The Plum Card® from American Express Review
The Plum Card® from American Express benefits are tailored to suit businesses that want flexible payment options and unlimited rewards for early payments. With The Plum Card® from American Express, you can carry a balance with no interest and earn 1.5% cash back every time you pay your bill early.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
If you run a small business, The Plum Card® from American Express offers good value and a simple reward structure. This business card does not have a preset spending amount and allows you up to 60 days to pay your monthly bill without interest provided you make the minimum payments on time. The Plum Card® from American Express benefits also include free employee cards. However, this card has limited rewards, and the only way to get cashback is by paying your bill early.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
The Plum Card® from American Express at a Glance
The Plum Card® from American Express has a regular APR of 0%. This can mean big savings on interest charges. As long as you pay the minimum due on time, you can hold a balance on this card interest-free for up to 60 days. In addition, making payments early earns you 1.5% cashback with no limits on how much you can earn. This flexibility makes this business card ideal for small businesses looking for a credit card.
- The Plum Card® from American Express
Great no preset spending limit card with flexible payback methods
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $250Annual Fee
- 1.5% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 1.5xRewards Rate on Groceries
- 1.5xRewards Rate on Gas
Pros & Cons Explained
When choosing the best business card for your needs, it is important to weigh the pros and cons as well as evaluate how they will impact you. Here are the main perks and downsides of The Plum Card® from American Express.
- No preset limit on how much you can spendThe Plum Card from American Express is a flexible business card that does not have a fixed limit on how much you can spend. This gives you the flexibility you need to handle your payments without worrying about caps or limits.
- 0% Regular APRThis business card allows you to hold a balance without paying any interest. You can hold your balance for up to 60 days interest-free as long as you pay the minimum due on your card on time.
- 1.5% cashback for early paymentEvery early payment you make on your The Plum Card® from American Express earns 1.5% cashback. There is no limit to the cashback you can earn for early payments.
- Free employee cardsYou can get additional cards for free, meaning that you will not pay any annual fees for employee cards.
- High annual feeThe Plum Card® from American Express has a relatively high annual fee of $250.
- Restrictive reward optionsYou can only earn rewards on this card if you pay it off early.
The Plum Card® from American Express is not on MoneyGeek’s list of the best credit cards. If you are looking for a business card with great reward options and a low (or no) annual fee, you can review our list of the best business cards that offer the most value depending on your needs.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
To help you better understand The Plum Card® from American Express’s bonuses and rewards, we’ve researched more information about the rewards program, how to redeem your rewards, ways to maximize your rewards as well as the card’s interest-free period.
The Plum Card® from American Express rewards are limited to 1.5% cash back as long as you pay your card early. You will get 1.5% cash back for any payment you make at least 10 days before your statement closing date. There is also no cap on the amount of cashback you can earn.
All the cashback earned for early payment is automatically applied to your account as a statement credit on the next billing cycle. This means that there is no other way for you to redeem your rewards other than statement credits.
Maximize Your Rewards
The best way to get the maximum value out of The Plum Card® from American Express benefits is to use the card for all your business purchases since it has no spending limit. Then, you should pay off the balance early to get statement credits.
You can also take advantage of the 60-day interest-free period when you need to carry a balance without interest for up to 60 days. This can save you costly interest charges.
Other Features Explained
The Plum Card® from American Express provides many other features that might be beneficial for you.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Standard FeaturesThe standard benefits of The Plum Card® from American Express include purchase and rental car insurance, additional employee cards at no extra cost, expense management tools, 24/7 emergency assistance and an extended warranty on eligible purchases.
- Customer SatisfactionThe Plum Card® from American Express has above-average customer satisfaction and is ranked second in the J.D. Power U.S. Small Business Credit Card Satisfaction Study. Cardholders also get access to 24/7 customer service by phone, live chat or through American Express social media accounts.
- Security FeaturesAmerican Express monitors card activity and will send you alerts if suspicious activity is detected on your card. You can also get your card replaced for free if you report it stolen or lost and you will not be held liable for any fraudulent transactions.
The early payment cashback reward on The Plum Card® from American Express means that businesses that make all their purchases using this card and pay them off early can easily offset the $250 annual cost in the form of cash back.
Understanding the Fine Print
The Plum Card® from American Express carries limited fees and charges. These are the key fees and rates you can expect on this card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$250
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1.5% Cash Back
- Airline Benefits
You will pay $250 yearly for an American Express Plum card. However, any additional employee cards do not incur any annual fees.
This card has a 0% APR, which means you can hold a balance on this card for 60 days with no interest.
