With over 90 years of experience in the insurance business, Nationwide is one of the largest insurance providers in the country. While primarily known for auto insurance, Nationwide now offers several different types of insurance coverage. The Nationwide car insurance portfolio encompasses basic insurance, various upgrades, several special features and multiple discount options. It’s important for the discerning buyer to learn about the pros and cons of Nationwide car insurance and compare options before making a decision.
Auto Insurance Review: Nationwide
Nationwide has a long and illustrious history in the insurance industry and is one of the most trusted names. They are featured in the top 10 in MoneyGeek’s list of the country’s best car insurance companies. On the flip side, their customer service rating is fairly average, and their policies tend to be more expensive than many competitors.
If you are looking for a provider with stable finances and a robust user experience with online tools, Nationwide car insurance can be a great choice. It can also be a good fit for safe drivers and drivers comfortable with technology. However, you can often find cheaper prices with competitors.
How Does Nationwide Auto Insurance Rate?
To properly evaluate insurance providers, MoneyGeek uses a combination of ratings and reviews, including J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings, AM Best financial strength scores and other trusted sources. Overall, Nationwide is one of the best car insurance companies available today.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Based on data provided by J.D. Power, Nationwide earns a score of 822 out of 1,000 points for customer satisfaction. The industry average is 835, so Nationwide's reputation in this area is slightly worse than the typical insurer. J.D. Power's data was also used for these star ratings, which show how Nationwide ranks in several specific categories.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is a regulatory body that evaluates customer service standards by logging the overall number of complaints received and comparing the median number of complaints against the national median of 1.00. Nationwide gets a score of 0.53, denoting a significantly lower number of complaints than most competitors.
AM Best evaluates insurance companies’ financial situations and issues the AM Best Financial Strength Ratings, an indication of fiduciary stability. While this does not serve as a warranty to policyholders, it indicates that the provider is more likely to pay legitimate claims. Nationwide receives a solid rating of A+, only one notch below the maximum rating of A++.
Nationwide Insurance Features
When you shop for car insurance, you might be interested in some of Nationwide’s advanced options. These include a robust online shopping and claims experience and their special SmartRide and SmartMiles plans that allow for saving opportunities. They also offer policyholders numerous resources, including a detailed learning center and real-time repair updates.
Nationwide offers many customer-centric features that make the insurance experience easier and more convenient.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsYou can access rate calculators for several insurance options provided by Nationwide through their website or mobile app.
- Online Price QuotesNationwide offers an easy online quote tool that immediately provides pre-packaged insurance quotes according to customer information, with room for further customization.
- Online Bill PayYou can easily pay bills through the mobile app or website.
- Online ClaimsNationwide provides a simple claims process through its online portal and mobile app.
- Mobile AppNationwide’s robust mobile app allows for online claims, policy management and roadside assistance. There is a separate app for its SmartRide program for safe drivers.
Nationwide Auto Coverage
Nationwide provides basic coverage that encompasses the state-mandated liability insurance in all states, along with other common insurance options. Customers also have the opportunity to customize their policy, opt for a range of upgrades and sign up for special features.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionIn the event of a collision, your insurance provider would pay to repair or replace your vehicle, irrespective of fault.
- Personal Injury ProtectionThis includes medical payment coverage for the policyholder and their passengers in the insured vehicle, irrespective of fault. This also provides coverage for other costs, like lost wages and rehabilitation.
- UninsuredThis covers the costs for uninsured or underinsured people involved in an accident.
- LiabilityNationwide provides financial protection for bodily injury or property damage resulting from an at-fault accident.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Nationwide also offers several features and optional coverages that you can use to supplement your policy.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementAlso called loss of use coverage, this covers the cost of rentals while your car is serviced after an accident.
- Roadside AssistanceNationwide provides around-the-clock roadside assistance if you need emergency car service while on the road.
- Accident ForgivenessYou can make a one-time payment to prevent additional premium costs after your first at-fault accident.
- Gap CoverageThis coverage helps you pay your auto loan if your vehicle is totaled while you still owe more than the car’s depreciated worth.
Available Discounts on Nationwide Car Insurance Coverage
Nationwide offers a range of attractive discounts that can help you save on car insurance costs.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverThe SmartRide program monitors driving patterns and can offer up to 40% discounts for safe drivers, with an automatic discount just for signing up.
- Defensive DriverThis feature provides discounts for policyholders who complete an approved driving safety course and seniors who complete defensive driving courses.
- Good StudentDrivers between the ages of 16 and 24 with good high school or college grades can get an additional discount.
- Multi VehicleThis provides up to 20% savings when you insure multiple vehicles with Nationwide.
- Low MileageThe SmartMiles program rewards you if you use your vehicle sparingly. A base rate and a per-mile variable rate are used to calculate total costs.
Other Nationwide Insurance Products
Apart from car insurance, Nationwide also provides a host of other insurance solutions. It might be a good idea to bundle policies to get discounts.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceThis covers the cost of repairing or replacing your home if it gets damaged. Homeowners insurance can also come with loss of use coverage, medical payments coverage and coverage for specific weather events.
- Renters InsuranceRenters insurance covers property damage and stolen items for renters. It can also include coverage for expensive items and moving costs.
- Life InsuranceNationwide offers universal, variable, term and whole life insurance policies.
- Classic Car InsuranceNationwide offers classic car insurance in partnership with a third party. This comes with lower premiums and guaranteed value coverage.
- Recreational Vehicle InsuranceNationwide provides insurance for motorcycles, boats, RVs, snowmobiles, ATVs and golf carts.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Nationwide
It is easy to file a claim with Nationwide auto insurance using their website, mobile app or voice-activated Claims Center phone line.
Contact Nationwide Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author