The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card
A great card for frequent travelers who are Marriott Bonvoy members
- 2–6 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 20.99% – 29.99% VariableAPR
- $650Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
MoneyGeek’s methodology and comprehensive review process help us to determine the best credit cards for different consumer profiles based on card fees, interest rates, rewards, benefits and more. We use a comprehensive process that involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data point weights, establishing the cards' value and ranks for different categories, reviewing data monthly and other key rating factors.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
If you’re looking for a travel card with premium perks, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card benefits are often enough to offset the $650 annual fee. You can earn 6x points for every dollar spent on Marriot hotel stays, 3x points for flights booked directly with airlines and 3x points for dining. You also get 2x points for all other eligible purchases. These perks plus a $300 annual statement credit for eligible Marriott purchases make this card worth considering if you travel frequently and like to stay at Marriott properties.
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card Overview
If you are a frequent traveler loyal to the Marriott brand, you will get great value from the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card which comes with the following rewards program.
Earn 95,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $6,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership. $300 Brilliant Dining Credit: Each calendar year, get up to $300 (up to $25 per month) in statement credits for eligible purchases made on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card at restaurants worldwide.
Important Card Details
Before signing up for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, here are the key fees and penalty charges you need to be aware of.
The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card has a variable APR of 20.99% – 29.99% based on factors such as creditworthiness. It is important to note that this card does not have an introductory APR.
The annual fee for this card is $650. This rate is higher than the annual fee charged by most travel cards but it can be offset by the annual statement credits you get with the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card.
APR for cash advances
Cash advances have a 29.99% APR which may vary depending on the prevailing prime rate.
Cash advance fees
Cash advances are charged $10 or 5% of the amount, whichever is greater.
Penalty APR and fees
Late payments and returned payments attract a penalty fee of up to $40. The penalty APR for late and returned payments is 29.99%. Once the penalty APR is applied to your account, it will apply for at least six months.
Foreign transaction fees
This card has no transaction fees for any transactions made outside the U.S., so you can use the card globally at no extra charge. See Rates and Fees
The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card is a luxury travel card that offers great value for frequent travelers partial to the Marriott brand
- Standard features: The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card comes with the following standard benefits:
- Car rental collision damage waiver,
- Access to a global assistance hotline,
- Purchase return protection,
- Extended warranties,
- Baggage insurance,
- Trip delay insurance
Eligibility and Benefit level varies by Card. Terms, Conditions, and Limitations Apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details. Underwritten by Amex Assurance Company.
- Customer Service: American Express has a J.D. Power score of 838 out of 1,000 and is ranked first according to J.D. Power's 2020 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. The cardholder experience is enhanced by online and mobile access to customer service, live chat options and a 24/7 hotline.
- Security Features: The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card comes with enhanced security features including EMV chip technology. You can also set up a digital wallet and account alerts to enable you to access your account securely and get notified in case of suspicious card activity.
How the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card Compares To Other Cards
Hefty annual fees are typical for luxury travel cards and the $650 annual fee for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card can be offset by the generous rewards you get with this card. However, for travelers who may not be partial to the Marriott brand, there are better all-around travel cards that will earn you generous rewards for hotel stays and purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.
How the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card Compares
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card
- Annual Fee: $650
- Purchase APR: 20.99% – 29.99% variable
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Rewards Rate: 6x points per dollar for Marriott purchases, 3x points per dollar for flights and dining, and 2x points otherwise
- Redemption Options: Marriott hotel stays, flights, rental cars, room upgrades, gift cards and shopping
- Mini Verdict: Best for travelers who frequent Marriott properties
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
- Annual Fee: $550 (plus $75 for each user)
- Purchase APR: 22.49% – 29.49% Variable
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Rewards Rate: 1x–10x points per dollar split among six reward tiers
- Redemption Options: Chase Ultimate Rewards, cash back, gift cards, Amazon.com orders and Apple purchases
- Mini Verdict: Best for travelers looking for an all-around travel card with generous rewards for all travel purchases
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.