Car Insurance in Maryland: How to Find the Policy That Fits You
If you're shopping for car insurance, MoneyGeek has analysis and solutions for all of your car insurance needs.
- I’m in Maryland and I’m looking to find either the cheapest car insurance, the best service and claims experience or a balance of quality and affordability.
- I’m looking to get a Maryland car insurance quote or estimate now.
- I want to learn more about how much car insurance is required in Maryland.
- I want to learn more about specialty insurance policies for those with low income, those who don’t own a car or those who only need car insurance temporarily.
Find the Best or Cheapest Car Insurance in Maryland
MoneyGeek collected and evaluated quotes from many insurers to find the cheapest car insurance provider in Maryland. We also used our methodologies to identify the most cost-effective and affordable companies. MoneyGeek analyzed the impact of age, driving record and other factors on the cost of car insurance quotes.
In the resources above, you can learn more about car insurance for specific types of drivers. The table below provides an overview of what you may discover. All recommendations are for insurance with full coverage unless otherwise noted.
- Minimum liability: Erie
- Full coverage: Erie
- Drivers with a DUI: Erie
- After an accident: USAA
- Drivers with a ticket: Erie
- Drivers with bad credit: Allstate
- Senior drivers: Erie
- Student drivers: Allstate
- Overall: Travelers
- Customer Service: GEICO
- On a Budget: Travelers
- Poor Driving Record: Travelers
- Military: USAA
- Young Drivers: Allstate
- New Cars: Travelers
- Low-Mileage Drivers: Nationwide
Get a Maryland Car Insurance Quote
For the same driver, we found that the annual cost of car insurance in Maryland might vary by as much as $3,054 across different companies. To save money on your insurance, comparing quotes from several providers is essential and doesn’t take much time.
Car Insurance Laws in Maryland
MoneyGeek researched the details on Maryland car insurance state minimums.
The following coverages are required under Maryland law.
- $30,000 bodily injury liability insurance per person
- $60,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $15,000 property damage liability per accident
Since Maryland does not mandate comprehensive or collision insurance, it is vital to figure out how much coverage you need. Insurance requirements for drivers in certain states may vary from the state's minimums.
Specialty Car Insurance in Maryland
In some instances, traditional car insurance may not be the ideal solution for your needs. MoneyGeek researched the available car insurance options in Maryland, such as non-owner auto insurance, temporary car insurance and insurance for low-income drivers, to help you make an informed decision. Learn more about these unique car insurance types in Maryland below.
MoneyGeek Specialty Car Insurance Resources
Non-owner car insurance
Non-owner car insurance in Maryland might be a good option for drivers who often borrow or rent cars and need proof of insurance.
Temporary car insurance
You can get temporary car insurance in Maryland by purchasing a policy and canceling it early or by getting rental car insurance. This is ideal if you will only be driving for a short amount of time.
Car insurance for low-income drivers
There is no government assistance program in Maryland for low-income drivers. MoneyGeek found ways to help you save money on your Maryland car insurance.
About the Author