual fee and does not offer enough rewards to justify it.
How the Mastercard® Black Card™ Compares
Mastercard® Black Card™
- Purchase APR: 19.99%
- Annual fee: $495
- International transactions fee: $0
- Points reward rate: 1 point per dollar spent
- Best for: Elite travelers looking for a luxury travel rewards card
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- Purchase APR: 21.24% – 28.24% variable
- Annual fee: $95
- International transactions fee: $0
- Points reward rate: 1-5 points in different categories
- Best for: Frequent travelers looking for a card with a good points reward rate
Frequently Asked Questions
- Luxury Card. "Mastercard® Black Card™." Accessed August 30, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.