Cashback rewards rate
The Plum Card® from American Express benefits include a 1.5% cash back on early payments made at least 10 days before the statement date. Cashback rewards are not capped.
Late payments and returned payments incur penalty fees of up to $39. If you miss a payment for two billing cycles, you will incur a $39 penalty or 2.99% of the past due amount, whichever is greater.
Foreign transaction fee
This card does not have any foreign transaction fees. As a result, it can be used to make purchases worldwide at no extra charge.
If you would like more details on The Plum Card® from American Express, you can get up-to-date information from the American Express website. You can even review information on rates and charges from your account statement or online account. Authority sites like MoneyGeek are also good sources when you want to review credit cards. Furthermore, the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau contains useful information.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider The Plum Card® from American Express?
Other Considerations for The Plum Card® from American Express
Whether you plan on using The Plum Card® from American Express as your first or only card or an additional card in your wallet, there are some key considerations you should keep in mind in terms of whether the card is right for you or how to maximize its benefits. Make sure to evaluate the following to ensure you use the card effectively to minimize fees and get as many benefits from the card as possible.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan on making The Plum Card® from American Express your primary business card, you should be aware of the following benefits and restrictions:
High spending limit
This card does not have a spending limit, so you can use it for all your business purchases. You can then maximize these purchases by paying off your bill early and earning 1.5% cash back. This will be automatically applied to your next statement.
You can hold interest fee balances on this card for up to 60 days provided you pay the minimum amount due on time. This means using this card as your primary business card can save you a lot on interest charges over time.
The Plum Card® from American Express credit score requirement
With a good credit score of 690 or higher, you can qualify for an The Plum Card® from American Express.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
For business owners who want a business card with more reward options, you can still pay to have The Plum Card® from American Express as a secondary card. Keep in mind the following.
No foreign transaction fees
This card has no foreign transaction fees and no spending limits. If you have other cards that implement these restrictions, you could use this card to supplement that kind of spending.
You can transfer major purchases to The Plum Card® from American Express since it allows you to hold balances with no interest fees for up to 60 days provided you pay the minimum amount on time.
Early payment cashback
When you want to pay off large purchases before the statement due date, it pays to use the American Express Plum card since you can get 1.5% cashback on your payments with no caps on the rewards.
MoneyGeek’s methodology consists of a comprehensive review process that is used to rate the best credit cards for different consumer profiles. We use factors such as card fees, interest rates, rewards, benefits and more to determine the best credit cards for different needs. Our comprehensive six-step process involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data point weights, establishing the cards' value and finding out how it ranks for different categories. We also review data monthly and other key rating factors.
How The Plum Card® from American Express Compares to Other Cards
For businesses that value flexibility over rewards, The Plum Card® from American Express provides great value. However, if you are interested in a business card with a more robust rewards program, there are options with better offerings in the market. One example is the Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi.
Quick Comparison of The Plum Card® from American Express
The Plum Card® from American Express
- Annual Fee: $250
- Regular APR: 0%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Rewards Rate: 1.5% cash back on early payments
- Redemption Options: Statement credits.
- Mini Verdict: Best for businesses looking for flexible payment options and interest-free balances
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
- Annual Fee: $0
- Regular APR: 19.74% Variable
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Rewards Rate: 4% cash back on gas, 3% cash back for travel and dining, 2% cash back at Costco stores, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Redemption options: Limited to once a year at Costco Warehouses
- Mini Verdict: Best for businesses that are Costco members and spend a lot on gas, travel and dining expenses.
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
For more information about The Plum Card® from American Express benefits and features, you can find answers to commonly asked questions below.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
The Plum Card® from American Express stands out from other small business credit cards since it emphasizes flexible payments over rewards. Although the annual fee may be high compared to competitors in the same category, if you are looking for a business card that gives you more freedom when it comes to payments, The Plum Card® from American Express is ideal. For those who want more robust cash rewards, flat-rate cash back cards may be a better option to consider.
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
United℠ Business Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
United℠ Explorer Card
United Gateway℠ Card
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Merrick Bank Double Your Line® Secured Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
Fit Mastercard® Credit Card
Milestone® Gold Mastercard®
Disney® Premier Visa® Card
Alliant Visa Signature Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
Credit One Bank® NASCAR® American Express® Credit Card
The Platinum Card® from American Express
Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Payment Information and Fees." Accessed December 15, 2021.
- American Express. "The Plum Card." Accessed December 15, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "U.S. Small Business Credit Card Study." Accessed March 16, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.